First Private Stock Pep Talk

Defpony

*ALERT: long post ahead, probably re-hashing past posts on the forum*

Hi all,

Welp, I'm there. Having fully cycled through the PRS obsessive/fanboy/devotee mindset, I'm at the point of being fiscally comfortable-ish with plunking down $$ for a PS guitar. Have finances in order (and extra shifts on the work schedule o_O). Have the wife's blessing. Have discussed builds with a few dealers and shopped prices as best as I think I am able...

...but I think I might be getting cold feet. Anyone else go through this before they pulled the trigger on one of these fantastic (and exorbitantly expensive) instruments? Anyone, dare I ask, regret it? I realize those folks have probably removed themselves from the forum, and I know some of you PRS acolytes have multiple PS instruments and probably can't imagine getting anything less.

I'm still having the occasional dialogue in my head that says: "You know, a WL library guitar and money in the bank is a fine thing--why don't you chill?", as well as "How about you broaden the collection and get a nice AP Cu24--and grab the ES-335 you've been looking at, too--and STILL come under budget compared to the instrument you're envisioning." I'm new to this kind of purchase (have never bought a 'luxury' item, per se; I have lived and will be living comfortably middle-class), so, I'm thinking that's part of it.

The other part of it is the 'pay-to-play' cost up front that makes it tough to stop with the PS 'basics' on your build. I.e., you've spent x dollars, might has well spend +0.15x to get the BRW neck while you're here. To some degree, part of me feels compelled to get the bells/whistles unique to PS in order to justify the purchase. The eagle on the headstock is nice, but...OK, it's awesome(!) but, slippery slope, etc. However, I feel like if I gave in to one of the previously described scenarios, I'd still be dreaming of a PS months later...Advice/affirming head-nods appreciated here.

...and on the other hand, this is a 'good' time in my life. I'm turning 30, starting a great new job, haven't royally messed up anything, and will likely be having kids in the next 1-2 years, so, if I were to capitalize on my disposable income, now would kinda be the time! I might as well enjoy the mid-life crisis guitar now! You only live once! Amazing how easy it is to rationalize things to yourself, right ;)?

Oh, and the basics, I suppose (subject to change):

McCarty 594
One piece flamed top
Matching maple back
BRW neck (still on the fence on if I get the knobs, tuners, etc)
Color is being concocted...abalone birds, board purfling, PS eagle

Any build/wood insight would be great, as well. I picked BRW based on the 2 guitars I've played back home that have those necks, but I'd be open to hearing about other natural (non-stained), darker neck woods anyone's played. I hear cocobolo is pretty great, as well.

OK, I'll wrap it up. Sometimes, it helps just to cry out into the internet abyss (a mostly helpful one here, of course) and read what comes back.

Thanks in advance. It has been awesome to sit back and soak up the knowledge/hilarity/banter amongst you fine folks on the forum.

I'll try to keep it short.
Yes wood library guitars are good, but they aren't private stock. Private Stock is worth it if you can afford it.
You have a pretty specific build in mind that you are only going to get as a private stock. And you are young enough that I believe you will find that if you go a 'cheaper' route now, you are going to come back and get a private stock later - so you will be buying both and not really saving in the long run. I always try to do this reality check before I buy something big because I hate to spend my money twice to get the end result I'm going to end up demanding.

And yes. I have had second thought before committing to the expense. I have one build that has been in my pocket for about three years now.

Your build is nice. Don't try to do everything. Just build a good guitar that has the things you really care about. A cocobolo neck is amazing. They don't get better looking if they happen to have one when your wood is being selected.

If you are close enough to a top dealer that has some PS samples on hand (new or used), it is worth budgeting the time and $$ to travel to see for yourself. NOT to find one to buy or derail getting EXACTLY what you want, but just to see/hear/feel one for yourself.

I do think I'm going to have to try/see a PS in person--looks like a trip is in order.

And veinbuster, I've had the thought as far as wanting the PS later if I "settled" now (again, the WL guitars are great). Glad to hear it's ok to have a little hesitancy, even if the build/funds/etc are there.

You guys have any recommendations on coming up with a color? I've got and idea, but what about the PS only colors/effects? It'd be nice if PRS had a catalog/color wheel or something...

If you are close enough to a top dealer that has some PS samples on hand (new or used), it is worth budgeting the time and $$ to travel to see for yourself. NOT to find one to buy or derail getting EXACTLY what you want, but just to see/hear/feel one for yourself.

