Bridge Pickup Suggestions

MWebster

Hello all. So my newer Paul's guitar SE in faded blue has suffered a mortal wound and the bridge pickup died. Nothing really happened it just stopped producing volume. It might not be a bad opportunity to just put something else in there as opposed to doing a warranty claim because the rest of the guitar is really really good.

I found the bridge kind of thin and pokey sounding anyway. On a side note, these new TCI "s" pickups sound lower output compared to the original iteration that came out in 2018 ish.

If anyone has any suggestions for a nice bridge humbucker that has body, smoother highs yet good attack and y'know nice powerfully defined lows.. let me know? I was thinking the \M/ bridge
or a Suhr pickup... 59/09.. No brand off limits though.

Thank you for your insights.

The Seymour Duncan "Duncan Custom" is good & powerful, meaty lows, and rock-n-roll powerful but not too powerful. It's a really cool, versatile bridge pickup if you typically want overdrive out of the bridge position, but it can do cleans too though. On the plus side, too--standard ol' Seymour Duncan pickups are not quite as expensive as a lot of the competition.

The Seymour Duncan "Duncan Custom" is good & powerful, meaty lows, and rock-n-roll powerful but not too powerful. It's a really cool, versatile bridge pickup if you typically want overdrive out of the bridge position, but it can do cleans too though. On the plus side, too--standard ol' Seymour Duncan pickups are not quite as expensive as a lot of the competition.
Is that the SH-5? I've heard good things and that description is essentially what I'm after. Any experience with the alnico 2 version?

Is that the SH-5? I've heard good things and that description is essentially what I'm after. Any experience with the alnico 2 version?
No. I liked the regular ceramic magnet version but not enough to use it again.

It's a rock pickup. That's how i see it. Not a jazz or blues or warm pickup

Yes, the Duncan Custom is the SH-5. I do not have any experience with the A2 version, but I did switch the ceramic SH-5 out for the A5 version (the SH-14 Custom 5) because my neck pickup in that guitar is also an A5 "59 Model" SH-1. But I'll tell you what... think I kinda liked the SH-5 a little better and I'll probably be putting it back in there.

The A2 version (the SH-11 Custom Custom) could be cool, but for some reason I think I'd only do that if the neck pickup were also A2 (like a Pearly Gates or an Alnico II Pro). Can't explain why, necessarily.. but that's just me.

5909 is a pretty safe bet if you're doing stuff mid to heavy overdrive.

If you're doing detuned stuff, D tuning or lower then M pickup is a better choice

"IF" you just want to replace it. Can't go wrong with PRS pickups. However a set of Suhr Thornbuckers are pretty good too.

All that said, might have just been a solder joint that came loose. However I've experienced dead pickups twice, once in a epi and once in a Gibby. Both were GC purchases. So I do believe it can happen however it's rare.

Yes, the Duncan Custom is the SH-5. I do not have any experience with the A2 version, but I did switch the ceramic SH-5 out for the A5 version (the SH-14 Custom 5) because my neck pickup in that guitar is also an A5 "59 Model" SH-1. But I'll tell you what... think I kinda liked the SH-5 a little better and I'll probably be putting it back in there.

The A2 version (the SH-11 Custom Custom) could be cool, but for some reason I think I'd only do that if the neck pickup were also A2 (like a Pearly Gates or an Alnico II Pro). Can't explain why, necessarily.. but that's just me.
This guitar is a little on the bright side funnily enough. You think the Duncan custom would still be a good choice if the guitar is a bit brighter? That's the only reason I was thinking of the A2 version.

These sentiments are true. It's probably something minor. But maybe it's a sign to move on to new sonic lands... In that pickup position anyway..

These sentiments are true. It's probably something minor. But maybe it's a sign to move on to new sonic lands... In that pickup position anyway..
I've got no dog in this fight, but if you have a bad/faulty connection, it's possible that's all you've heard out of the pickup. Take a soldering iron and reflow the connections. If that's your problem, it could be an easy fix. You can always swap it.

Yep. The Duncan Custom (ceramic magnet), Custom Custom (A2 magnet), and Custom 5 (A5 magnet) are all the exact same pickup with different magnets.

Each sounds very different from the others.

For me, the A5 Custom 5 is too bright and sharp.

The A2 Custom Custom used to be thought of as getting an EVH sort of sound. It's a nice warm pickup but not bright enough for me.

The Ceramic Duncan Custom is one I used in a Strat for about three months. It's very good but lacks the organic quality of an alnico pickup and eventually i got tired of the sound.

I would look at a Marshallhead bridge pickup. I prefer the Alnico 2 version but Wolfe likes the grainier, brighter, sharper Alnico 5 version.

If you're into magnet swapping, the Duncan JB from the custom shop uses a ROUGHCAST A5 magnet not polished. Gives the JB a smoother, rounder, warmer sound that I like. You can get that magnet from AddictionFX on eBay. Love the RCA5 version but the stock version is like an icepick in the ear for me.

Or a PRS 57/08 bridge pickup if you like a pickup with a cover. It's Alnico 2 and I don't think there's a better pickup for 50's paf tone...which is my favorite humbucker tone. Think Allman Brothers...

Last edited:
Back