CE 24 bridge pickup

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
Does anyone else find the uncovered 85/15 pickup in the bridge to be a bit too shrill and ice-picky? I like everything else about my recently acquired CE 24, but the bridge pup is not working for me.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
58/15’s? I thought the CE24’s are built with 85/15’s? Not the same as your HB. I have 2021 CE 24 with uncovered 85/15’s and yes they can be ‘bright’, especially the bridge. I’m assuming you’ve dialed back the tone a bit?? Also have a HBII and the 2 guitars couldn‘t be more different. Love them both.

If it's the 85/15 pickup we are discussing, then no, I find it a perfect rock pickup. Solid and quick enough to manage heavy styles, yet not overpowered to sound out of place with classic rock and blues. I think the bridge 85/15 is the nearest to the perfect pickup I ever had.

...personally

58/15’s? I thought the CE24’s are built with 85/15’s? Not the same as your HB. I have 2021 CE 24 with uncovered 85/15’s and yes they can be ‘bright’, especially the bridge. I’m assuming you’ve dialed back the tone a bit?? Also have a HBII and the 2 guitars couldn‘t be more different. Love them both.
You're right. I wasn't paying enough attention there. I'll fix in the post.

If it's the 85/15 pickup we are discussing, then no, I find it a perfect rock pickup. Solid and quick enough to manage heavy styles, yet not overpowered to sound out of place with classic rock and blues. I think the bridge 85/15 is the nearest to the perfect pickup I ever had.

...personally
Agree, I love the CE 24 sound and I play mostly on the bridge. Hard to know how to respond to Anachronism when you can’t hear his particular PUP. It could be sharper than it should. Can certainly understand though if someone is expecting the 58/15 tone. Per PRS naming convention, 85 is the genre tone that the PUP is designed for (1985), and 15 is the year introduced (2015). Likewise the 58/15, et al.

Agree, I love the CE 24 sound and I play mostly on the bridge. Hard to know how to respond to Anachronism when you can’t hear his particular PUP. It could be sharper than it should. Can certainly understand though if someone is expecting the 58/15 tone. Per PRS naming convention, 85 is the genre tone that the PUP is designed for (1985), and 15 is the year introduced (2015). Likewise the 58/15, et al.
I doubt it's a pickup problem, I suspect it's just different tastes and amp settings. And while it's a bit embarrassing to have mixed up the 58/15 and 85/15, it explains why the CE isn't doing what I want.

Yeah, I see 85/15 as a perfect medium between modern and vintage. I often play clean on the bridge pickup, and I love the tonality. I changed the pickups shortly after I bought my Custom to a set of BKP. Mainly because I was not too fond of the neck pickup, but I lost everything I liked about the bridge, and I couldn't put the original pickups back fast enough.

I will say what I always too; play with the pickup heights, and you will be amazed how much character that will change

85/15 is modern output. Not vintage paf like 57/08, 59/09, or 58/15. It has much more versatility for modern/gain output. Call me crazy, but I found the \m/ a more versatile bridge. I thought it cleaned up so well and handled gain like a champ.

85/15 is modern output. Not vintage paf like 57/08, 59/09, or 58/15. It has much more versatility for modern/gain output. Call me crazy, but I found the \m/ a more versatile bridge. I thought it cleaned up so well and handled gain like a champ.
Exactly re output. My description is “spanky”. The CE is a great guitar and excellent value. The low mass locking tuners are fine, love the pattern thin neck - but that’s me - am ok with minimal carving on the top vs. a custom, but can’t see why PRS went with a molded bridge. Of all places to shave a few $$.. I put a Mann Made solid brass (milled) bridge in and am delighted. It’s the only mod it needs.

I came to my 85/15 loaded CE24 from many years playing almost exclusively EMGs (active and passive ones) and Dimarzios. At first I found the sound, if anything, to be missing some of the bite or snarl I was used to: shrill was not an issue.
With time and a little bit of EQ tuning / PU height adjusting I have come love that sound, that I would define as very warm and articulated.

Back