PRS New SE models: Swamp Ash Special, CE, and Quilted Maple CU24

shinksma

What? I get a title?
These are now officially announced on the PRS website - we've seen hints of them for a week or more. Other threads have mentioned the news.

Maybe this can be an amalgamated thread for discussions of all three.

85/15 S pickups in all of them?
That's their go-to pickup for the majority of the SE & S2 line, with 58/15LT (S) pickups in the SE & S2 McCartys & S2 Standards. (Generalization - I didn't trawl through the entire catalog to see pup assignments to models.)

Now that I've seen them on the site and watched the demo video I've decided that I MUST HAVE THE SAS!!!

That guitar really rings my bells... Any colour will do though I'd prefer the Vintage Sunburst or Iri Blue... Now the challenge will be to find one under 8 lbs with a grain I like...

Look nice. But why, oh why, is PRS so stuck now on the Wide-Thin neck profile on so many models - from SE to Core? It's really not a super-comfortable profile, and I'm guessing the typical PRS buyer is not buying shred machines from PRS. Probably a cost-cutting measure to not have to offer neck options on the same model, but, c'mon, read the room... ;-)

Look nice. But why, oh why, is PRS so stuck now on the Wide-Thin neck profile on so many models - from SE to Core? It's really not a super-comfortable profile, and I'm guessing the typical PRS buyer is not buying shred machines from PRS. Probably a cost-cutting measure to not have to offer neck options on the same model, but, c'mon, read the room... ;-)
The whole SE line is about cost cutting and getting a really nice guitar into the hands of student and intermediate players.

Least that's how I see SE's and I have eight of them.

SE's are great platforms for pickup and hardware upgrades tho.

Then they become pro guitars if you do it right.

I used to be a WT guy. In the beginning it was the profile I even preferred. I was coming from a big strat phase and it felt very similar to modern strats.

One of my hang ups looking into other profiles was the naming convention. I didn't find it real accurate and kinda confusing.WT is really not all that thin compared to shredders of my past, definitely not wizard. Just like the WF really isn't all that fat. With your point also harder to find other profiles, especially looking for a Cu24 (my first). Since, I understand the profiles more and prefer others, but not going to kick my WT guitars off the wall, even if I'd prefer they be another profile.

Around here we tend to favor other profiles, but on other sites not dedicated to PRS the WT gets some traction. But yes, I wish the SASSE wasn't WT, but I also wish it had a rosewood board to compliment my maple core with WF. Still think it's going to be a hit as is.. and I'm tempted.

The whole SE line is about cost cutting and getting a really nice guitar into the hands of student and intermediate players.

Least that's how I see SE's and I have eight of them.

SE's are great platforms for pickup and hardware upgrades tho.

Then they become pro guitars if you do it right.
Not so easy to mod a neck profile. ;)

I’m not just talking SE’s here. If I’m not mistaken, core Custom 24’s have only been available with WT neck for the past couple of years.

Not so easy to mod a neck profile. ;)

I’m not just talking SE’s here. If I’m not mistaken, core Custom 24’s have only been available with WT neck for the past couple of years.
It's a well made student guitar selling for 1/4 the price of a Core model.

You don't get custom neck sizes at that price point.

Or do you? Are any SE models available with different neck shapes as an option?

One of my hang ups looking into other profiles was the naming convention. I didn't find it real accurate and kinda confusing.WT is really not all that thin compared to shredders of my past, definitely not wizard. Just like the WF really isn't all that fat.
Indeed, they could have named the profiles "Wide & medium with hint of thin" and "Wide & medium with a hint of chunk". And the "Regular" could be "just slightly less wide and midway thickness". We're talking 1/32" at most with these differences.

It's a well made student guitar selling for 1/4 the price of a Core model.

You don't get custom neck sizes at that price point.

Or do you? Are any SE models available with different neck shapes as an option?
Yes, I've had several SE's over the years, and more of a "standard" neck profile was, well... standard. Not debating the value of an SE (they're anything but a student model!) Putting WT necks on so many models is something they started doing a few years ago.

Yes, I've had several SE's over the years, and more of a "standard" neck profile was, well... standard. Not debating the value of an SE (they're anything but a student model!) Putting WT necks on so many models is something they started doing a few years ago.
I think SE stands for Student Edition and that Santana with may have come up with the name.

Paul's pretty hard core about NOT continuing with products that don't sell, so WT necks must be what's selling.

PRS has been very vague and even maybe ret-conned the idea of SE = Student Edition (it had appeared in one or two very early ads, IIRC). They certainly do not acknowledge that term today.
I have more SE's than Core models, but with the exception of my two SE Silver Skys, I never thought of my own stock SE's as being professional guitars. Not right out of the box anyway.

A virtuoso like David Grisman or Bernie Marsden or John Mayer can make a stock SE sound pretty darned good tho!

My eight SE's (including my Silver Skys) have ALL had the pickups, tuners and bridge/tailpiece upgraded.

Now they sound like professional instruments.

As has been stated elsewhere...the little niceties that you get with any high end guitar vs a quality mid-level, are more for the player, than the audience.

As has been stated elsewhere...the little niceties that you get with any high end guitar vs a quality mid-level, are more for the player, than the audience.
The audience usually won't notice if you you've left your neck pickup on....lol...so where to draw the line? Best thing is the buy what you want to buy lol.

Back