How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

Unless you already own a 2000NOS, the probability that you will ever own a non-previously owned one is low at the present time. The MannMade 2000NOS trems were manufactured using NOS castings from days when John Mann was producing the Gen I bridge for PRS. It appears that John has depleted the old supply of castings and has been unable to find a foundry that is up to his standards. That is why I went with the MannMade 2040 trem for my 2019 CE24.
Well then I'm definitely not selling the 2000NOS I already own :p

Alright let me see if I can recall the mods I did:

2004 Custom 24 Brazilian Edition: changed VB/HFS to older covered 59/09’s, then to 53/10 neck with \m/ bridge, then swapped the 53/10 to an 85/15 and kept the \m/, changed to 58/15LT neck with 59/09 bridge, swapped out the 58/15LT for 57/08, swapped that set out for Dragon 1’s, and finally landed on early P22’s. Also changed the rotary out for a 3 way toggle, changed pickup rings to rosewood, rosewood tuner buttons, rosewood vol & tone knobs, rosewood switch tip.

2009 Standars 24: bought with a set of Tremontis, swapped out for Dragon 2’s. Stupidly sold that one.

2012 408: Ivoroid tuner buttons *sold years ago*

2012 Signature Limited: didn’t do much, changed the pickup rings from white to dark and back

2008 SC245: came with #7’s which I swapped to BKP Mule & Riff Raff, then swapped the Riff Raff to Mule bridge, Schroeder gold adjustable bridge, gold Phase 3’s

SE One Korina: SE locking tuners, swapped P90 to Paul’s Guitar treble, core nut, Schroeder adjustable Stoptail and locking screws

2009 Mira Korina: swapped out Mira pickups for early unetched 57/08’s, tuner buttons to ebony *Really wish I had that one again!

2009 Starla: Callahan Bigsby upgrades

20th Anniversary Singlecut Trem: swapped #6’s out for 58/15LTs

1991 Standard 24: changed the VB/HFS to P22’s, then to Dragon 1’s and then back to the VB/HFS (swapped magnet in VB to Alnico 4), tuner buttons to ebony

2006 Standard 22: Dragons 2’s swapped to 53/10 & 85/15 combo, then swapped to Dragon 1’s

2010 Custom 22 Soapbar Limited: changed tuner buttons to box wood, previous owner changed the bridge soapbar to Dimarzio P90 sized humbucker

2006 Swamp Ash Special: swapped McCarty’s for 53/10 neck and 85/15 treble, cream rings to black. Still looking for phase 2 ebony buttons. If you have some to dispose of let me know!

SE Torero: EMGs to Blackouts and then back to EMGs when I got rid of it.

I think that about covers them all :oops::oops:

By the way, I have modified 3 of the 6 PRS guitars that I have owned. I still own two of the guitars that I modified (2019 CE24 and 2010 Mira Korinia) and one that I did not modify because it was perfection from the factory; namely, a 2011 MC58 that I purchased at Experience 2012. That was the year when the Experience guitar was the Multi-Foil Limited Swamp Ash Studio. I went into the showroom to purchase a Multi-Foil and came out with the MC58. It is one of the nicest PRS guitars I have ever played.

dVasU93.jpg

dX9QFU4.jpg

Last edited:
Alright let me see if I can recall the mods I did:
2009 Mira Korina: swapped out Mira pickups for early unetched 57/08’s, tuner buttons to ebony *Really wish I had that one again!

Here's my 2009 Mira Korina. I purchased the guitar new in early 2010. I swapped out the black pickguard and truss rod cover for a white pearl pickguard and a white pearl truss rod cover (it currently sports an engraved black truss rod cover that says, "Li'l Miss K" in white). I almost eBayed the guitar until I sent to the PTC to have a free set of 57/08s installed (I received a PTC coupon with the guitar). It was like they sprinkled fairy dust on the guitar at the PTC. From what understand, PRS only manufactured 100 of these guitars, so they are as rare as any other limited production instrument.

O5HtniF.jpg

4ril9jr.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't owned a guitar I haven't modded somehow since probably 1996? There may have been one or two very short lived SEs I bought from Guitar Center used online and then returned without any modding because they were in very rough shape, much worse than described. But those, we're talking "owning" for less than a week, not really owning.

I tweak on everything I own. It's a bad habit I have no intention of breaking as it's half the fun of a hobby to me. The best PRS outcome to date has been my 30th SE Cu24 Floyd. I pulled ALL the electronics from a DW CE including jack, switch, pots, pups, etc I sanded the gloss off the neck for a silky smooth satin feel. It obviously doesn't need lockers with the locking nut but they look so cool I put on some hipshot tuners from the parts drawer. Swapped out the rest of the miscellaneous hardware, buffed, polished, and oiled everything to what we see today...

