What is your favorite bridge and neck pickup combo and why?

Interesting that PRS specifies "alnico 2" in the 57/08 and 59/09 sets, but says only "alnico" for the 58/15 set.

I wonder if the 58/15 is alnico 4 like the Dragon I neck pickup?

I’d bet it’s 2, that’s their jam.

If you want a modern Dragon set, the 85/15 neck with uncovered \m/ treble is a modern day D1 setup. It’s really great.

So all of the PAF style PRS pickups use alnico 2?

The 57/08, 58/15 and 59/09 are all alnico 2 pickups?

I believe the DGT uses alnico 2 as well.
Yes all those are A2. I believe the DGT is A2 as well, but not 100%, as in confirmed by PRS. The rest are confirmed by PRS as A2.

I am wondering about the starlas. Lower output pickups (low dc rating) somethimes use strong magnets to compensate. Lambertones uses alinco 8 in the Cremas I believe. Couldnit be thst PRS did the same thing in the Starlas? They are not necessary really low output, but seem to be in the 6k reaistance? That is not really a strong wind.

I am wondering about the starlas. Lower output pickups (low dc rating) somethimes use strong magnets to compensate. Lambertones uses alinco 8 in the Cremas I believe. Couldnit be thst PRS did the same thing in the Starlas? They are not necessary really low output, but seem to be in the 6k reaistance? That is not really a strong wind.
Alnico 8 is wildly aggressive. I put an A8 magnet in an HFS once and dear lord it was super aggressive.

I’d bet Starlas are A2 or A4. Whatever they use it’s magical.

Alnico 8 is wildly aggressive. I put an A8 magnet in an HFS once and dear lord it was super aggressive.

I’d bet Starlas are A2 or A4. Whatever they use it’s magical.
I have a JB in a CE22 and it was bit trebly with the stock polished A5 magnet.

I wanted to hear an A8 in it, so I put it in, and and took it out again almost right away.

For me, it was just gave the JB an unpleasant tone. Guess I'm not an alnico 8 kinds guy.

I removed it and put ROUGHCAST A5 in that JB pickup hoping to sweeten the sizzly high end and it worked!

That JB sounds really good now, especially with the guitar tone control turned about 1/2 way down.

Last edited:
I wish PRS sold DGT sets. I'd throw the neck in my Les Paul.

ReWind makes a JPP set. The bridge is everything you could ask for on a hot PAF style bridge pickup.

I get gorgeous tone with the Paul's 408 set in one of my guitars, but for my usual jam, I'm also really happy with the set of specially wound (I'm told) 57/08s that came in the McSC. For my kind of traditional sound, it's the perfect balance of vintage and 'just enough heat'.

Also, the 85/15 bridge pickup in a CU24 is a great match. I think the 59/09 would be, too.

I haven’t answered, because it wouldn’t help anybody, but....
prototype collection pickups in Viola.

They sound great in all selection options. What I most appreciate is that the volume level is consistent across all switching. Most guitars, I have to nudge the volume a bit to rebalance after switching.
Prototype of what?

Prototype of the collection pickups used in the Collection series of guitars.
They are in the guitar that was the prototype for the violin guitar.
Ah, thanks. I did not get that. I don't really have those guitars on my radar :)

I talked magnets but I'm in the camp of 5708 neck and 5909 bridge as my favorite PRS combo. I've really been digging on the 5815LT in the neck instead of 5708 too.

408 set :) - More Power in the bridge than a Pauls Narrow in the bridge.

513 - Single coil neck , Fat Humbucker Bridge - Full but not muffled bridge and sweet warm Bridge pickup

Mira and or McCarty set - Well balanced the Mira set is a bit hotter and brighter sound great in thicker guitars the McCartys like DGTs are a bit darker sound great in my CU22

My newest 57/08 Neck - 59/09 Bridge just a really pleasant tone Fat sounding neck , Brighter punchy bridge fun to play leads on the Neck , Rhythm on the Bridge :)

Back