What is your favorite bridge and neck pickup combo and why?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I'm big fan of the Dragon I set in my '95 CE22 and '95 CU22.

I like the familiar tone of an 8K PAF style humbucker set better than one that has an underwound neck pickup. That neck pickup sound reminds me of what I grew up with in the 60's playing 50's and 60's Gibsons.

But the problem is that the neck humbucker often overpowered the bridge humbucker in those guitars.

The Dragon I bridge pickup is much hotter than vintage so it doesn't get overpowered by a 8K neck pickup.

The Dragon I is smoother and has less honk and sizzle than the Duncan JB that came in the other '00 CE22 I play.

Last edited:
For PRS pickups, I haven't tried the newest pickups. I like the 57/08 neck and bridge in some guitars.

I've mentioned this in other threads but try the JB in the neck with a Dragon I. I thought that combo sounded amazing in my old CE-22 and the volumes balanced great.

For PRS pickups, I haven't tried the newest pickups. I like the 57/08 neck and bridge in some guitars.

I've mentioned this in other threads but try the JB in the neck with a Dragon I. I thought that combo sounded amazing in my old CE-22 and the volumes balanced great.
When I bought my '00 CE22guitar it already had the JB in the bridge and a Duncan Custom in the neck. That's another hot humbucker. But it sounded good!

But I'm after a vintage PAF tone from the neck pickup. The neck pickup in the Dragon set is sort of PAF like. I like it.

Depends on the guitar.

In a Gibson SG:
Neck Position - DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell.
Bridge position - Original DiMarzio PAF from the late 70's.

In an ES 335/345/355:
2 Gibson Classic 57's.

In my PRS guitars:
Whatever pickups they came out of the factory with.
PRS seems to have gotten it right.

Depends on the guitar.

In my PRS guitars:
Whatever pickups they came out of the factory with.
PRS seems to have gotten it right.
I'd agree with that. All of my CU22 and CE22 guitars have the original pickups except for one. And that one had Duncan pickups put in before I bought it.

I have changed the pickups in all of my SE's though.

Last edited:
Right now I'm really liking my '07 SC 250. It has the stock uncovered "250" pickups, and the neck and bridge are quite different from each other. I believe I read somewhere that the bridge is akin to an uncovered Tremonti, and I'm not sure what the neck is but it's definitely very different from the bridge. They each just sound really, really good both clean and with drive.

Digging Tremonti in the bridge and \M/ in the neck on my S2. Next choice is a Montys Bill Steer for bridge and Tonerider classic Alnico 4. Tuned to C# so clears any muddiness up.

Regardless of instrument , it is always neck and middle if it's a 3 PU, or neck and bridge with the bridge rolled off a bit of it's a 2 PU .

With the single vol/ tone models I'll usually split the bridge . I wish they all had DGT controls with mini toggles for tap..

The 58/15LT /Narrowfield is great with the maple neck semi Special , and the splitting the bridge on the HB II . With the Walnut ltd 57/08's same .

I use a blend pot on my non PRS triple pickup guitars , with a 5 way switch it gives enormous tone options .

Last edited:
Dragon 1’s
57/08 neck 59/09 bridge
Starlas
85/15 neck uncovered \m/ bridge

The 57/08 set and 59/09 set are both PAF type sets with alnico 2 magnets. I think I would like them. They seem to be wound on the stronger side of vintage.

I use alnico 2 Duncan Antiquitys for that sound and have them in a special sounding and playing SE Singlecut.

They sound deep and solid in that guitar, but sound thinner and lack a little bass in a guitar like a CE22 with a PRS vibrato.

Last edited:
Dragon 1's for me!
:)
I'd like to see PRS bring them back as two sets. One set of Dragon I's with both pickups magnetically in phase and wired for a 3 way switch.

And one original Dragon 1's with the magnet reversed in one pickup so it works properly with the rotary switch and cancels hum like the originals.

I find the rotary switch to be a PITA to use, but I love the extra sounds it gives. Especially the #3 middle humbucker setting.

But also the #2 setting between the middle and neck pickup: one slug coil from each pickup in parallel like two pickups combined on a Strat.

Doesn't matter that it's not exact. It still sounds good!

Last edited:
Interesting that PRS specifies "alnico 2" in the 57/08 and 59/09 sets, but says only "alnico" for the 58/15 set.

I wonder if the 58/15 is alnico 4 like the Dragon I neck pickup?

Back