DGT neck vs Pattern Regular

P90s

First of all, I apologize for starting a thread that isn't about the Silver Sky or the 594. :) Can anyone tell me whether the string spacing is closer on the DGT than the string spacing on the Pattern Regular? Google searches brought me to posts with lots of theories, but no definitive answers and it isn't covered on the PRS website. If you wanted the tightest string spacing on a PRS neck, is that the DGT?

After playing my DGT and Vela back to back I'd say the strings feel maybe a hair more narrow on the DGT. I also do believe that the DGT has the closest string spacing that PRS offers.

After playing my DGT and Vela back to back I'd say the strings feel maybe a hair more narrow on the DGT. I also do believe that the DGT has the closest string spacing that PRS offers.

Thank you! Really appreciate your checking this out for me.

If there’s a difference, it’s minute. After laying hands on both my Vela and DGT, I couldn’t feel a difference and if there’s a visual difference, it’s most likely an optical illusion. My two fav neck carves, period.

almost no difference! but you can slightly feel it if you are sloppy fretting open E minor and open D chord, the DGT requires slightly more accuracy.
but you have to be really sloppy before you start touching open strings. I really noticed it and really disliked my musicman Axis guitar's 41.2 mm nut width was unplayable for me. string spacing way to close, sold it within 6 months. my 1st learning curve about narrow neck's.

I have some engineering data, I have a PRS 594 and a DGT 10gauge strings
I have measured them with my calipers
DGT nut width 42.1 mm (42.2 prs spec) slightly narrow.
594 nut width 43.4mm (43.0 prs spec) fatty nut slightly bigger than specification.
DGT outside low E - outside high E 36.22 mm
594 outside low E - outside high E 36.75 mm
I also measured outside of G to B see photos 7.55mm vss 7.61 mm (half of a E string wider)

so the spacing is slightly smaller on the DGT only near the nut, but almost not measurable. I find them extremely similar to play but if I am sloppy, my finger can touch the open G when I'm strumming in E minor more easily on the DGT. by the 3rd fret everything feels equal on both guitars.
I believe you can also see it does look like the string spacing is very similar cut into the nut. the extra space shows up on the edge of the fretboard the E strings are closer to the edge of the fret board on the DGT by maybe 0.5 mm. the 594 has a little extra real estate on the fret ends. you can do more vibrato with the E strings.

DGT with a black nut
s0xd5gA.jpg

594 with a white nut
6uM7zVL.jpg

I guess it depends on what you want, if you want really thin string spacing telecaster and music man 41mm nuts
if you want a guitar that you can play get any PRS.

information allows you to make choices for your playing style
cheers

almost no difference! but you can slightly feel it if you are sloppy fretting open E minor and open D chord, the DGT requires slightly more accuracy.
but you have to be really sloppy before you start touching open strings. I really noticed it and really disliked my musicman Axis guitar's 41.2 mm nut width was unplayable for me. string spacing way to close, sold it within 6 months. my 1st learning curve about narrow neck's.

I have some engineering data, I have a PRS 594 and a DGT 10gauge strings
I have measured them with my calipers
DGT nut width 42.1 mm (42.2 prs spec) slightly narrow.
594 nut width 43.4mm (43.0 prs spec) fatty nut slightly bigger than specification.
DGT outside low E - outside high E 36.22 mm
594 outside low E - outside high E 36.75 mm
I also measured outside of G to B see photos 7.55mm vss 7.61 mm (half of a E string wider)

so the spacing is slightly smaller on the DGT only near the nut, but almost not measurable. I find them extremely similar to play but if I am sloppy, my finger can touch the open G when I'm strumming in E minor more easily on the DGT. by the 3rd fret everything feels equal on both guitars.
I believe you can also see it does look like the string spacing is very similar cut into the nut. the extra space shows up on the edge of the fretboard the E strings are closer to the edge of the fret board on the DGT by maybe 0.5 mm. the 594 has a little extra real estate on the fret ends. you can do more vibrato with the E strings.

DGT with a black nut
s0xd5gA.jpg

594 with a white nut
6uM7zVL.jpg

I guess it depends on what you want, if you want really thin string spacing telecaster and music man 41mm nuts
if you want a guitar that you can play get any PRS.

information allows you to make choices for your playing style
cheers
Incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time!

Thank you, very helpful.
We talk a lot about neck sizes but not enough of string spacing.
I was searching for the string spacing measure of a Wide Fat (or Pattern) neck shape.
Someone has one to measure?
Thanks.

Wide Fat / Pattern neck and Wide Thin / Pattern Thin is 1/32" wider than the Pattern Regular / Standard and DGT neck

I was talking about string spacing.
How much it's wider than the regular/dgt string spacing (IF it's wider) and if it's something that you feel in your hands comparing the two neck profiles.

Be careful if you bring this up when DGh is in the room...:rolleyes:

I know it's weirdly minute but I can play a DGT all day but not so with the regular carves. Very weird

New PRS S2 w/Pattern Regular neck user here. I've been doing some serious PRS neck research since I got this fine guitar and am plotting my next guitar purchase. I think I've "lucked out" with starting with the Pattern Regular as I've taken to it quite easily. Yesterday I was able to demo a 594 and custom 24 core guitars (new) as well as a 14' 408. So, I'm now somewhat familiar with the Pattern Wide, Pattern Vintage and (I'm pretty sure) Pattern neck feels. The measurements given above on the DGT seem to match up very closely with my Pattern Vintage. I'm assuming it's a deeper neck profile so will feel slightly chunkier than the PR neck but not dramatically different. Can someone tell me the thickness of the DGT or their own personal experience between the 2 neck profiles? For comparison I own a 59' R9 that has a crazy big neck, bigger than the pattern vintage, so I think I'd be fine with a slightly deeper neck of a DGT.

Love the profile on the R9s, too, so I might share your taste. IMO, the DGT has the best neck anywhere. It’s slightly chunkier than the pattern regular, which I have on my RL Vela. While the Vela’s neck may be the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played, the rolled edges of the DGT and it’s huge frets sets it apart. The 11s that come stock on it don’t feel like 11s, as a result. If you like the pattern regular, you’ll really like the DGT.

This is interesting. I have a DGT and I need a fatter neck - more like a Fender Deep U or a Gibson '59 reissue.

The *numbers* say that a pattern is thicker than a DGT as below - but are you all saying that actually no, they're very similar?

Screenshot-2023-07-03-at-16-56-48.png

This is interesting. I have a DGT and I need a fatter neck - more like a Fender Deep U or a Gibson '59 reissue.

The *numbers* say that a pattern is thicker than a DGT as below - but are you all saying that actually no, they're very similar?

Screenshot-2023-07-03-at-16-56-48.png

do not confuse "pattern" for "pattern regular".

do not confuse "pattern" for "pattern regular".
OK, thank you for the advice.

The numbers above are from the PRS website. I'm going to go along to the dealer later this week and hope that the 'pattern' neck on a new PRS Special will be bigger than the DGT.

Does anyone know ahead of time whether the tale of the numbers above for a 2022 'Pattern' neck feels chunkier than a DGT?

Last edited:
OK, thank you for the advice.

The number above are from the PRS website. I'm going to go along to the dealer later this week and hope that the 'pattern' neck on a new PRS Special will be bigger than the DGT.

Does anyone know ahead of time whether the tale of the numbers above for a 2022 'Pattern' neck feels chunkier than a DGT?
The DGT is an odd duck. By all accounts, it’s a “multiple carve” neck. Meaning it starts as one carve and the morphs to another half way down. To my hands, the Pattern was chunkier. Some of that may have to do with the narrower string spacing on the DGT.

Back