DIY 'PRS' Kits... have you built one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I totally agree with a 'real' copy.

However a double cut guitar with generic 3x3 headstock is about as illegal as the SC594 we all love. I think. But it all depends on the frame/context here wheter it is in 'bad taste' or not.
The PRS Singlecut shape has already been judicially determined not to violate Gibson trademarks. So the 594 doesn't step on anyone's toes. No one would confuse something with its headstock shape, the PRS logo, etc., as a Les Paul.

However, there are PRS copies that could be confused with the real thing by the average person (one of the tests is whether the goods could create 'confusion in the marketplace'). We've seen these kinds of fakes posted on this forum.

It's easy to get a federal court seizure order against sellers and importers of goods that violate trademarks contemporaneous with the filing of a complaint in federal court. I speak from experience; in the days of my youthful past I litigated such cases.

I fully support any and all excuses to buy more guitars (*checks tracking on incoming package*) so if this is all an exercise in GAS justification, well, Happy Shopping!!! But let me ask this, sincerely and not trying to be an @$$…what are you trying to protect the guitar you love from?? Play it out! That’s what they’re made for! If it is a one of a kind, made for Carlos Santana from the last tree standing in the Mexican village he was born in and a nut carved from the femur of a wooly mammoth- and given to you because Carlos felt it was too precious to play…lock that thing in a jewel box if you want (although I’d still play it).

As the luthier who built my custom bass said (and believed so strongly he named the company after it): “It’s Just A F****ng (bass) Guitar” :D

IMG-0535.png

I fully support any and all excuses to buy more guitars (*checks tracking on incoming package*) so if this is all an exercise in GAS justification, well, Happy Shopping!!! But let me ask this, sincerely and not trying to be an @$$…what are you trying to protect the guitar you love from?? Play it out! That’s what they’re made for! If it is a one of a kind, made for Carlos Santana from the last tree standing in the Mexican village he was born in and a nut carved from the femur of a wooly mammoth- and given to you because Carlos felt it was too precious to play…lock that thing in a jewel box if you want (although I’d still play it).

As the luthier who built my custom bass said (and believed so strongly he named the company after it): “It’s Just A F****ng (bass) Guitar” :D

IMG-0535.png
That's a great name - and story!!

The PRS Singlecut shape has already been judicially determined not to violate Gibson trademarks. So the 594 doesn't step on anyone's toes. No one would confuse something with its headstock shape, the PRS logo, etc., as a Les Paul.

However, there are PRS copies that could be confused with the real thing by the average person (one of the tests is whether the goods could create 'confusion in the marketplace'). We've seen these kinds of fakes posted on this forum.

It's easy to get a federal court seizure order against sellers and importers of goods that violate trademarks contemporaneous with the filing of a complaint in federal court. I speak from experience; in the days of my youthful past I litigated such cases
If it comes to 1 to "1" copies, of course you are right. I was rederring to a more generic DC with 3x3 headstock. And those kits usually suck, but are fun to tinker with.

OK, fair enough. What then do you do for those gigs/jams that you don't want to bring your $2k+ PRS to ?
I did have an SG that I used for that purpose though unfortunately I sold it. And now regret
having to bring a guitar that I've so far kept pristine since I bought back in '93.

And no, I'm not expecting PRS quality from spare parts... just something I won't mind getting banged around.

Just gig your PRS. I gig my PS gutiars.....HECK.... i just bought a new VH4 and played my CS Gibson LP at the beach this weekend! Also that's my ENGL powerball over there in the corner and my EB MM Stingray 5 BFR. I have my 82 Ibanez destroyer and a run of the mill Gibson LP out there too. I let my buddies use them so we could sound good. I told them to leave thier squires and oranges at home. (Not in pic is my CU24 gold top that was used for a few songs as well)

Everything is already back to brand new looking and cleaned up. It was SOOO amazing to jam that VH4 out there this weekend! Don't cheat yourself....Gig that awesome PRS you love!

You know it's in the bible....."Do not be afraid, Play your best gear, and may nickleback be with you!"

C6SWDQw.jpg

Last edited:
I remember I did build one about 20 years ago. I didn't know much about PRS and I only picked that kit 'cos I liked the styling of the body (go fig).

I got it together, finished it with some wipe on polyurethane, and it was terrible. I learned a lot and had fun, but this was never going to be a good playable guitar.

A year later I tuned it to open E, waited for a set break during a party, took it to the fire, plugged it in a little amp, did a 5 minute slide thing, nodded to my friend who then put a chair in the fire and while the guitar sustained and feed back (it did THAT well) I set it on the chair and we watched and listened to it burn.

That's about as playable as a PRS kit can get!

You can buy beautiful SE Singlecuts used for under $500. Replace the lousy pickups for another $150 - 200 and you'll have an absolutely professional sounding, great playing ax.

The one on the left had Duncan Antiquitys at the time of the photo. The Soapbar on the right has BKP Nantucket P90's.

Soundwise, they're on a par with most $2000 guitars..

I'm a guitar tech so naturally I gave these guitars as perfect a set-up as I could.

That's a must. But it was well worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I was also considering an SE. But I thought the kit would be more fun, color choices and such.

That said, I need to clear something up. I was not aware that these kits were illegal or in violation of trademarks. They are sold openly on the market, even Amazon carries a full compliment. If they are in fact illegal in any way why have they not been shut down ? I always had thought they were designed with enough variance and or payed for the ability to use a similar design. However if they are in fact illegal I would then not condone or support such practices.

