Building your own pedals?

I build more pedals than I know what to do with! I primarily build from scratch on vero/strip board, but if I do buy ready-to-build PCBs, it’s always from PedalPCB - their PCB layouts are second to none, and their forum is full of really knowledgeable folks who will walk you through troubleshooting any issues. Aion also has great boards.

Some of my builds…

wszFwav.jpg

vJJi4wS.jpg

lql8Vde.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

If you’re interested in modding pedals, find Brian Wampler’s book on modding (it’s floating around the web.)
How cool is that array o' pedals?!!!

Thanks. You have no idea what a rabbit hole you just decided to step into! :eek:

This is a fantastic place for pedal-building resources: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/p/forum.html?m=0 (click on the "The Library" link)
I have some idea. I have seen this hole calling my name for a long time. This is a hobby that really fits my personality. I am a tinkerer. That is what got me into mixing and what made me get good at it pretty fast. I do my homework and then play with things to understand how they work. I have trained quite a few people on how to mix and in that process I have found that it is something that many just don't understand and it is hard for them to pick it up. I see this as no different than how I handled that. I have an overall understanding of many of the components. I just need to go deeper into circuit design to understand how all of the parts interact.

Thanks for the link!

Building pedals gave me a hobby that could be applied to music. Now build them for friends and that turned into repairing some of their older mainstream pedals.

Its a great hobby. I've done mostly BYOC, 3pdt (funny cat) and Musikmeisse in Germany. Recently Landtone Klon clones from Amazon have been fun. The most fun part is always getting them with blank cases for my own designs, and throwing in an extra switch for additional function.

I may have to get back on this horse!!!

I build more pedals than I know what to do with! I primarily build from scratch on vero/strip board, but if I do buy ready-to-build PCBs, it’s always from PedalPCB - their PCB layouts are second to none, and their forum is full of really knowledgeable folks who will walk you through troubleshooting any issues. Aion also has great boards.

Some of my builds…

wszFwav.jpg

vJJi4wS.jpg

lql8Vde.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

If you’re interested in modding pedals, find Brian Wampler’s book on modding (it’s floating around the web.)

I've built a couple thousand pedals now. I used to use PedalPCB exclusively. Best boards out there IMO. Now I have my own boards and my own pedal line. Love building them!!

cKed3DO.jpg

pbhFmvy.jpg

iaXuzd0.jpg

B7YG9Ka.jpg

7tT4qHv.jpg

cJKxkbZ.jpg

dItbi7Y.jpg

S09n5um.jpg

in6KSoK.jpg

M9OyaHq.jpg

xgTDU9j.jpg

bBFxaz5.jpg

2HynCuf.jpg

UuF1tQg.jpg

Lzshizg.jpg

I did some browsing on PedalPCB after seeing both of your posts. I have a few more boards on the way now. I will hold on to those until I get this kit done and am ready for the next build. I bought boards for pedals I have wanted to try out but have not had the chance to try them so they will be new to me and something I have an interest in.

The rest of the tools I ordered this week will be here today so I will probably assemble the kit I have this weekend. I bought a new soldering station and this thing is so far ahead of the one I had. It heats up really fast and recovers super fast. I bought the Hakko FX-888D iron.

I built the kit on Saturday. I took my time and made sure all of my solder joints looked as professional as possible. I tried to keep it as pretty as possible and I am proud of the job I did. The pedal worked perfectly the first time. I really enjoyed putting this together. On top of that, the pedal sounds great. I love the options they built into this one. I can change the options that you could order in the KOT with dip switches. I still have not landed on where I am going to leave them set.

The only thing that I don't like so much is how the LEDs turned out. I followed the directions and I don't like how high they set in the bezels. I am going to unsolder them and lower them into the bezel more. It is an easy thing to change.

The kit that I built is from Aion and is named THESEUS and is a KOT clone. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to try building their own pedal. This one is about in the middle of their difficulty level. You are building two OD circuits on one board. These kits are built really well.

My next builds are going to be much tougher. I bought PCBs and will be sourcing all of the parts on my own. I have ordered the bulk of the parts from Mouser. I had to get some parts from Tayda and Digikey. I am still looking for a good source for the pots. I need them in several values. If anyone has a good place to buy them from I need about 10 pots in various values.

I've gotten pots from a few different places, usually bundled with other parts. I'm sure I've gone through Small Bear, Tayda, and Guitar Pedal Parts at various times. The annoying thing is it seems one place tends to have all except for one that you need. ;)

Since I buy parts to cover multiple projects, I shop and compare and make orders at more than one place to get the best overall price, so I may get a couple pots from here and a couple from there.

I've gotten pots from a few different places, usually bundled with other parts. I'm sure I've gone through Small Bear, Tayda, and Guitar Pedal Parts at various times. The annoying thing is it seems one place tends to have all except for one that you need. ;)

Since I buy parts to cover multiple projects, I shop and compare and make orders at more than one place to get the best overall price, so I may get a couple pots from here and a couple from there.
I had to buy from three places to get the stuff I have on order so far, Tayda, Mouser and Digikey. I still haven't found the pots in one place.

I was wondering if Small Bear was still in business. I saw someone post that they are now Synth and I noticed that a lot of the parts on their site are out of stock. It looks like they do have some of the pots I need.

I like the look of the Klon type pedal. If I were not planning on building one myself, I may have bit on that one. I love the Klondike mashup name and graphic.
I ordered one last Tuesday. It was here on Saturday. Build to order, with my name etched on the back in manner I wasn't expecting. I need to drop some pics here. Matt did a great job!

Small Bear had all of the pots I was looking for. I ordered them today.

Back