Building your own pedals?

JasonE

I have wanted to build my own pedal for many years. I know enough about circuits to be dangerous. I have looked at many of the build your own kits over the years but have never found one that I thought would be a useful pedal for me after I built it. I finally found one! I bought a kit to build my own KOT clone. I ordered it and it showed up last week while I was out of town. I decided to upgrade some of my tools before starting this build. Those will show up this week. I am stoked and really looking forward to this build.

I already have two more builds that I am considering after I do this one. I am also looking at PCBs of other OD pedals and my try to order everything separately and build one that way. I also started looking at breadboards to be able to build the circuits and make changes to them before building it into something more permanent. I found a forum that looks to be really good that a couple of very big manufacturers participate in to get help on circuits and troubleshooting.

I am also now interested in finding broken pedals to see if I can fix them. If anyone has some they want to get rid of, hit me up.

Anyone else here build your own pedals?

Does anyone know of a good breadboard kit that comes with a good number of wires and components? I have found a few but would like to get some recommendations if anyone has one.

I got really into it for a while a couple years ago. I have 14 that I built successfully, with a couple of duds I still need to troubleshoot. I have also been sitting on a few that I started and haven't finished. I keep meaning to get back to it, but haven't found the inspiration.

Breadboarding is also something I'd like to play with. All mine have been pre-made PCBs, some with complete kits and others I've sourced parts.

I like to cram things into small enclosures, so customizing the layout is part of the fun.

The Cranky Speaker is a clone of the Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker and is my favorite for a lead boost. The Ringer is a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer clone in pedal form and is my favorite octave-up effect. These are small, very simple circuits, so I put them into tall A enclosures with both jacks on the same side for sticking these at the top of my pedal board.

A4csGU4h.jpg

I also love pedals with top jacks, so I built a few in the 1590b enclosure. My fave so far is this tweaked version of a Fulltone OCD with a built-in buffer.

vQnIjrKl.jpg

0sVg1ucl.jpg

ZANPh3bl.jpg

I was into if for a few years. Used to spend more time at BYOC forum and TGP pedal section than anyplace else. I was building and modding small tube amps at the same time. While fun, I eventually decided I was spending more time reading, researching, sourcing and building than I was playing guitar, so I put it on the back burner.

I've built a few: EA Trem, Phase Shifter and a 3-4 drive pedals. I always used PC boards and kits. A friend of mine did a bunch on vero boards and every one of them worked well, but was noisy. I'd stick with a tried and true, pre-made PCB once you get what you like on the breadboard.

I was into if for a few years. Used to spend more time at BYOC forum and TGP pedal section than anyplace else. I was building and modding small tube amps at the same time. While fun, I eventually decided I was spending more time reading, researching, sourcing and building than I was playing guitar, so I put it on the back burner.

I hear that. It takes time and planning for sure. I was researching, pricing, and buying parts in batches from different places so I could build several pedals at a time. That's the only way to keep from spending a fortune. Then I got back into cycling, so now all my spare nerd time is devoted to bike stuff. :rolleyes:

If you are starting, I would recommend Aion Electronic kits. I have known Kevin, the owner, for quite a few years, he is a good guy (I know it's important to you ;) ), and the documentation with the kits is best in the biz. Easy to follow, nice and clear. Impressive collection too.

Aion is great! I've done five of his projects (one I messed up and need to troubleshoot one of these days). I agree on the documentation, and the Mouser parts spreadsheets are invaluable. I used his format to create an inventory of my components and I use it for planning non-Aion projects, too.

If you are starting, I would recommend Aion Electronic kits. I have known Kevin, the owner, for quite a few years, he is a good guy (I know it's important to you ;) ), and the documentation with the kits is best in the biz. Easy to follow, nice and clear. Impressive collection too.

That is actually where I bought the kit I have from. I can say that the parts are quality and the instructions are very well done. Now we will see if I can put it all together and make it all work. I probably won't get to it until this weekend some time. I am planning on taking it as it goes. If I get frustrated with anything I will put it down and come back later. I am really looking forward to putting it together. I have two other kits of theirs that I am interested in if this one goes well.

