Dava Picks

I used Dava picks for a while, but got over them after a few months... It was nice not always having picks shift in your hand while playing, but I did find the rock control kind of annoying because of the ridge between the red and black plastic would catch on my strings. I did grind it down to a smooth transition, but eventually just switched to tortex Picks. I've been wanting to try gravity, just keep forgetting to order some when I have "extra" money to blow.

I haven't tried the Davas, but I've used a variety of picks for some time now. I like the Jazz IIIs, but I need the XLs - the regular ones are too small for my pudgy fingers. After I got those, I found the Ultex Sharps, and I've been using those a lot. I really like them. I have some Wegen bluegrass picks - thick, easy to hold. Then I added a variety of V-Picks, which I like a lot as well.

But then jfb ruined me. He sold me a used Red Bear pick.

Oh my, but it's sweet. I could feel a difference with how the pick slides off the strings from the get-go.

And just a couple weeks ago, I picked up two of their Guthrie Govan models. Roughly the same as the one jfb sold me, but it has a serrated edge along part of the rounded side.

When I first started I was a Jazz 3 player bc of Eric Johnson, after that dunno just felt right. Started getting much more serious about my playing a few years back but normal picks never felt right when I played. I got use to using my finger or hand with a pick hybrid strumming. I traded for a guitar and in the pouch was a Dava, for electric haven't used anything else since. I ordered 2 6 packs of the red jazz size ones and haven't looked back. I've yet to drop one at a gig and it just feels right. Little too heavy for acoustic work IMO

I've always played with a thumbpick (electric & acoustic). About 25 years ago, I bought a 50pack of Dunlop, plain white ones. Still have at least 30 left, so I'm set. :proud:

I've always played with a thumbpick (electric & acoustic). About 25 years ago, I bought a 50pack of Dunlop, plain white ones. Still have at least 30 left, so I'm set. :proud:

I never had any luck playing with a thumbpick until a few years ago. Then I was recording something that just needed a thumbpick. Finally found a pick that would work for me - and then couldn't remember where I got it or what brand it was. Took over a year before I found it - Picks By The Pound.

Now I can't hardly play fingerstyle without a thumbpick.

Then again, I can't hardly play fingerstyle, so...

I never had any luck playing with a thumbpick until a few years ago. Then I was recording something that just needed a thumbpick. Finally found a pick that would work for me - and then couldn't remember where I got it or what brand it was. Took over a year before I found it - Picks By The Pound.

Now I can't hardly play fingerstyle without a thumbpick.

Then again, I can't hardly play fingerstyle, so...

Yeah, playing with a thumbpick is definitely awkward when you start with it, especially upstrokes. The person who got me started many, many years ago played with a thumbpick and encouraged me to go that way and stick with it. I also wanted to play banjo, so it made sense. Once you get used to it, a tp offers a lot of advantages including not losing them very often (lol), but it's not to everyone's taste.

Back