Some asked why I don't just take out the '93 CE. Actually I do, however that depends on the gig. It's just a very rare occasion. I see my PRS as a work of art and prefer to not to expose it to certain situations.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I was also considering an SE. But I thought the kit would be more fun, color choices and such.

That said, I need to clear something up. I was not aware that these kits were illegal or in violation of trademarks. They are sold openly on the market, even Amazon carries a full compliment. If they are in fact illegal in any way why have they not been shut down ? I always had thought they were designed with enough variance and or payed for the ability to use a similar design. However if they are in fact illegal I would then not condone or support such practices.

Some asked why I don't just take out the '93 CE. Actually I do, however that depends on the gig. It's just a very rare occasion. I see my PRS as a work of art and prefer to not to expose it to certain situations.
Amazon doesn't vet the products for trademark compliance. Selling openly on the market has nothing to do with whether a trademark is violated, since police authorities don't get involved unless there's a court seizure order following filing suit, and that is the province of the US Marshal.

It's a matter for private litigation.

The trademark owner must file civil suits to enforce its trademarks.

A good example is Lorillard, the tobacco company, who have legal teams that go around the country 24/7 to chase down counterfeit cigarettes, (counterfeit cigarettes are a very large scam), and the shady stores that buy and sell them wind up paying quite a lot - the minimum statutory penalty under federal law was $25,000 at the time I was still doing that kind of work.

I don't know if anyone has tried to make a claim against Amazon for selling counterfeit goods, or how that would work out. I've been out of the game for a very long time, but I believe that the trademark laws haven't materially changed.

Chasing down counterfeits is literally a full-time job, and it's expensive. Unfortunately, it's a game of whack-a-mole - get one, another pops up!

As I understand it, a vendor of counterfeit products can put their goods on Amazon, and ship from outside the US. It they're in China, for example, our trademarks will never be enforced. We'll continue to see these goods on the market.

Anyway, I figure I should play my own role in honoring a trademark, and that means I don't buy the counterfeit goods.

I can understand why you don't want to expose your high end PRS' to damage. Weird things happen to gear at gigs. Since all I want to play is my nice gear, I took it out for gigs. I figured if I had it, I would treat myself, and if something got damaged, well, it could be fixed. And I'm very picky about how it stays in mint condition, so was super-careful. I was lucky, only one guitar was ever dinged, and I had a great luthier fix it.

But I don't criticize folks who want to protect their best stuff.

Last edited:
I find this thread to be a good example of why this is such a good forum.

The OP is looking for a guitar to gig with because he is uncomfortable taking his "good guitar"
out and subjecting it to any of the all-too-common gig related mishaps that may happen out there.

There are people in here from both sides of the fence, those with serious collections of extremely
valuable instruments that live in glass cases and are works of art, and those like me who have no
qualms about taking a 1 of 100 or even a 1 off ridiculously beautiful guitar and playing 3 sets of
classic rock in a biker bar with it. There are also many of us somewhere in between these 2 views.

The nice thing is that while many different opinions have been stated, there has not been even a hint of
"Talking down" or "What's wrong with you" talk in the thread. In other forums which I will not name,
the OP would have been mercilessly attacked by "those who know better" but here I see nothing
derogatory and not even a hint of snobbery anywhere in this thread.

This forum gets a gold star in my book.
I like it here.

IIn other forums which I will not name,
the OP would have been mercilessly attacked by "those who know better" but here I see nothing
derogatory and not even a hint of snobbery

I know better, and just assume that everyone else KNOWS that I know better...so no reason to bring it up and rub it in people's faces.

;):p

Thank you for that information Laszlo, I was unaware of this and wrongly assumed that since they were sold openly on the market they were legal. I'm glad I posted here first before going forward and purchasing as I do not condone such practices. Given that, I will look around for a used SE.

Very disappointing about Amazon. I thought they did vet the products they sold to one extent or another. I know with the KODI situation here in the states the Feds will shut you down in a second if you're caught illegally streaming movies or music, yet they can openly sell illegal equipment. Makes no sense.

Amazon doesn't vet the products for trademark compliance. Selling openly on the market has nothing to do with whether a trademark is violated, since police authorities don't get involved unless there's a court seizure order following filing suit, and that is the province of the US Marshal.

It's a matter for private litigation.

The trademark owner must file civil suits to enforce its trademarks.

A good example is Lorillard, the tobacco company, who have legal teams that go around the country 24/7 to chase down counterfeit cigarettes, (counterfeit cigarettes are a very large scam), and the shady stores that buy and sell them wind up paying quite a lot - the minimum statutory penalty under federal law was $25,000 at the time I was still doing that kind of work.

I don't know if anyone has tried to make a claim against Amazon for selling counterfeit goods, or how that would work out. I've been out of the game for a very long time, but I believe that the trademark laws haven't materially changed.

Chasing down counterfeits is literally a full-time job, and it's expensive. Unfortunately, it's a game of whack-a-mole - get one, another pops up!

As I understand it, a vendor of counterfeit products can put their goods on Amazon, and ship from outside the US. It they're in China, for example, our trademarks will never be enforced. We'll continue to see these goods on the market.

Anyway, I figure I should play my own role in honoring a trademark, and that means I don't buy the counterfeit goods.

I can understand why you don't want to expose your high end PRS' to damage. Weird things happen to gear at gigs. Since all I want to play is my nice gear, I took it out for gigs. I figured if I had it, I would treat myself, and if something got damaged, well, it could be fixed. And I'm very picky about how it stays in mint condition, so was super-careful. I was lucky, only one guitar was ever dinged, and I had a great luthier fix it.

But I don't criticize folks who want to protect their best stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back