Difference in output & tone between the HFS bridge , \m/ & Tremonti bridge pickups?

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I need a hotter bridge pickup …. Hotter than my 59/09 or DGT and preferably with more mids , but not quite as hot as my Dragon 1 …..Don’t want tons of high end. More mids and tight bass…….:) I’m not a metal player and always use standard tuning. Bluesrock…..with higher output than 57/08’s, 59/09’s 245’s..ect
HFS? Tremonti? … or the \m/ ?….just the bridge pickups…..comparisons would be ideal for those of you that have 2 or 3 of these models…
any help, as always, is appreciated. You folks have never steered me wrong

Last edited:
I had and HFS in my CE 24 and was not a fan of it. It has lots of fans though. It did have a nice mid hump. Have the Dragon II’s in my just acquired CE-22 and prefer those over the HFS. Not quite as much mid hump as the HFS, but more then a typical PAF. But the verdict is still out on them for me so there’s that.

I put a set of \m/ pickups in an AP Santana (maple neck and ebony board). That guitar smoked! They're definitely NOT a one trick pony. Very articulate, and they clean up really nicely when rolling the volume off. They can definitely cover that hard blues rock territory. Shawn (former PRS employee) always said that he thought they got the name wrong. Thought the name pigeonholed them into a specific category.

Here's a couple of videos. The first is a nice comparison of 57/08 - 59/09 - \m/ by Phillip McKnight. The 2nd is just the \m/ done by a forum member.

Like Sam, I wasn't a huge fan of the HFS in my CU24, but that was primarily because that guitar didn't give me the PRS sound I was expecting - or didn't fully give me those sounds. I've since put a set of T & B reissues in there, and it sounds like the old PRS sound I wanted. I've since picked up an 87 CU24, so the table is set to go back to the VB/HFS thing someday.

I do have both the Tremonti and \m/ installed in guitars now. The Tremonti sounds great to my ears - definitely high output, and it bites, but it's been a bit of a challenge to balance it w/the neck pickup in my Tremonti. It's possible something is wrong w/the neck pickup, but I've never played another Tremonti to compare. This shouldn't be taken as disappointment or dissatisfaction w/the Tremonti at all, but it's not something I usually look to play clean. It's very good when I have, but it's not top of my mind for that stuff.

The \m/, however - wow. This just might be my favorite pickup. I put my trust in Shawn and maybe one or two other forum members when I built my PS - the \m/ was my choice all along, even though I'd never played one myself. As bodia said, this is definitely not a one-trick pony - it covers a lot of ground, especially if you're willing to play with the volume and tone knobs. I can't think of anything I would be reluctant to use it on. It's never harsh, and it cleans up beautifully.

Like Sam, I wasn't a huge fan of the HFS in my CU24, but that was primarily because that guitar didn't give me the PRS sound I was expecting - or didn't fully give me those sounds. I've since put a set of T & B reissues in there, and it sounds like the old PRS sound I wanted. I've since picked up an 87 CU24, so the table is set to go back to the VB/HFS thing someday.

I do have both the Tremonti and \m/ installed in guitars now. The Tremonti sounds great to my ears - definitely high output, and it bites, but it's been a bit of a challenge to balance it w/the neck pickup in my Tremonti. It's possible something is wrong w/the neck pickup, but I've never played another Tremonti to compare. This shouldn't be taken as disappointment or dissatisfaction w/the Tremonti at all, but it's not something I usually look to play clean. It's very good when I have, but it's not top of my mind for that stuff.

The \m/, however - wow. This just might be my favorite pickup. I put my trust in Shawn and maybe one or two other forum members when I built my PS - the \m/ was my choice all along, even though I'd never played one myself. As bodia said, this is definitely not a one-trick pony - it covers a lot of ground, especially if you're willing to play with the volume and tone knobs. I can't think of anything I would be reluctant to use it on. It's never harsh, and it cleans up beautifully.
So @alantig …Quick question for you… Is the \m/ bridge pickup got warmer highs (or less high end) than the Tremonti bridge? I do use my volume and tone controls all the time with treble bleed circuits..

Last edited:
You just described the \m/ pickup: tight bass and quick attack, broad and powerful mids that cut through and present highs that are not shrill. They are hot pickups (similar in juice to a Duncan Custom or so), but they are really versatile and do clean up well. I have had a set in a Mira, my Holcomb and currently in a CE 24 and they were awesome in all cases. Compared to the Tremonti and HFS, I found the \m/'s to be more balanced overall: the Tremonti I find has a bigger low end and top end sizzle, while the HFS has really aggressive upper mids.

So @alantig …Quick question for you… Is the \m/ bridge pickup got warmer highs (or less high end) than the Tremonti bridge? I do use my volume and tone controls all the time with treble bleed circuits..
Yes, the \m/ is your pickup IMO. I’ve had/have all of the pickups listed and agree with pretty much everything said so far.

You just described the \m/ pickup: tight bass and quick attack, broad and powerful mids that cut through and present highs that are not shrill. They are hot pickups (similar in juice to a Duncan Custom or so), but they are really versatile and do clean up well. I have had a set in a Mira, my Holcomb and currently in a CE 24 and they were awesome in all cases. Compared to the Tremonti and HFS, I found the \m/'s to be more balanced overall: the Tremonti I find has a bigger low end and top end sizzle, while the HFS has really aggressive upper mids.
Thank you.. @VHTStark …and @vchizzle and everyone that posted their experience …that information is really helpful…and you all saved me a lot of $$ and time buying pickups that I’d be unhappy with….…. The \m/ sounds like the perfect pickup for me… balanced is what I need. Not a huge bass and not shrill on the high end…..Shawn was right. They should of named it something different….like the Ultimate Dragon:p. Or 21/22

A couple people have already chimed in, but I'll make a point of comparing these two this weekend. Something I should have done at some point anyway.

