S2 Saturday: A Mira Ode

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
After me experience last night and today, I can honestly say that I don’t feel ENOUGH good things are being said and written about the S2 line. I’m going to help change that.

I took delivery of my McCarty Tobacco Burst S2 Mira last evening. I have a bunch of older and newer MD PRSi, I used to have a 2008 Mira, and I have had thirteen (13!) SEs of various iterations pass through my hands over the last few years. So I hope to present to you a good perspective on the S2 Mira.

First of all, I am biased – I am not a Starla guy, and the body shape of the S2CU24 leaves me nonplussed. But when I first saw the S2 Mira, I found it to be one of the most proportional and balanced guitar silhouettes I have seen. The McCarty burst is just sexy on this thing.

While I thought my SEs were great, I purged all of them over the past year to help finance Maryland-made purchases. This review will contain a fair amount of comparison to, and criticism of, the SEs that I am so familiar with. No disrespect meant – the SE line encompasses some of the best guitar bargains out there – but I am hoping to answer the question “are S2s just Maryland SEs?” as part of this.

A final preface - I also mean no disrespect to my ex-Mira. She had a WICKED dead spot on “D” (I am talking 3 seconds and then abrupt cutoff), and no one ever could get the action set right, so maybe she just wasn’t “right.”

COME ON, WHATS IN THE BOX?
The S2s are packaged more securely than the SEs. New SEs come shipped inside their gig bags, inside a form-fitting box with a Styrofoam neck protector piece. That box is inside another box. The bag has your tools, warranty card and requisite Mel Bay tag. The S2s also ship in-bag, but more securely. There is a rolled piece of bubble wrap inside the bag to prevent headstock movement. The bag is placed in a larger rectangular box, with thick rolls of heavy-duty bubble wrap around all four sides. In-bag, you get your tools and accessories, including an extra locking tuning screw, and a proper S2 hang tag, born-on date, QC signoff, S2 MODCAT, manual, marketing stuff, Mel Bay, etc. It’s a-nice-nice.

FINISH AT THE START:
The S2 finish feels good, durable, and thin. It doesn’t have the buffed-out shine of a Core PRS. Mine has visible swirl marks and some minor clear coat imperfections around the neck pocket. However, the S2 finish is a far cry from the syrupy-thick SE finish that keeps you away from the wood. Color-wise, the McCarty Tobacco Burst is beautiful and even. Body-wise, the mahogany looks to be a fine grade, although a bit grainless. Speaking of body – this girl shops in the petite section at 6lbs 5.4oz.

NECKIN’
The S2 neck is definitely more Core than SE. The mahogany board is of a noticeably higher quality than the SEs, with more grain, less pores, and without that artificial, dyed look many SE boards exhibit. Fretwork is befitting of a Core PRS. The birds are OK – they are laid with precision, but at the end of the day, they are off-white finely-grained plastic. The pattern regular profile feels fabulous – substantial and uber-comfy, all will feel at home who have ever even slightly liked a wide fat or pattern neck. She comes with .10s, and was set up very well, with a slight relief in the neck. I lowered the bridge studs about a full turn - perfect.

NAUGHTY BITS
The S2 locking tuners have the touted unplated brass shafts, and are mounted without screws – making them look really tiny from the back. Not sure how well that bodes for aftermarkets, but you probably won’t need to replace them - they feel smooth and stable. The Core fixed bridge looks right at home here, just as I remember it on my old Mira. Strap buttons are happily the larger Core variety. Plastic on the pickguard and pickups is very shiny but feels substantial. The gold PRS headstock signature looks proud and at-home up on top.

TWISTING HER KNOBS
I was immediately pleased that the S2 volume and tone pots do not feel like the SE knobs. However, they don’t feel like the Core pots either. They are similar to the knobs on the SECU24, but the push/pull tone pot doesn’t spin like “Wheel of Fortune” and the volume pot offers a more reassuring resistance. The 3-way switch is very solid and feels even stiffer than the one on my 408. Core lampshades help to dress things up.

