NGD - 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 24

MarcWink

Well, she's here and she's been jail broke after the three hours inside my house per the warning label on the box. Here she is!!! Sadly, pics don't do justice to the top. It's was shipped tuned down a half step (probably to reduce the risk of breaking the neck during shipping), and after fine tuning it to Eb standard and plugging in, I can say that the 10th Anniversary S2 Custom REALLY closes the gap between the S2 and the Core. It sounds DANGEROUSLY good!

Untitled by Marc Wienkowitz, on Flickr

Untitled by Marc Wienkowitz, on Flickr

I think I may add the John Mann brass block and saddles. I'm certain that after that, it's going to be dead nuts even with my Core Custom 24 35th Anniversary.

That guitar layout is by far the best PRS has to offer...just a simple volume/tone...whammy and the owl club and the "original" shape. What's not to like? I'm new to PRS, but got a love bite, hard in the neck, for my SE 24 Standard..the baby brother to this.

In all honesty...and I've of course have been frantically scouring the internet for this guitar...but I like the maple neck and the binding on my SE...and I'm happy about everything actually. I'd just drool on myself if I had this guitar. Congrats... great catch.. It's a keeper.

Love your dog too. (and my wife always tells me to vacuum my studio chair, since I do the vacuuming in our house...and I won't mention anything....because the dog makes everything a winner in my book, with this thread).

That guitar layout is by far the best PRS has to offer...just a simple volume/tone...whammy and the owl club and the "original" shape. What's not to like? I'm new to PRS, but got a love bite, hard in the neck, for my SE 24 Standard..the baby brother to this.

In all honesty...and I've of course have been frantically scouring the internet for this guitar...but I like the maple neck and the binding on my SE...and I'm happy about everything actually. I'd just drool on myself if I had this guitar. Congrats... great catch.. It's a keeper.

Love your dog too. (and my wife always tells me to vacuum my studio chair, since I do the vacuuming in our house...and I won't mention anything....because the dog makes everything a winner in my book, with this thread).
Thanks! This was definitely one of those, "I've had a couple glasses of scotch, I'm going to scroll through Reverb and browse PRS's...what's the worst that can happen?" purchases. Having it in my music room now, I have zero buyer's remorse unless you count "why didn't I get one of these sooner?"

As for the dog hair, I am a weirdo that vacuums the chair in the music room. Daily. I just didn't do it today...I was too distracted. :D

I have that exact guitar...and I love it. And it looks nothing like the photos...it's impossible to photo for some reason. The top is more greenish, which doesn't show up, then the blue surrounds and lightly covers it. (It kind of does look like a lake with blue green water under blue water). And then the edges, back and headstock are actually purple.

Still trying to rein in the bridge humbucker, and add brightness to the split coils, but overall very rich tones.

The 10th Anniversary S2's REALLY close the gap between S2 and Core. They're amazing guitars, especially at the price point.
How does it differ from the Core in playability? I've been curious about that, since they're using the same pickups.

How does it differ from the Core in playability? I've been curious about that, since they're using the same pickups.

Playability wise, there is zero discernable difference. Aside from being able to touch the S2 and my Core and knowing the difference in feel between the Pattern Regular neck and the Pattern Thin neck and my core being the 24-08 control layout, I would NEVER be able to tell with all other things being equal (same strings and tuning, etc.).

I would NEVER be able to tell with all other things being equal (same strings and tuning, etc.).
There's the difference in top carves that would factor in a blind feel test, but arguments could be made both ways for that one. I personally love both carves.

Playability wise, there is zero discernable difference. Aside from being able to touch the S2 and my Core and knowing the difference in feel between the Pattern Regular neck and the Pattern Thin neck and my core being the 24-08 control layout, I would NEVER be able to tell with all other things being equal (same strings and tuning, etc.).
That's great to know. Thanks. So glad I got that model. On a separate topic, do you miss the 24-08 layout? The five way blade misses out on the single neck or single bridge options. There is a mod I learned about to be able to get this (essentially adding a push pull to have the five way entirely single), but not sure how necessary that is.

She’s a beauty! My local shop recently received a few of those and they look fantastic, I’m going to give one a whirl just for grins..

Charles

That's great to know. Thanks. So glad I got that model. On a separate topic, do you miss the 24-08 layout? The five way blade misses out on the single neck or single bridge options. There is a mod I learned about to be able to get this (essentially adding a push pull to have the five way entirely single), but not sure how necessary that is.
I still have my 35th Anniversary 24-08 Core and won't be letting it go anytime soon, but I will say, I do like the control layout of the regular Custom 24 that the S2 has a little better because it's easier for me to flip from bridge to neck pickup on the fly.

Back