Screenshot_20210427-003317_Gallery5bbbf54bb4a2fcfb.jpg

neck-heel2255b9a513f0cd385.jpg

t20201116_1336042c502589ee4c2484.jpg

If I closed my eyes and didn't know the differences like violin carve one would be hard pressed to tell this from core in sound and feeel. I second guess myself sometimes but in all honesty this started out as one of the best SE's I've played to date and now it's absolutely phenomenal!

Three out of six.

Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials on my S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow.

Starla pickups and Gotoh tuners on my Zach Myers.

Vibramate Spoiler on my Starla.

Porter, Vintage Clean pickups, for a warmer sound, in my S2 Custom 22.

In the past, I had older core models where I changed the 5-way switch to a 3-way. Replaced the pickups, because I didn't like them. And replaced tuners because they went bad. I've actually made less changes on newer S2 models.

Last edited:
I modify all of my guitars. Usually I swap a pickup or two. Sometimes I add a cool function. I modify about half when I buy them and the other half down the road when they finally annoy me enough or when my tastes change.

SC245 changed pickups
P245 added a battery off switch so I can leave it plugged in, changed TRC
Singlecut changed pickups, changed fixed bridge to adjustable, changed knobs, changed TRC
HBii changed bridge pickup from archtop to 58/15LT, added treble bleed, changed TRC
Silver Sky - removed TRC
SE One - born perfect. So far.

I play the heck out of them, so I “modify” the finishes. Scratches and dings on the lot, even though I really do treat them with kid gloves. I’m a bit of a bull in a china shop.

I'm 6 for 9 - stock ones are the 594, S2 Studio, and SE acoustic. Wouldn't change a thing on the 594 except maybe shielding the control cavity. The only thing I could see doing to the Studio is a Mann trem, again maybe.

SE CU24, ZM, and Akesson have all gotten pickup swaps (although the Akesson didn't really need it, but I had a set of 57/08's), S2 Satin 22 and Custom 22 SH each had one of their #7 pickups swapped out, different one in each case, those S2 #7's are an oddly matched set.

All four of mine. Mainly cosmetic changes.

Paul's SE - Wood pup rings, black chrome covers, bone nut, Gotoh locking tuners, shielding, jack plate, new TRC, knobs.

35th SE - PRS pup rings, pearl chrome covers, Tusq nut, Mannmade saddles, wood backplates, knobs, jack plate, Gotoh locking tuners, new TRC.

Singlecut - Everything.

Angelus A50E - TRC, locking tuners.

Come on, there’s children on these boards!

Modded all of them except Mr. Clean. Granted, @crgtr did the mods before it came to Rancho Boogie, but nothing I wouldn’t have done myself...except having dozens of pickup sets to choose from (the best of the lot is still installed).

Ok, I guess all of them are modded. Heck, the CU24 doesn’t even have a neck pickup in it right now. Wait...the SE Angelus acoustic...it’s bone stock!

Yeah but Scott and I don’t count!;)

2 out of 6 are modified for me. I might change some knobs on my HB and Archtop but I won’t be doing anything else, and I’m not touching my Santana or the Zappa.

My Holcomb SVN got a nut upgrade.

And it’s quicker to list what’s original than changed on my CU22. The tremolo block, claw and springs, and the tuner guts are original. Everything else was changed, even the finish as many of you have seen.

I put DMZ 36 anniversary's in my core Mira. But then a couple of years ago went back to the stock pickups. That's it. My McCarty P90 and NF3 are stock

EG lll with Dominos- bone stock
Custom 22 soapbar- bone stock
Swamp ash Special- wood pickup rings and a Freeway 6 way switch. Now there are 6 sounds I can get to with the
flick of a switch, 12 total
509- Bone stock
Johnny Hiland- Bone stock
DC3- badass to the bone stock
SE Hollowbody piezo- locking tuners with plastic tuning buttons (thanks, Eddie Kim) to counteract
neck dive. It worked.
CE 2- basket cast that had been rode hard and put away wet. Rebuilt by Philtone Music with 57/08’s
S2 Studio- bone stock
S2 Custom 24- wood pickup rings only.
30th Anni SE Custom 2 - Hipshot tuners, core nut, USA electronics with stock pickups, John Mann
milcom trem, Puretone input Jack on a brass plate
SE Tremonti Custom- Hipshot users, USA nut, all new shielding, core Mira pickups on maple rings,
center detente rotary pickup selector, USA electronics with 2 push pulls. Puretone input Jack on a
brass plate.
SE Singlecut 2-P90’s- another basket case rebuilt by Philtone Music, Hipshot’s, USA nut, 300k volume, Fender
TBX tone, Schroeder bridge & locking studs, brass plate/ input Jack.
SE Singlecut Custom- Hipshot’s, USA nut, USA #7’s with wood pickup rings, rotary pickup selector.
SE Singlecut- Hipshot’s, locking studs, done.

Back