NUGD: I’ve gone full clownburst

guitar_man_man_man

I used to consider myself more of a fan of more interesting, modern colorways on my PRSi, but the times they are a-changin’ I suppose. My workhorse recently has been a charcoal purple burst Custom 24 35th anniversary which I love, but I’ve been eyeing guitars with the same layout (35th or 24-08) that are a little more understated and might feel a bit more ‘vintage’ for that classic rock cover band I’ll be joining any day now.

In perusing the various places used guitars are often found, I stumbled upon a used dark cherry sunburst (often referred to as clownburst ‘round these parts) 35th anniversary for a good price that I thought I would gamble on. The posted pictures were truly awful, but it was listed as a 10-top, so how bad could it be? By googling the serial number I actually found the original posting where the pictures looked pretty good, but still possibly a guitar that only looks good in the right lighting. Turns out it’s actually a stunner. It joins my HB2 piezo as the second ‘clownburst’ guitar in my current arsenal.

The used listing pic:
OKnCTEM.jpeg

The guitar I received today:
cac3ijU.jpeg

5jaysvj.jpeg

The grain is very 3-dimensional and has a lot of movement based on the angle and lighting. The guitar itself seems virtually unplayed and sounds great (possibly even better than my current 35th?), but that might just be the honeymoon phase.

There is one other consideration though - it has a pattern regular neck, which I’ve never experienced before. Playing with it in the 20 or so minutes I had today it felt fine, if a little bit narrow, in comparison to the ol’ purple people-eater which has a pattern thin neck. Time will tell, but one or the other of my 35th anniversary 24s will go up on the ‘verb in the coming weeks depending on whether I can get along with the pattern regular. Feels irresponsible to hoard 2 of these beauties.

My other 35th just for comparison:
SV6VYoW.jpeg

And my other, now considerably less lonely, clownburst HB2 piezo:
QBqolCF.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to consider myself more of a fan of more interesting, modern colorways on my PRSi, but the times they are a-changin’ I suppose. My workhorse recently has been a charcoal purple burst Custom 24 35th anniversary which I love, but I’ve been eyeing guitars with the same layout (35th or 24-08) that are a little more understated and might feel a bit more ‘vintage’ for that classic rock cover band I’ll be joining any day now.

In perusing the various places used guitars are often found, I stumbled upon a used dark cherry sunburst (often referred to as clownburst ‘round these parts) 35th anniversary for a good price that I thought I would gamble on. The posted pictures were truly awful, but it was listed as a 10-top, so how bad could it be? By googling the serial number I actually found the original posting where the pictures looked pretty good, but still possibly a guitar that only looks good in the right lighting. Turns out it’s actually a stunner. It joins my HB2 piezo as the second ‘clownburst’ guitar in my current arsenal.

The used listing pic:
OKnCTEM.jpeg

cac3ijU.jpeg

5jaysvj.jpeg

The grain is very 3-dimensional and has a lot of movement based on the angle and lighting. The guitar itself seems virtually unplayed and sounds great (possibly even better than my current 35th?), but that might just be the honeymoon phase.

There is one other consideration though - it has a pattern regular neck, which I’ve never experienced before. Playing with it in the 20 or so minutes I had today it felt fine, if a little bit narrow, in comparison to the ol’ purple people-eater which has a pattern thin neck. Time will tell, but one or the other of my 35th anniversary 24s will go up on the ‘verb in the coming weeks depending on whether I can get along with the pattern regular. Feels irresponsible to hoard 2 of these beauties.

SV6VYoW.jpeg

QBqolCF.jpeg
Very nice.
Say what you will about that finish. I know from decades of experience, it looks great on stage.

Congrats on the new guitar. I personally do not consider the PRS Dark Cherry Sunburst finish to be a clown burst. My CU22 is the DCS finish. The clown burst moniker really comes from the older Gibson finishes. Those were not great. PRS used to have a regular cherry burst that IMHO was also not great. The dark version fixed all of the issues I ever had with the old finish.

I unknowingly gravitated to cherry burst guitars years ago. One day I realized how many of them I had from various manufacturers. I still have a few but the DCS from PRS is by far the best looking. I am a little surprised that I only own one PRS in DCS. It is one of my favorite finishes of theirs. I have a couple of PRS that I would change the color to that if I could.

Just clowning around are ya'? Nice collection! I know some people don't like the clown burst thing, but I got no probs with it and those are both good examples IMO!! Congrats!!!
That’s killer!
That's sweet!
Fantastic! Congrats on a killer axe!
Looks good to me! Congrats!!
Nothing clowny about that new one, it’s hot.
Thanks all! I'm definitely enjoying the look so far.

Very nice.
Say what you will about that finish. I know from decades of experience, it looks great on stage.
That's what I'm banking on! I also feel less worried about scrapes and dings on a more traditionally colored/finished guitar for whatever reason, not sure why that is. Something about a more vintage finish looking even better with some light playwear.

Congrats on the new guitar. I personally do not consider the PRS Dark Cherry Sunburst finish to be a clown burst. My CU22 is the DCS finish. The clown burst moniker really comes from the older Gibson finishes. Those were not great. PRS used to have a regular cherry burst that IMHO was also not great. The dark version fixed all of the issues I ever had with the old finish.
I always thought clownburst applied more to specific, poorly-done examples rather than all cherry bursts. Ones where there's no real transition, just a band of solid red then just yellow-y body. Regardless, yours looks great - congratulations!
That's my take on it as well.
Yep, totally agree on all points here - toning down the real bright/true yellows and reds and blending them a bit more really seals the deal.

I unknowingly gravitated to cherry burst guitars years ago. One day I realized how many of them I had from various manufacturers. I still have a few but the DCS from PRS is by far the best looking. I am a little surprised that I only own one PRS in DCS. It is one of my favorite finishes of theirs. I have a couple of PRS that I would change the color to that if I could.
It's weird, I definitely never thought I'd be into it with my first two PRS being royal blue and charcoal purpleburst, but here we are!

This is my Avatar photo, DGT, Cherry Burst, I don't consider it a Clown-Burst but it's a real nice top with a lot of mineral streaks in the Michigan Rock Maple top. A great playing guitar.
I think a lot of it can come down to how it's photographed. Having a real nice cut of maple never hurts either to liven the top up a bit!

Wow, that Grey Black Purple burst is sexy.
It really is a looker and plays great, it has just felt more like a studio/museum piece to me rather than a gigging guitar recently for whatever reason.

Cherry sunburst is a classic and awesome finish, though it came under internet scorn and seems in style to bash it. Couldn’t care less, it’s beautiful. And it looks like most here love it too!
Yeah, I think since it’s a classic finish it’s been copied and probably done poorly on a lot of cheaper guitars over the years, hence the bad rap. Have to agree with most on this thread though that PRS does it right!

The used listing pic:
OKnCTEM.jpeg

cac3ijU.jpeg

5jaysvj.jpeg

SV6VYoW.jpeg

QBqolCF.jpeg
Gorgeous guitars.

Personally, I love a nice burst. And those are nice bursts.

Back