LAP DANCE
OK, here we go. I tune her up, placed her in my lap and hit a D chord. YES. At that moment I knew I would be sending in her warranty card instead of calling for an RMA. She rang super loud, super long, and super chimey. MOST importantly – I FELT her ringing in my lap. It always bugged me that I could never feel the SEs on my leg like I could with the Core guitars. The S2 Mira purrs in your lap like a kitty.

SHE’S A SCREAMER
A few weeks back I posted a thread about how loud my Paul’s Guitar was unplugged. Meet the new Scream Queen. At a nearly constant 69db, she trumped my PG and others by more than 1db. I even repeated the experiment to make sure environmental variables were not a factor.

ALL PLUGGED IN
I ran the S2 Mira straight into both my Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:50 combo and my Blackstar HT Club 40 Combo via my favorite freebie PRS TY pack VanDamme cable.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE BRIDGE?
I am going to make a bold statement. In full bucker mode, the guitar that the S2 Mira sounds the most like is my Paul’s Guitar - ALOT. It has that vocal quality that makes it sounds like a 8 ¾ scale PG. Sustain is amazingly close, too – I have older Core guitars that ring less. Tapped, the bridge reminds me a lot of the SECU24 tapped, with tons of twangy bite, but more character – and much more usable than my old Mira. That being said, nothings quite the same after tapped 408s.

MORE NECKIN’
The neck pickup is stellar – it has the flutey roundness that I miss from my ex-SE Santanas, but again with more character. It retains strong definition even when you back the pots down – this remains true tapped as well.

COMBOS
My second bold statement is that, clean, the middle position full bucker on the S2 Mira also comes scary close my absolute favorite clean tone ever: the bridge bucker / neck tapped center position on my 408 Brazzy. There is a great fullness to the tone, with the roundness of the neck and the ringiness of the bridge at just the right ratio. Tapped in combination is my least favorite sound on the S2 Mira – it still sounds great, but has the least character clean, and just a hint of the “artificialness” that I noticed on my ex-SECU24s.

SPINNIN’
The volume and tone pots, in addition to feeling better than the SEs, work better than on the SEs. Rolling back the volume cuts off the edge, and continues to clean up well. I usually leave my tones on ten, but that pot seems also comparably responsive to the Core models.

FINAL VERDICT
The S2 Mira is a sexy, soulful tone-beast and you really should just go get one. The character and complexity of the sounds here rivals all of the Maryland-made PRSi I have. The tone is definitely more vintage than modern, but she can growl and sing with the best of them. From my experience, the S2 Mira is a better guitar than the Core model it replaces. If you think that this is a glorified SE, a few quality moments with one will show you otherwise. For about a grand street, you will absolutely do no better. I cannot speak for the other S2 siblings, but my review answers many questions, and leaves me with only one: will a new PRS Multifit Case fit this thing? Cantankerous, OUT.

PICTURES:

003_zpsde9f4010.jpg

004_zps57e6c2ae.jpg

008_zps031a8d7b.jpg

014_zpsb48c62a0.jpg

016_zpsd0b3132e.jpg

017_zps417538eb.jpg

025_zps3285ff9b.jpg

Great review. I've played one and absolutely loved it. No cash right now but it's likely an Antique White model will be hanging on a wall in my house in the not too distant future!

I especially appreciated the comparison between the core Mira and the S2 model as I am currently debating purchase of one or the other very soon!!! You are the man Carl... Thanks for the insight...

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks.

This all started out as an attempt to find a new "player" (beater would be too harsh). I had set my budget @ $1K, and was pretty much set on finding a moderately-loved CE or Standard. Most of those that grabbed me were several hundred above my budget with tax & shipping. There are plenty of used Core Miras out there, but the ones I found had not had the easiest of lives.

The S2 Mira had initially grabbed me by sight - but I think it was all of the YouTube videos that really swayed me. There are a few posts (a PRS UK one with Bernie Marsden and two others, Chappers) which were multi-S2 reviews, and I would just listen to the sounds without watching the screen - every time I thought "that's it" is was an S2 Mira.

Also, watching several of the S2 factory tours from Experience, I guess as corny as it sounds I really started drinking the kool aid. I have an immense amount of respect for the planning, investment, and effort it took to launch the S2 line, and after repeated viewings, I kept thinking that this is a series of guitars that could ONLY be built by PRS at this time in the company's history. If I was going to drop a grand, I wanted to support that effort - rather than just buying a used guitar that would be a "plink" in a mega-chain's bucket.

