First Private Stock Pep Talk

I like your build, but I prefer the backplates to be made from the back - particularly if you get a nicely figured back. They match them up really well now and it looks great. With a less interesting back, maple plates are quite reasonable.
CK_829BackNeckFigureAAA.jpeg

You know, I'm thinking that is a good idea--the 594 backplates don't take up a whole lot of real estate, which also makes it seem like you're not "gaining" much by staining some small pieces of maple as opposed to letting the wood do its thing.

Thanks, veinbuster! I think I might just make that change.

I didn't take the time to read this whole thread, but if it hasn't already been suggested, I would suggest DGT wiring while keeping the individual tone tap pots. The DGT parallel circuit allows you to trim neck and bridge volumes in the middle position without the bridge volume choke of the traditional series circuit. Otherwise, you're on your way to one b!tchin axe!

I've not had much experience with the DGT wiring swap from a 4-knob model (the 594)--but I have noticed the volume choke to which you refer on my P245. Honestly, that's one reason why I liked the SC58 I had before--I could dial up a bit more bridge in the middle position with the dual volume control. Might that obviate the problem? I haven't had to think of nitty gritty circuit physics since the mid-2000s :p

So if you think you will only ever have one, then make sure you have one single mental image of that guitar for to live up to.

Over the years I have been contacted about PS builds more times than I could count. And this nails it. In fact I'd usually end my conversations with something similar.

It's not what color you want. It's what color you want first.

:p

I've not had much experience with the DGT wiring swap from a 4-knob model (the 594)--but I have noticed the volume choke to which you refer on my P245. Honestly, that's one reason why I liked the SC58 I had before--I could dial up a bit more bridge in the middle position with the dual volume control. Might that obviate the problem? I haven't had to think of nitty gritty circuit physics since the mid-2000s :p

You don't have to completely switch to the DGT control layout, just specify parallel neck and bridge tone circuits: have each circuit go VOL-TONE-OUTPUT. The 4 knob traditional layout is Neck VOL--Neck TONE--Bridge VOL--Bridge TONE--Output. This way when you switch to the neck position and the Bridge is rolled off, you get choked. Go Neck VOL--Neck TONE==Output==Bridge Tone--Bridge VOL and you're golden. Mixy mixy in the middle, no problem, and you keep your individual coil splits on each tone pot.

Update! The deed is done! Plunked down the cash and the rest is up to Doug at Wild West! I'm so stoked! To recap:

McCarty 594
Flamed maple top, headstock veneer, and TR cover
Figured mahogany back and matching plates
Ziricote neck with pattern vintage carve, BRW board, flamed maple binding all around
Old school abalone birds with MOP outlines, same for THE EAGLE!! Ziricote buttons!
58/15LTs with ziricote rings
Stock 594 knobs, wiring

Color is (hopefully) going to be copperhead or black gold with violet/fuschia streaks along the figure!!!
This is going to take a bit of trial and error, but I'm thinking it can happen--and PRS assures me they will be able to!

Thanks again for all the input, gents. As you may notice, I incorporated a few things your hive mind suggested!

...and now...I wait...gaaaaahhhhhh :mad::mad::confused:

Last edited:
Update! The deed is done! Plunked down the cash and the rest is up to Doug at Wild West! I'm so stoked! To recap:

McCarty 594
Ziricote neck with pattern vintage carve, BRW board, flamed maple binding all around
Old school abalone birds with MOP outlines, same for THE EAGLE!! Ziricote buttons!
Stock 594 knobs, wiring

Color is (hopefully) going to be copperhead or black gold with violet/fuschia streaks along the figure!!!
This is going to take a bit of trial and error, but I'm thinking it can happen--and PRS assures me they will be able to!

Thanks again for all the input, gents. As you may notice, I incorporated a few things your hive mind suggested!

Wow, can't wait to see your color turnout.

McCarty 594
Stock 594 knobs, wiring

Congrats!

Downside to ordering a custom private stock guitar: the excruciating next several months. :D

Sounds like it will be an awesome guitar, and congratulations on your purchase!

Killer build, hope the waiting build flies by quickly
For all of us so we ogle, enjoy and drool over your pictures
Steady on brother

Way overdue (and previously posted in another thread), but here's the pile o' goodies (sans maple veneer, which PRS is picking)!!

20160517_132324_resized_zpsmpo0pa84.jpg

I'm having some second thoughts on color; I'm torn between purple/fuchsia/violet/red combo of some kind vs something earthier (bronze, copperhead, olive). I scrapped the copperhead with fuchsia streaks because I found a similar looking pattern online...and wasn't too crazy about it. I love the top, I don't want to obscure it with something too "loud," but I think some brighter contrast against the mahogany and ziricote will look killer. Pics, opinions, and admonishments welcomed ;)

Jan '17 can't come fast enough! I promise that's not a complaint :rolleyes:....

Last edited:
I'm having some second thoughts on color; I'm torn between purple/fuchsia/violet/red combo of some kind vs something earthier (bronze, copperhead, olive). I scrapped the copperhead with fuchsia streaks because I found a similar looking pattern online...and wasn't too crazy about it. I love the top, I don't want to obscure it with something too "loud," but I think some brighter contrast against the mahogany and ziricote will look killer. Pics, opinions, and admonishments welcomed ;)
Dude, that purple/fuchsia/magenta?/violet/red/wine? combo sounds very close to what I'm (going to be) doing, so of course I would prefer that on yours! Mine's going to be a crossfade, if that helps. I have to figure out what the difference between magenta and fuschia first, then how to arrange them. If you had asked me a couple months ago, I would have gone with blue-green/blue-purple/red-purple. But then I see something like espresso, and I double-think myself.
225150-body-xlarge.jpg

Here's the problem -- you can't lose, no matter what you decide. They will all look spectacular.

Dude, that purple/fuchsia/magenta?/violet/red/wine? combo sounds very close to what I'm (going to be) doing, so of course I would prefer that on yours! Mine's going to be a crossfade, if that helps. I have to figure out what the difference between magenta and fuschia first, then how to arrange them. If you had asked me a couple months ago, I would have gone with blue-green/blue-purple/red-purple. But then I see something like espresso, and I double-think myself.
225150-body-xlarge.jpg

Here's the problem -- you can't lose, no matter what you decide. They will all look spectacular.

I must admit to kind of stalking that one myself, other than the ziracote neck, very similar to something I would order myself. I get the impression that ziracote would sound like a rosewood neck and as a funny guy in a Flying circus film once said "we already got one!"

Back