First 35th Anniversary Models Announced

Here is the question, will this be the way that the se cu 24 will be? I want future Selena 24 guitars with an option for this set up. PRS is gonna make me by a s2 cu 24 if I can’t get my hands on this se.

Best CU24 ever. It’s the CU24-08 with a much better pickup selector and improved location.
Yes, I was wondering whether there were any "functional" differences between the 35th CU24 and a 24-08. I suppose the TCI-tuned pups are the only difference, which may or may not be relevant for some folks. Switch type/placements will probably be the biggest real-world difference for many. Sergio, cough cough.

Yes, I was wondering whether there were any "functional" differences between the 35th CU24 and a 24-08. I suppose the TCI-tuned pups are the only difference, which may or may not be relevant for some folks. Switch type/placements will probably be the biggest real-world difference for many. Sergio, cough cough.

Functional differences are really the positions of the switches/knobs. Swapping out the 3way Blade in a 'natural' positions for the 3-way switch behind the bridge may change how you play, or how you feel it is to play. Personally, I have a dislike for any switching - blade or toggle to be that far behind the bridge. I think its to out of the way for my preference and doesn't seem very ergonomic - with a switch on the top horn for example, you can flick it up/down without breaking your strumming rhythm.

I know its probably easier for me as I started with Les Paul so used to having the switch there but I still prefer blades being at the bottom of the guitar, at least level with but preferably in front of the bridge to having switches etc behind the bridge. Ideally, I want Switches or Blades to be forward, as in neck side of the bridge - any where that my hand would naturally be whilst strumming and preferably in an 'ergonomic' direction of the arc of your natural movement.

35_custom_24_2020_vertical.jpg

The 35th Anniversary version has adopted the 'Paul's Guitar' layout and, if I had my choice, I would prefer the 509 layout to the Custom 24-08 which has the mini-toggles a bit further back with the tone/volume closer together around the bridge area but the 5 way blade is further forward - level with the bridge HB. The Custom 24-08 splits the tone and volume pots with the blade and mini toggles between them (not in a line). The blade is a little behind the bridge with the mini toggles a bit further back and the Tone the furthest back. Looking at the Pauls, In terms of 'general' positioning, the mini toggles are in the area the Blade is in on a Custom 24-08, the tone has been moved forward where the mini-toggles are (24-08) and the 3-way switch is where the Tone is (24-08). If the position is an indicator of most 'used' or most important being closet to the strings and least important/used being the furthest back, Volume is the number 1 on both 24's, then mini toggles (35th) or 3 way blade (24-08), then tone (35th) or mini-toggles (24-08), then finally 3-way (35th) or tone (24-08).

custom_24_08_2018_straight_vertical.jpg

With the 509, the volume is in a similar place to the 24's (both) but the switch is further forward. The mini toggles too seem to be in a similar position if you look at the angle from the back corner of the bridge to them on both the 24-08 and Cu24-08 but the tone control is closer to the Volume and closer to the position of the 5-way on the Cu24. I know many don't really use the tone knob so having it further back, like on the cu24-08 may well be more out of the way.

509_2017_faded_whale_blue_vertical.jpg

All 3 of these guitars (35th, 24-08 & 509) essentially have the same controls. I know the 35th is the 'Paul's' layout and the 509 has a 5-way blade but if I had the choice of the 'best' positions for the controls based on these three layouts for the 35th Anniversary guitar, I would have preferred the 509 layout instead of the Paul's. Functionally, it would be the best layout for me and the 5-way (or 3-way in the 35th) is close to the naturally playing movement and angled so its quite easy to flick whilst strumming without breaking the natural strimming position arc. Obviously not everyone would agree and some may prefer having the 3-way switch at the back but if it uses a switch like this, I would prefer it to be at the top like the 594 - although that does mean more drilling/routing and an additional back plate, but that would be my preference for a switch.

In each of these models, they all have the same basic functionality - in that you have a Switch to change PU's with each HB PU having its own mini-toggle to split it and a Master Volume and Master Tone control. How it feels to operate these whilst playing, how it functions whilst playing will be very personal to the individual. If you have to keep looking to find the switch or keep accidentally hitting it because of its position, then it affects its functionality to do the job you wanted it to do. You can adjust to it of course but it can still affect your playing. If your are constantly flicking between PU's during a solo for example, having the switch behind the bridge may not be conducive to quick changes that a switch on the top horn or blade nearer to the area your hand is playing somewhere between the bridge and neck.

Maybe I am reading into Functionality too much because they all do have the same function but to me Functionality is also how well or how much easier it is to play. With a lot of PRS double humbucking guitars having independent splitting/tapping options and different layouts too, the main difference is how much easier it is to operate whilst playing the music you do. I much prefer mini toggles to push/pull pots (594) but if the 594 substituted push/pull for push/push, I think the 594 would be the easiest but as I said earlier, I started with Les Paul's so used to the 3-way on the top horn and prefer independent tone/volume controls too. I find it easier to just push a pot than flick a mini toggle for going from split to full humbicker - although slower to pull up to split so the optimum functionality for me would be the Les Paul style layout but with push/push tone pots - especially with more sweaty hands.

To reiterate, this is my opinion, my preference and I know that some may have very different opinions and preferences. You can't please everyone all the time. If I had to choose between the 24-08 and 35th Anniversary based purely on the layout of the controls, then I would have to pick the 24-08 because I do not like or find it as comfortable/easy to switch Pick-ups with the switch behind the bridge but that is my preference...

509 layout is my fave, but my 408 PS Experience 2012 has the Paul's layout. I thought I might not love it, but it doesn't break my stride at all.

509 layout rocks, though IMHO!

When do you all think the 2020 models will begin showing up at dealers for sale?

An S2 CU24 will in all likelihood be coming my way.
The core violin carve is beautiful indeed but that huge
bevel on the S2 is much more comfortable for me.
(So that will be PRS # 4 for this hardcore Gibson player...)

Yeah, the S2 body styles are super comfy. I think this 35th anniversary model is the push I needed to get back into 24 fret land.

I think I've decided to put down on a 35th anniv Cu24. Just a matter of deciding when to order it, and what color to get. I'm thinking artist package.

Have u seen the andertons video of the 2020 macarty? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can someone please back engineer the TCI circuit, and let us modders know what ohm pots etc to go for when upgrading S2swith usa pickups... :)

I have seen posts here referring to both the “macarty”, and the “mcarthy”, but have yet to see either model released. Anyone have an ETA? :D

Last edited:
Back