Chris Henderson singlecut. Cloudy finish on body. Bubble wrap the issue???

brentrocks

Hey fellas!!

I just received this 2007 PRS CHRIS HENDERSON today.

The seller put bubble wrap over the top of the guitar before he shipped it.

Is it possible that the bubble wrap reacted with the finish?

It’s really hard to photograph. It’s primarily around the bottom edge of the top and around the knobs.

Does PRS have a history with getting cloudy spots in their finishes?

Thanks in advance.

Bubble wrap is not the problem. Cloudy spots in a film finish usually indicate moisture absorption in the finish itself. You want to proceed with caution, but what you can try is using something like a heating pad with a thin cloth or towel in between the pad and the guitar to warm it up and see if you can get the water to gas out of the finish. I used to do this all the time with our kitchen table, but I'd use an iron and a towel. The rings would disappear every time.

Bubble wrap is not the problem. Cloudy spots in a film finish usually indicate moisture absorption in the finish itself. You want to proceed with caution, but what you can try is using something like a heating pad with a thin cloth or towel in between the pad and the guitar to warm it up and see if you can get the water to gas out of the finish. I used to do this all the time with our kitchen table, but I'd use an iron and a towel. The rings would disappear every time.
I’m gonna try that

Maybe the heating pad isn't hot enough. Try a Blow dryer on top of the towel. Be careful not to get it too hot too fast.
I’m just gonna leave it be. I’m going to contact the seller.

It’s hard to capture in photos. It looks worse in person

I have a 2005 Singlecut that had this issue. I just got it back from PtC for a refinish because it was getting worse. Refinish looks great, but it cost some bucks and that was with it being under warranty since I was the original owner.

At least you tried. It definitely must be hot enough to create steam, but not be hot enough to burn your guitar or melt your knobs ( I’d remove them).

Got any buddies that build acoustic guitars? Maybe try a wood heating blanket…(long shot, I know.)

Buffing on a wheel/machine polishing will help in a lot of cases. It heats the finish and “reflows” it on a microscopic level. Sometimes though it is trapped moisture or a “blush”. This can be treated by spraying a lacquer retarder/reducer on the finish and letting it cure. This should only be done by someone skilled in refinish work. In my opinion, if you like the guitar then bring it to someone who can buff it for you and if that doesn’t work then just chalk it up to aging.

At least you tried. It definitely must be hot enough to create steam, but not be hot enough to burn your guitar or melt your knobs ( I’d remove them).

Got any buddies that build acoustic guitars? Maybe try a wood heating blanket…(long shot, I know.)
You definitely don’t want to steam it as that will likely make the problem worse.

Back