+1

Here's my feeling on the "slippery slope" thought: some of the most beautiful PS guitars I've seen are also the least contrived looking. In fact, my PS acoustic is very plain for PS but also one of the best looking guitars I've seen because the eye concentrates on the woods and design instead of the frills.

Same with my McCarty Singlecut.

Ultimately it's an instrument, and sometimes more isn't more, sometimes more is too much.

My Custom 24 30th Anni PS and the 20th Anni of PS guitars are admittedly fancier, but I certainly am just as happy with the plainer ones.

Last note - I just got a WL guitar that is phenomenal sounding and playing, and while it's not a PS, it sure is sweet; a very special instrument and a superb value.

You guys have any recommendations on coming up with a color? I've got and idea, but what about the PS only colors/effects? It'd be nice if PRS had a catalog/color wheel or something...
Private Stock does lots of guitars that aren't on the colour chart until you put it there. Things that have already been done can give you a sense of the tonal palette but you don't have to pick from a wheel. Talk to Paul Miles about what you want. Even better if you have an example of the colour you are after. Keep in mind that not all materials take colour the same way and no piece of wood will end up with the colour the same everywhere - unless you make it a solid colour. The wood doesn't have the same density throughout so there are variances - which is how you see the grain. Paul knows how the dyes work really well.

In my mind there are two general approaches to this one and it depends on your priorities with regards to woods vs colors. One approach is to pick the woods and design a color/inlay scheme that best compliment those woods and the other is too think about a color/inlay scheme and pick woods that go well with the design. My approach is generally the first one with a little of the second mixed in as I have some tonal goal in mind and pick the woods as the primary driver of the project, but I also think about color schemes beforehand. This can be a more drawn out process than you might think and really one of the most fun parts. Start googling and looking through the PSF thread and dealer websites for ideas and inspiration is my best advice.

I have yet to build a PS guitar -- I have one, but it's a stock model (the PS Singlecut Archtop) -- but I do still intend to. I just took some time off, to ( a ) learn, and ( b ) practice. I feel I need to be at a skill level high enough to be able to appreciate the difference between a private stock and a core model before I acquire a private stock model.

That said, I do fully intend to get one, but not for the cosmetics, but for the tone and playability. I think that should be priority number one. The cosmetics should be secondary. That's the one piece of advice I will give you. If you don't have a sound or a certain playability (or a primary sound or a primary playability, since many of us play multiple guitars for multiple reasons, a lot of us still have a primary or favourite one, either because it's a joy to play, or because it's a joy to listen to) that you are immediately drawn to, then put it off. Not "never do it", just put it off until you find "your guitar".

Here's my reasoning -- we humans have a tendency to double-think ourselves, and if you end up getting your one and only personally designed model, and you end up being drawn to other models afterwards, you're going to regret your purchase. For that kind of money, you shouldn't regret your purchase, and that is entirely in your hands. But it's also perfectly normal -- as males, we are by instincty polyamorous, so our minds wander. So if you think you will only ever have one, then make sure you have one single mental image of that guitar for to live up to.

Dusty Chalk getting deep! Right in line with my thoughts for this process--there is definitely a great deal that goes into the PS build. Veinbuster was hinting at it, as well. Beyond aesthetics (and even tone), there is an idealization of what we envision when we think of a guitar. It's certainly an instrument, but it's also a projection of worth, value, meaning, and hard work(!) I whole-heartedly agree with you with regards to practice. I've been playing for 10+ years, and only recently (within the last 1.5 years) have I really dove in to playing/practicing at the level where I feel excited by the prospect of discovering new sounds/tones/voicing unique to my playing. The investment, so to speak, doesn't end with buying the guitar. It becomes a labor of love to learn, grow, and do that instrument justice. I know there are many a guitar players epochs better than myself who would never be able to own a PS instrument, and so, there is almost an element of stewardship implicit with these instruments (i.e., you better do it f*%^ing justice!). All this gets me thinking I better get one ;)

Also, Dusty Chalk, I saw your archtop on Reverb a few months back and almost pulled the trigger then--very, VERY well done!

:D

Oh did you now? Glad you didn't, it's mah favourite. Think I'll go practice with it a little bit right now.

Defpony,
I am 67 and have only been able to play one PRS, a satin S2 in a local store. I am currently saving as well, for a private stock. It will still take me some time till I am ready, but I am patient.

Every single day, I go through REVERB looking at PRS guitars, and Ebay as well. I have had many guitars, mostly custom built ones, and I have several that are the same type that I favor because, after having owned and/or played so many guitars, I know what I like.