Right on, man. I have seen nothing but positive reviews about the S2 Mira. Some of the demo videos online have streamed through my computer more than once, admittedly.

I'm actually on the fence at the moment. It has been time for something to replace my SE baritone for a while now... just time for a change there. It's been in the group 4.5 years and I'm looking for something a little different. I already have two truly great guitars in standard tuning and am looking for something close to that greatness for our stuff in B standard. However, the S2 Mira is something I have wanted since January 2007 when the original Mira was announced and the GAS is serious.

I just got mine on Friday . I believe you said it all Carl ! My sentiments exactly !

:congrats:
Thanks for the positive feedback, folks.

This all started out as an attempt to find a new "player" (beater would be too harsh). I had set my budget @ $1K, and was pretty much set on finding a moderately-loved CE or Standard. Most of those that grabbed me were several hundred above my budget with tax & shipping. There are plenty of used Core Miras out there, but the ones I found had not had the easiest of lives.

The S2 Mira had initially grabbed me by sight - but I think it was all of the YouTube videos that really swayed me. There are a few posts (a PRS UK one with Bernie Marsden and two others, Chappers) which were multi-S2 reviews, and I would just listen to the sounds without watching the screen - every time I thought "that's it" is was an S2 Mira.

Also, watching several of the S2 factory tours from Experience, I guess as corny as it sounds I really started drinking the kool aid. I have an immense amount of respect for the planning, investment, and effort it took to launch the S2 line, and after repeated viewings, I kept thinking that this is a series of guitars that could ONLY be built by PRS at this time in the company's history. If I was going to drop a grand, I wanted to support that effort - rather than just buying a used guitar that would be a "plink" in a mega-chain's bucket.

Great review....very well composed!!! Beautiful guitar (on both accounts). This answered a lot of my questions, as well. When the S2 line was announced, I was curious but admittedly skeptical but now I REALLY want to try one of these out. My only question is will PRS make those S2 gig bags available in the Shop??? I really like the looks of those gig bags!!!

Last edited:
excellent review....and what a beautiful guitars...I'm 2 days away from receiving my 513 AP and already planning ahead (with the right excuse for my wife :wink: of course)
to get a Mira S2 or a Starla in Antique white...is this normal??? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

You know what else is cool...the rosewood on the fretboard actually smells nice. At first I thought it was maybe remnants of hand lotion, or inside of bag smell, but it's not.

Not sure if it's something used to treat the wood, or the wood itself, but it's similar in quality to the BRW smell from my PG and 408 Brazzy...not as strong, but has a similar quality to it, so I am guessing it's the wood itself. I thought I was crazy at first, but I am not...the nose knows.

Wonder what they are using?

Very accurate review. I just got back from a trip and had the house to myself for a while and played my S2 Mira for about 3 hours. Mine, save for the serial #, is built like yours and my sentiments are the same about the finish. Looks tend to be the last of my concerns when I consider a new guitar, but I'm very happy with my Mira. I got it a week before my trip and wasn't sure about when I left. I also had the chance to play a few Les Pauls(one Standard and one Studio DLX) while away. Today, I was wondering what my impressions would be of the Mira when I returned. What I found was that the Mira is just a great sounding guitar with a lot of sustain. I'm not going to bother with a Mira vs. LP comparison, because they are different. But, the notes on the Mira seem very clearly defined and ring quite clearly - both amplified and acoustically. I've had a Strat of some sort since the late 80's and I find that the Mira is pushing me to slightly change my playing style to hold bends longer and play legato style a bit more. I've also owned a LP before, but didn't care for the weight.

I've got some gigs set for February and I can't wait to work it into the rotation or make it my number one(for gigs I like to bring a #1, a backup, and one guitar for alternate tunings). One other factor, I should note, is that this is first time I've been able to play it while pushing my amp a bit(no "wife settings"), which really let the character of the guitar come through. I had originally found the bass pickup a bit muddy, but I think that I resolved that with a little tweaking today. I would consider adding a dedicated neck volume(my Strats are wired this way) in the future, but only playing it more will determine that.

Back