‘99 Hollowbody II fogging finish - treatable?

Strat1117

You Enjoy Myself
New member here, first post, so please go easy on me - I’m an old guy and the interwebs are hard.

I own and love a ‘99 McCarty Hollowbody II 10 top since new. I’ve always practiced good guitar hygiene, and none of my Gibsons or Fenders have this problem, but I’ve noticed some small areas of ‘milkiness’ or ‘fogging’ in the finish (probably due to sweat accumulated during performances that seeped in before getting wiped?). I’ve reached out to PTC, and they want to refinish the guitar with the new nitro finish (‘99 finish was urethane). While not inexpensive, I’m not shocked at the cost, but I’m hesitant for 2 reasons: 1. It is expected to take 4 to 6 MONTHS, and idk if I want to part with my primary instrument for that long, and 2. I fear that stripping and respraying will leave tell tale signs that it has been refinished (like repainting a car - no matter how good the job is, a trained eye can always tell).

So, does anyone have a fix for this? I’ve tried Zymol, and I ordered a MusicNomad polish kit, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do short of a full refinish? I searched the forum before posting but didn’t come up with anything directly on point.

Also, has anyone had their guitar refinished by PRS? Is it ‘good as new’?

I’d post pics, but apparently I have not earned that privilege yet.

Thanks to all.

Neil

Last edited:
No firsthand experience with it myself, but I can tell you that my understanding is this is most likely moisture underneath the finish, and the only way to fix is a complete refinishing, unfortunately.

I can also say that the folks who've had that service done by the PTC have had nothing but rave reviews of the results. The time you have to wait is definitely frustrating, and it's expensive for sure. But all reports I've seen are it is indeed as good as new, or even better in some cases.

I'd say you need to decide how big a concern the spots are for you - is it worth the wait and cost? If you decide to do it, I would certainly stick with the PTC rather than someone else to do the job, but that's just my opinion...

I can't offer any constructive advice here, but you came to the right place to ask.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum! And you know this already but...

pics.gif

No firsthand experience with it myself, but I can tell you that my understanding is this is most likely moisture underneath the finish, and the only way to fix is a complete refinishing, unfortunately.

I can also say that the folks who've had that service done by the PTC have had nothing but rave reviews of the results. The time you have to wait is definitely frustrating, and it's expensive for sure. But all reports I've seen are it is indeed as good as new, or even better in some cases.

I'd say you need to decide how big a concern the spots are for you - is it worth the wait and cost? If you decide to do it, I would certainly stick with the PTC rather than someone else to do the job, but that's just my opinion...
Thanks. I’ve communicated again with PTC, and what you wrote matches up exactly with what they said - not only would the guitar come back as good as or better than new, but they would use the new nitro finish, which would be considered an upgrade. They also suggested (because I asked, not because they were trying to upsell me) that the 57/15 LT pickups would be warmer and more liquid than the now discontinued Archtops that are in there now (a good thing, for me since I play mostly Dead, phish, ABB, etc., and my Recto 25 needs no extra help from the pickups if I want to add some crunch).

I agree, I wouldn’t let anyone but PTC do the work, cost notwithstanding. The 4-6 month wait time is now the biggest psychological hurdle, but I suppose I could play the ‘96 Lester for a few months - it’s been largely ignored in favor of the HB II for many years and would probably appreciate some love and attention. It’s a wonderful instrument, but it weighs 95 lbs. Comparatively, the PRS is as light as a feather.

I can't offer any constructive advice here, but you came to the right place to ask.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum! And you know this already but...

pics.gif
Thanks for the welcome. I agree completely about the pics, but as a brandy new member, I apparently have not yet earned the right to post pics. Or maybe I’m doing it wrong - every forum is different. Is there a trick to it? Do I have to dust off my photobucket account (feh), or is there a way to post pics directly? When I click on the photo icon, all I get is a blank box which is apparently looking for a link, but it won’t accept the link to my iCloud.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. I agree completely about the pics, but as a brandy new member, I apparently have not yet earned the right to post pics. Or maybe I’m doing it wrong - every forum is different. Is there a trick to it? Do I have to dust off my photobucket account (feh), or is there a way to post pics directly? When I click on the photo icon, all I get is a blank box which is apparently looking for a link.

Well, there you go, that was your third post, you should be able to add pics now. But yes, you'll have to dust off the Photobucket, or create an Imgur which a lot of people here use. postimages.org let's you put them up with out an account. I use imgbb.com to host mine.

Gratuitous artsy pic:

99-D64886-587-B-42-E0-A2-A3-E91-EAF0-EEA60.jpg

This is completely what it is. Seems to happen more, or worse, in areas of extreme humidity. There have been members from SE Asia that have posted some very foggy finish pictures.

I think a few people on here have stated that warmth can make it better. Like using a hair dryer, or something similar. But, the refinish is really the best way to go. Especially if they are doing it with the new nitro finish. I have had two guitars, and a neck refinished by the PTC. The neck was a warranty issue with the clear coat peeling away at the edge of the fret board. The two refinishes were both at my request, and both to a different color. On both of them, I was quoted 16 weeks, which lines up with your 4 months. The first one took every minute of 16 weeks, and the second one was back in 5 weeks. I was more than pleased with how they turned out.