I am not a collector, but when I had many guitars, I still favored the two or three newer ones, until I got my next one.
In this case, if I am able to get a private stock guitar, I will play it as much as my main guitars, and just enjoy it. I play live and practice every morning before work.

What others above have told you is pretty much gospel as I understand things also. If you plan to have children in the next couple of years, now is the time to get your first private stock guitar, so that in the future, if your financial situation does happen to change, you at least have one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wood library, or even stock guitars, but as was also mentioned above, if you do not get a private stock now, you will always have that on your mind and it WILL eat away at you, believe me.
You might even have thoughts of a private stock as soon as you receive a wood library model.

On the other hand, I played PRS guitars for 22 years before getting a PS, and never wanted one until I found that I couldn't get a maple bodied acoustic from PRS unless I went PS. So I got one 3 years ago, thinking this would be the only time.

It wasn't.

The problem was that PS guitars are habit-forming. They should come with warning labels:

The Surgeon General has determined that Private Stock guitars are habit-forming and are harmful to your wallet.;)

I kid. Spoiled as I am by PS, I just got a Wood Library model, and it's great.

My advice would be to buy what you think will inspire you to play. One thought about your wood choices but, first, some context. I'm new to PRS having played Gibsons almost exclusively and just bought a PS 594 Guitar of the Month. The thing that appealed to me about the 594 was the fact that it offered the playability of a PRS double-cut but had the tonal spectrum of a Les Paul with the four-knob configuration. In other words, I was looking for the tone that I love from Les Pauls with all of the advantages of a more-modern design, including better upper fret access, lighter body weight, etc. I love the '594 and, for my uses, it beats any of the dozens of LPs I've owned over the years. I would highly recommend the 594 with four knob configuration if you are looking for a vintage LP type tone. However, I would be hesitant to mess with the formula (assuming that is the tone you want). Adding a rosewood neck and maple back will likely change the tone significantly. Not in a bad way (as tone is highly subjective) but just different from what I suspect the 594 was intended to achieve. The maple back will likely make it brighter, especially given the thickness of the '594 body. If you are not looking for a traditional LP tone then none of that matters. Just my $0.02.

Concerning colors/finishes:

If you haven't already, check out the Private Stock Friday thread:

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/private-stock-friday.2297/

You will find a lot (!) of inspiring finishes there. But don't jump onto something just because it looks wild and great and colorful right now. Let it simmer a bit, and then go back later (weeks or months later, if you have the time). You may find your opinion of something "outrageous" has diminished, and something else, perhaps a little more subtle, or maybe just as outrageous but different, is what appeals to you "now".

I think you are at a good watershed moment in your life to decide to spend some money on something you will really enjoy the rest of your life. If I had the opportunity, I'd jump all over it. I know I've spent far more on stupider things in my life.

I was looking at a Ps but the more I looked the further it seemed to get away from me, I just couldn't find the funds but I kinda got lucky. After spending a few days looking at web sites in the U/K I chanced my arm further afield and was lucky to see a W/L from a well known retailer in America that was 95% what I was looking for in a Ps. I chucked down $2000 for starters and hope to have it when I receive my tax refund. it was handpicked and built for the guy's in the store. I'm trying to kid myself it's what I wanted but without an eagle. Might work for you my friend!!!!!

What PRS guitar do you play right now and what difference will a PS do for you?

A fine question: I play a p245 semi-hollow at the moment. It's a fantastic guitar, full of warmth, has a great feel and look. And a nice piezo to boot! It more than gets the job done.

I'm wanting MORE PRSi, and I'd like the next one (and last one for awhile) to be something I've helped see to fruition. Something truly special. I know it's mostly aesthetics that one is paying for with the PSi--no doubt there's a tonal difference, but I want something in my envisioned color, with my purfling, my adornments, etc. The 594 seems to be a great synthesis of what I've been looking for, with lower output PAF tone packaged in a double-cut body that nails the appearance of PRS that I favor over any other guitar builder. I say that with the thought that PRS will likely make WL or core versions of the 594 at some point. Right? It seems like a home-run not to produce on a larger scale. So, it's back to look and customization then...

Like any big purchase, I know there's branding that I'm paying for. The eagle on the headstock is not unlike the Mercedes hood ornament. There are certainly a number of guitars that will get the job done and then some without being PS level...but there's something really special about the way they've set up that part of their guitar-building...

I bought mine for the "Free Hookers on Demand" feature. But I can only speak for myself.

^
Also, this.

Back