DIY 'PRS' Kits... have you built one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProgRocker

I'm thinking of picking up a DIY PRS style kit. I've seen a few of them on UTube, and they look and sound descent. Of course I'll probably sub out the hardware and pups. I'd like to use this instead of always taking out my '93 CE, which I'm very protective of ! Has anyone ever put one of these together ?
Was it worth it ? What stain would work best ? And what company did you go with ?

One thing though I never liked is the placement of the toggle switch. What is the point of placing it so far back ?
Will I be able to place it forward under the bridge pickup, as I'm not sure if the toggle will fit in the pots position. And vis versa.

Definitely like the Amber color on this Paul's SE.

1549296931-51852200.jpg

Once upon a time I built a Stratocaster style guitar where I sourced each part from a different supplier. Each supplier sold very high quality replacement parts and I wound up with a very nice instrument. However, I would equate all DIY kits that have "everything you need" as garbage and I would not recommend them.

No experience with those, however I read a guy who wants to dip his toe in the guitarbuilding water and as an enthousiast I applaude that. However, dont expect too much, certainly not a PRS (SE) level guitar and you'll have a lot of fun.

I know I did, however I built them from scratch ;-)

OK, fair enough. What then do you do for those gigs/jams that you don't want to bring your $2k+ PRS to ?
I did have an SG that I used for that purpose though unfortunately I sold it. And now regret
having to bring a guitar that I've so far kept pristine since I bought back in '93.

And no, I'm not expecting PRS quality from spare parts... just something I won't mind getting banged around.

However, dont expect too much, certainly not a PRS (SE) level guitar and you'll have a lot of fun.

No, not at all. You can't build a Lambo from parts you find in a junkyard. Just something that plays decently.
That and something I won't have to worry about.

Well, I totally agree with a 'real' copy.

However a double cut guitar with generic 3x3 headstock is about as illegal as the SC594 we all love. I think. But it all depends on the frame/context here wheter it is in 'bad taste' or not.

To me the obvious answer is buy an SE if you don't want to take your CE. Far leap from your CE to a trash kit. If I was going to attempt a partscaster for hobby fun I'd check out Warmoth. But really if you want a reliable backup for gigging, get a SE or just use the CE. Guitars are meant to be used.

Last edited:
OK, fair enough. What then do you do for those gigs/jams that you don't want to bring your $2k+ PRS to ?
I did have an SG that I used for that purpose though unfortunately I sold it. And now regret
having to bring a guitar that I've so far kept pristine since I bought back in '93.

And no, I'm not expecting PRS quality from spare parts... just something I won't mind getting banged around.
I'd buy a well used ce that already has the battle scars before I'd pi$$ with the kit you're contemplating.

Just my 200,000 cents worth.

I’m with the others. Buy a nice-ish used SE or S2. Change pickups if you must. You’ll have fine guitar at a reasonable price. Especially the SE - you’ll probably spend less on the SE than on a kit.

I'll pile onto what others have said, this is the perfect scenario for an SE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back