They seem to have stopped etching the \m/ on them, am I correct? I always thought that was a nice touch.

I have various guitars with the tremonti, \m/ and dragon 1, never played an HFS. The tremonti and dragon 1 are pretty similar tone wise and the \m/ has a little more honk going on when played on a clean channel. Maybe that’s just exactly the mids you’re looking for. Add some gain and it’s hard to tell em apart.

I have a set of \m/ Pups in a Custom 24 'Floyd' and can only agree with what others have said here. I'm not really a fan of 'Hot' Pick-ups but these surprised me with how versatile, articulate and not harsh/shrill so suit me and the guitar really well.

I've never had a Tremonti to compare but I'm sure they are great Pups too as the guitar is very popular...

Pick ups are always going to be a preference thing - I doubt we hear everything identically anyway and have different preferences too. You can't go 'wrong' with either but the only way you'll know which 'you' really prefer is to try them both and compare/contrast. One may suit you and the guitar you put it in better than the other but only you'll know...

But both are great pickups and I do agree that the \m/ name doesn't do these justice so either decide which you want to commit to or get both to put your mind at ease because ultimately only you can decide if one is better than another for what it is exactly you want and hear...

Enjoy the Rabbit Hole... LOL

Last edited:
I have a set of \m/ Pups in a Custom 24 'Floyd' and can only agree with what others have said here. I'm not really a fan of 'Hot' Pick-ups but these surprised me with how versatile, articulate and not harsh/shrill so suit me and the guitar really well.

I've never had a Tremonti to compare but I'm sure they are great Pups too as the guitar is very popular...

Pick ups are always going to be a preference thing - I doubt we hear everything identically anyway and have different preferences too. You can't go 'wrong' with either but the only way you'll know which 'you' really prefer is to try them both and compare/contrast. One may suit you and the guitar you put it in better than the other but only you'll know...

But both are great pickups and I do agree that the \m/ doesn't do these justice so either decide which you want to commit to or get both to put your mind at ease because ultimately only you can decide if one is better than another for what it is exactly you want and hear...

Enjoy the Rabbit Hole... LOL
Thanks @Mozzi …. :p:eek:

Hi all, I'm new to the PRS world, just picked up an SE C24 last summer and love it - the feel, sound, weight, balance, look, plus the versatility are amazing.

My question is around pIck-up upgrades: It comes with the 85/15S pick-ups and I'm trying to find deeper, richer tone - kind of the Gibson Derek Trucks sound (which I know is a wormhole).

I see a lot of good pick-up feedback in this thread and my sense is many of the upgrade options such as the 57/08 or 09 are better if you are looking for more attack / metal output. For a more blues / gibson style, would you recommend upgrading to the \m/? Or another pick-up brand?

And, for a layman is the expense noticeably different? My guitar set-up guy says it probably is not $400-500's worth noticeable and if you are really chasing tone, test drive a Gibson but I like to play a range of styles that are more strat-based too which the PRS is great for.

Any advice much appreciated!

The HFS I had in a Standard 24 from 2005 was possibly the worst pickup I’ve ever played. Shrill, piercing, compressed. Not nice. The import HFS that came with an old SE Cu22 I still own sounds great on the other hand.
I also have a set of \m/‘s, they sound really nice. Very smooth. No prominent mid bump. Maybe a bit too polite for some.

the 57/08 or 09 are better if you are looking for more attack / metal output.
For the 5708 and 5909 think hotter PAF. They are similar and pair well. The easiest way to describe the 5909 is more.

The 5708 set is fantastic! So, is the 5909. Perfect marriage is a 5708 in the neck and 5909 in the bridge. Any one of those combos are a win.

Hi all, I'm new to the PRS world, just picked up an SE C24 last summer and love it - the feel, sound, weight, balance, look, plus the versatility are amazing.

My question is around pIck-up upgrades: It comes with the 85/15S pick-ups and I'm trying to find deeper, richer tone - kind of the Gibson Derek Trucks sound (which I know is a wormhole).

I see a lot of good pick-up feedback in this thread and my sense is many of the upgrade options such as the 57/08 or 09 are better if you are looking for more attack / metal output. For a more blues / gibson style, would you recommend upgrading to the \m/? Or another pick-up brand?

And, for a layman is the expense noticeably different? My guitar set-up guy says it probably is not $400-500's worth noticeable and if you are really chasing tone, test drive a Gibson but I like to play a range of styles that are more strat-based too which the PRS is great for.

Any advice much appreciated!
Pick-ups are subjective and what 'sound' you are looking for is as much about the pedals/amps and/or mics recording (if not mixing and tweaking) to get to 'sound' you associate.

Some will push an amp harder and/or be 'balanced' differently across the range but you'll never get some 'Gibson' like tones regardless on a C24 because its not got the same design. The 'extra' 2 frets you get, push the neck pick up closer effectively to the 'bridge' and bridge pick-up giving it a different tone to a 22 as its under a different part of the string length.

You may find you'll be going down that rabbit hole - which is fine by the way, but For the price of a set of Pick-ups or two trying to find something to do what a SE DGT or 594 for example would do for relatively low cost for a complete instrument and still not be happy after switching pups? I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade your pups but what they'll sound like in your guitar through your rig into your ears is 'unique' to you and only you can decide which is the 'best' option to suit your preference, budget etc.

You may find an SE McCarty or DGT for example is 'better' for the more 'Gibson' sound but love your C24 for what it does. Maybe upgrade or tweak your amp, maybe a pedal or two would help - point is - it maybe not the Pick-ups but the design of the guitar or something else in the chain...

Back