That is actually where I bought the kit I have from. I can say that the parts are quality and the instructions are very well done. Now we will see if I can put it all together and make it all work. I probably won't get to it until this weekend some time. I am planning on taking it as it goes. If I get frustrated with anything I will put it down and come back later. I am really looking forward to putting it together. I have two other kits of theirs that I am interested in if this one goes well.
You won't have any issues. Take your time, though, keep the tip of your soldering iron cleaned every time, and you will be fine. It's a lot of fun, and it's a bit addictive. Kevin does the 20% deals often, so make sure to add your name to his mailing list

My hat is off to anyone who has the patience to build a piece of electronic gear from a circuit board, an enclosure, and parts.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I built a Dynaco FM Tuner kit. The instructions were quite clear, and it worked first time I turned it on. I had it for many years, and my brother uses it to this day in his artist's studio.

That was the first and last electronics kit I'll ever build from a bag o' parts. I'm pretty sure I ran out of curse words while building it.

I built a little Moog synthesizer from a kit a couple of years ago, but it only involved screwing a few things together, and took ten minutes. I can live with that kind of kit! ;)

My hat is off to anyone who has the patience to build a piece of electronic gear from a circuit board, an enclosure, and parts.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I built a Dynaco FM Tuner kit. The instructions were quite clear, and it worked first time I turned it on. I had it for many years, and my brother uses it to this day in his artist's studio.

That was the first and last electronics kit I'll ever build from a bag o' parts. I'm pretty sure I ran out of curse words while building it.

I built a little Moog synthesizer from a kit a couple of years ago, but it only involved screwing a few things together, and took ten minutes. I can live with that kind of kit! ;)
I did two kits from Aion in an hour, no joke. I have a decent assembly station, though, but even without it, it's a couple of hours' job at most. Give it a shot; tell Kevin I sent you :)

I built a few pedals :) funny it was 10 years ago
I think I have the first design drawing someplace if I can find it , I would be happy to pass it along for someone to try their hand.
Don't go to the website !!!!! I haven't owned it for years !!!

I built a few pedals :) funny it was 10 years ago
I think I have the first design drawing someplace if I can find it , I would be happy to pass it along for someone to try their hand.
Let me get a few builds under my belt and I may be willing to give it a try.

You want to know something really ironic? I own that Tele that Chris is playing. I bought it off of him a little over 11 years ago. I remember this video. I watched it when he put it out. The pedals sound good.

Last edited:
I build more pedals than I know what to do with! I primarily build from scratch on vero/strip board, but if I do buy ready-to-build PCBs, it’s always from PedalPCB - their PCB layouts are second to none, and their forum is full of really knowledgeable folks who will walk you through troubleshooting any issues. Aion also has great boards.

Some of my builds…

wszFwav.jpg

vJJi4wS.jpg

lql8Vde.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

If you’re interested in modding pedals, find Brian Wampler’s book on modding (it’s floating around the web.)

I build more pedals than I know what to do with! I primarily build from scratch on vero/strip board, but if I do buy ready-to-build PCBs, it’s always from PedalPCB - their PCB layouts are second to none, and their forum is full of really knowledgeable folks who will walk you through troubleshooting any issues. Aion also has great boards.

Some of my builds…

wszFwav.jpg

vJJi4wS.jpg

lql8Vde.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

If you’re interested in modding pedals, find Brian Wampler’s book on modding (it’s floating around the web.)
Some really good looking stuff in there. I have no idea where this journey will take me but I do know it is going to be fun.

I've built a couple thousand pedals now. I used to use PedalPCB exclusively. Best boards out there IMO. Now I have my own boards and my own pedal line. Love building them!!

cKed3DO.jpg

pbhFmvy.jpg

iaXuzd0.jpg

B7YG9Ka.jpg

7tT4qHv.jpg

cJKxkbZ.jpg

dItbi7Y.jpg

S09n5um.jpg

in6KSoK.jpg

M9OyaHq.jpg

xgTDU9j.jpg

bBFxaz5.jpg

2HynCuf.jpg

UuF1tQg.jpg

Lzshizg.jpg
Wow! Some very cool stuff in there. Love the ones built for specific artists. I would love it if I could turn this into a side hustle. I am pretty far away from that at this point.

I discovered that I have a coworker that is into building electronics. We are also both ham radio guys. He doesn't really know anything about guitar pedals but he has some equipment that I don't have and offered to help me with any troubleshooting I may have to do. He has had some of his on PCBs made and knows that process well. That is where I want to explore if I can breadboard something that I like. I know the market is really tough but it would be cool if I can come up with something to build and sell.

I love how you put the LEDs around the footswitch. That is really cool and I have not seen that on any other pedal.

Some of my builds…

wszFwav.jpg

vJJi4wS.jpg

lql8Vde.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

Damn, how have I not heard of PedalPCB before? New rabbit hole opened...

Back