Damaged finish!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by thiago furtado, Sep 29, 2016.

1. thiago furtado

thiago furtado New Member

Hello guys,

I own a 2012's Tremonti PRS model, sunburst, just astonishing. In an attempt to clean and take good care of it and in a glimpse of dumbness, I forgot everything I knew about cleaning it, and used a soft tissue soaked with alcohol 43%. Just a little bit, though. But unfortunately it was enough to damage it. It's now a bit cloudy and scratched all over the top, almost imperceptible for others, but still a stone in my shoes.

I live in Brazil so a refinish is not possible with a PRS care center. Would a great guitar polish do the work?
    Or else, what should I do?

Thanks anyway

2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

3. Huggy B

Huggy B Raaarrr!!!

I hope the $20 product works for you, but if it does not, I would find the best guitar repair in your area and see if they have a buffing machine to re-polish the finish. If you just damaged the top of the finish coats you should be able to bring it back to a decent shine.

Good luck.

4. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

Could you maybe post a picture of how it looks?

Maertl513 likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew New Member

Just needs a buff.

I have a no chemicals on guitar policy and have for a long time. Get some nice microfiber towels and just rub down every now and then.

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I`ve used the ebuy scratch remover with exceptional results. (Except for the CE 24 I bought that had had the finish "repaired" with nail polish followed by razor blade scrapes.)

7. thiago furtado

thiago furtado New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

OK, for the scratches I can definitely recommend what AP515 suggested. I've used it myself to great results.

About the cloudiness, I can't tell you what to do. If it's NOT simply dues to microscratches, I'd contact PRS directly and ask, and tell them what is in the solution you used. Potentially, it might disappear by itself over some time (again, no idea). I'd find out about any cloudiness BEFORE using the polish stuff - just in case. And as always, try it out on the back or other "hidden" places first.

And that's a gorgeous guitar, by the way!!

thiago furtado likes this.