What is your favorite bridge and neck pickup combo and why?

I wish covered 59/09 were available. I just put an Onemac Windery covered, potted Custom 59 set in a Knaggs and they are some of the very best pickups I’ve ever heard.

They pop up here and there but not very often. I was lucky enough to find one and now it’s in my HB Spruce.

Depends on the guitar.

In a Gibson SG:
Neck Position - DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell.
Bridge position - Original DiMarzio PAF from the late 70's.

In an ES 335/345/355:
2 Gibson Classic 57's.

In my PRS guitars:
Whatever pickups they came out of the factory with.
PRS seems to have gotten it right.
I would agree that the pickups pretty well matched in all of PRS guitars I have owned. The Swamp Ash Special pickups are very nice, and the original McCarty pickups are very nice as well. I actually like the 58/15S pickups a lot in my new McCarty 594 SE as well. But my favorites right now are the Burstbuckers in my Epiphone 59 reissue Les Paul.

-My 2001 Singlecut has a set of Greenville "Suspicion" pickups in them. That set has A4 mags in them, and the pickups are wound hotter than the stock #7's that were in the Singlecut.

- My 2018 Black Gold Burst CU24 has the stock set of 85/15 TCI's in them.

- My 2022 Charcoal Burst CU24 currently has a set of \m/'s installed. More than likely, I will be removing the \m/'s and installing a set of 59/09's I have. When I originally installed the \m/'s I wired the bridge pickup incorrectly, and the bridge pickup sounded great. Because of the incorrect wiring, I wasn't getting the proper sound from position 2. After a few trial and errors, I was able to get everything wired correctly. Now the bridge pickup has was more output than the neck pickup to the point it's frustrating.

Back