There is nothing you can do about the finish other than a refinish. I had to send one of mine in about a year and a half ago to be inspected. Mine had the V12 finish on it and they told me it needed refinished. They had mine turned around in a few weeks. I am not sure how far backed up they really are these days. My guitar looks like new. There are no signs of a refinish on it at all. The color of the guitar looks as good, or better, than it did when I sent it in. I would not be concerned about having them refinish it.

I was concerned that it would harm the value of the guitar if I ever decided to sell it. I was informed by multiple sources that it would not negatively affect the value because it was being done by the manufacturer of the guitar.

Well, there you go, that was your third post, you should be able to add pics now. But yes, you'll have to dust off the Photobucket, or create an Imgur which a lot of people here use. postimages.org let's you put them up with out an account. I use imgbb.com to host mine.

Gratuitous artsy pic:

99-D64886-587-B-42-E0-A2-A3-E91-EAF0-EEA60.jpg
Nope. Set up an imgbb account as you suggested, but it still won’t accept the link. I’ll keep trying. Maybe it’s the phone. I’ll try from the laptop later.

Last edited:
If you are using imgbb, there is a symbol in the lower rigth of each uploaded image that looks like this: </>

Click on that and in the pop up thre is a drop down menu, select "BBCode Full" and then copy the entire link it provides. Paste that directly into the posting window here (don't use the insert image function)

Ok, here goes nuthin’:

IMG-6988.jpg

IMG-6987.jpg

IMG-6984.jpg

It worked - thanks!!!
That's a nice looking guitar. I had a '97 Santana I that I bought in 2018 that had a little of the clouding around the lower horn, and on the back of the headstock. It was like that when I got it, and didn't get any worse in the 4 years I owned it.

Ok, here goes nuthin’:

IMG-6988.jpg

IMG-6987.jpg

IMG-6984.jpg

It worked - thanks!!!
Tough call on that one. The clouding doesn't look too bad. Mine was a lot worse than that. Mine sort of did it overnight. It was kept in the case and I hadn't had it out for a while. When I pulled it out to play it, I noticed the cloudiness of the finish in a few spots. It seemed to get worse kind of fast. That is when I decided to reach out to PRS on it.

The good news is that if you get it refinished by them it should not happen again. It will also be done right since they are the ones doing it. After having one of mine redone by them, I would have them refinish it. You won't be disappointed. I have enough PRS guitars to keep me entertained if one of mine has to go in for something like that so it is easy for me to say, send it in.

Welcome to the forum Strat1117! Pix look great, glad you could figure it out!! As for the refinish, nothing to say that has not already been said other than I would not spend the money based on what I see in the photos ;~)) But that is just me, we all have our own standards!!!
Thanks, Moondog. I am picky, but I don’t disagree. If I keep it, I probably won’t do anything, but (at the risk of being drawn and quartered in the public square), I’ve been considering giving it to my son, who is an outstanding player, for his upcoming 35th birthday. As I mentioned earlier, I’m 64 and it’s been more than a decade since I’ve played in public, so I don’t really need an OMG! guitar for the stage anymore, and I think this beauty deserves a more skilled owner than this old hack. I know he’s been coveting it since he was 15. So, IF I were to do that, I’d want it to be just exactly perfect.

Otoh, he also might just have to wait for me to croak before it’s his, since one of my old college buddies and I had a little PRS jam session recently (his sister actually worked at PRS for a number of years), and it felt kinda good playing with a live human instead of the Ditto looper for once, so perhaps The Grateful Dads (now Granddads - ouch!) will rise from the ashes once again…

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome and good advice. See you ‘round the campus.

Thanks, Moondog. I am picky, but I don’t disagree. If I keep it, I probably won’t do anything, but (at the risk of being drawn and quartered in the public square), I’ve been considering giving it to my son, who is an outstanding player, for his upcoming 35th birthday. As I mentioned earlier, I’m 64 and it’s been more than a decade since I’ve played in public, so I don’t really need an OMG! guitar for the stage anymore, and I think this beauty deserves a more skilled owner than this old hack. I know he’s been coveting it since he was 15. So, IF I were to do that, I’d want it to be just exactly perfect.

Otoh, he also might just have to wait for me to croak before it’s his, since one of my old college buddies and I had a little PRS jam session recently (his sister actually worked at PRS for a number of years), and it felt kinda good playing with a live human instead of the Ditto looper for once, so perhaps The Grateful Dads (now Granddads - ouch!) will rise from the ashes once again…

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome and good advice. See you ‘round the campus.

I would check with your son to see how much that bothers him. If he says he would fix it, then I would say get 'er done! If he says he thinks it is fine the way it is and he loves it just as much, then that is that! Great that you are thinking of gifting it to him, I am sure he would be stoked with or without the foggy finish ;~)) So I guess I would say his call at this point (unless of course you decide to stick with it)! Best wishes on whatever you choose!!!

Welcome!

For what it's worth, I had a hard time seeing the hazing/clouding until I saw the close-up. If it was me, I'd leave it. But if you decide on the PTC treatment, I'm sure you'won't regret it when it's done. The 58/18LTs are fabulous.

In the meantime, you can carefully try getting trapped moisture out of a urethane film finish by careful application of low, protected, consistent heat. You can try putting an iron on a low setting and adding heat to the affected area through a lint-free towel. You want to be careful not to overheat it. But if you're able to warm up the trapped water, it can gas off through the finish. I used to do this trick with our old wooden dining room table when a beverage glass would leave its mark. Slap an iron over a towel and watch the cloud disappear.

Good luck.

Back