Case Queens

The problem with core and better PRS guitars is that most guitarists who manage to scrape together enough money to purchase one want a guitar that is in perfect condition. That is due in large part to the fact that PRS guitars are status symbols in addition to being well-made instruments.

I've never thought of PRS as status symbols - most people would have no idea how much one cost and wouldn't be able to tell a newer SE from a Private Stock.

For what it's worth I like this one as much as any of the ten PRSi I've owned - it's probably as far from a case queen as you can get.

IMG3512.jpeg

The front looks far less bashed, but mostly because the finish hides it well. It's a 1988 Sig, so from before 'Core' was a thing.

Pictures659.jpg

I play everything I own. What are we talking high end btw?
I equate "high end" as being anything out of my price range. So for me, my (wherever it is at the moment) incoming SE Hollowbody is in that category. I went so far as to tell herself the USD price of it...I just didn't tell her it was $US. She doesn't even know about the Seagull S12 yet (please don't throw rocks at me folks, I just had to have it) and I've never even held a 12 string in my hands. Woe is me, I'm so weak....

I play all of mine except for this one, which is in about as pristine of condition as you'll find a 31 year old guitar. It's a 1991 Bonni Pink Custom that literally looks like it's never been played. Has the rare trem up-route too... I picked it up years ago from Doc Bennett on the old BAM forum (RIP Doc) and it's just too clean for me to muck up. Also is signed by Bonni Lloyd on the backplate...
1991-PRS-Custom-Bonni-Pink-Close-Up-1.jpg

I play all of mine except for this one, which is in about as pristine of condition as you'll find a 31 year old guitar. It's a 1991 Bonni Pink Custom that literally looks like it's never been played. Has the rare trem up-route too... I picked it up years ago from Doc Bennett on the old BAM forum (RIP Doc) and it's just too clean for me to muck up. Also is signed by Bonni Lloyd on the backplate...
Pink rules!

Doc was fellow Jersey guy and all-around cool dude.
Beauty of a guitar!

What constitutes a 'Case Queen'?

All my guitars could be considered 'Case Queens' as they spend more of their time kept safe and secure in their cases. That's in part because I don't have that much space to hang guitars on the wall or keep in a 'rack' and try and find some storage solution for the cases. Instead of a rack of guitars taking up space and then another rack of cases, my guitars live inside their case. It makes more sense to me to keep my guitars inside their cases, keep them 'free' from dust, UV, wild temperature swings etc etc - all for a 'few' extra minutes taking them out or putting away.

I am also a 'big believer' in looking after your tools - like any good crafts person will. Just like a good Luthier willl look after their tools, ensuring they are always 'clean' and/or sharp, because they are important to the crafts person to do their best work. That doesn't mean they won't 'use' their tools in case they scratch or ding them - that patina of age and use, while still looking as clean and functional as possible. I'd be concerned taking my guitar to a 'Luthier' with all his 'tools' of the trade looking dirty/rusty, blunt etc because if they don't care about their own 'tools', they aren't necessarily gonna 'care' about my 'tools'.

I don't care about the 'value' of my instruments and therefore concerned about losing money if I play my instruments and they get scratched or dinged - its just part of their 'story' and my memories with that instrument. If I 'cared' about 'resale' value, I'd never buy new as you 'lose' money before you even play it. I care more about the 'value' and Joy it brings to me and, if you wanted to buy 'my' guitars, you'd have to pay a lot more than they are 'worth' on the market to make up for their 'worth' to me with the memories and 'joy' they have associated with them.

I do look after my stuff - I keep ALL my Records/CD's, Video Games etc all in their cases too. I only take out a CD when I want to listen to it and it goes straight back in its case after - that way, it stays clean, doesn't get unnecessarily scratched or dinged by being left out with cats etc around, its stays in 'great' clean condition until the next time I want to listen to it.

When you have multiple guitars, it doesn't matter how you 'keep' them, you'll still gravitate towards maybe a couple and the others sit in the rack/case/wall until you need it or fancy trying it again - its still 'sat' doing nothing for weeks, maybe months etc. The only difference as I see it is that 1 may well be a high-end guitar in a Hard case so its a 'Case Queen' where as the rest are not.

I probably play my PRS 509 the least. I tend to think of it as my Super Strat and when I specifically want that 'SSS' configuration - which is not often. With all my others having HB's - from 'Vintage' inspired 58/15 LT's, the more 'Classic' HB of the 58/15 MT's, 'Modern' 85/15's to high output \m/ in the Cu24 Floyd, I don't tend to gravitate to the 509 when I want 'HB's' which I do 90% of the time. That's not to say the 509's HB's aren't good, in fact I often forget how 'good' they can be, its just that the others jump out more - want a LP or 335 like tone-594 or 594 HB, maybe the Special if you want a bit more push and both Cu24's have their distinct sound and flavour too so I don't gravitate as much as I 'could' towards my 509 so it does spend a lot of time in its case, not being played but I'd argue its 'not' a case queen because its there if/when I want to play it and its still an important part of my collection. Its not kept in its case to 'forget' about it and hopefully in time will be 'worth' more as an asset than as an instrument, its kept in its case to look after it so that when its 'needed', its in the best, loved condition to be relied upon...

Mighty fine.
I wouldn’t be able to not play it though.

Right now, in the dead of NYC winter, my guitars are all "biodome" queens. Literally have tented both guitar racks with 3mil plastic sheeting with small humidifiers running. I've had more fret sprout, shrinking wood (i know, they have pills for that), and so on... It's not a rainforest in there or anything, but I keep it set to about 60% humidity.

All of my guitars, including my PS, Artist and WL models, have always been played, and they're all in straight-up perfect condition after years of ownership.

I don't see the point in buying a guitar and not playing it. Hell, even museums take their Stradivari and other pieces out and have them played by visiting artists. It's easy to take care of a guitar and minimize damage by simply exercising a little bit of care.

If you like having a guitar that only sits in a case, nothing wrong with that, of course (he said while grinding his teeth).

Right now, in the dead of NYC winter, my guitars are all "biodome" queens. Literally have tented both guitar racks with 3mil plastic sheeting with small humidifiers running. I've had more fret sprout, shrinking wood (i know, they have pills for that), and so on... It's not a rainforest in there or anything, but I keep it set to about 60% humidity.
It gets very, very dry in cold Michigan winters, worse than NY. I have no problems like that, because I keep them cased, and throw in a D' Addario humidipak in all my electrics, and the recommended 3 packs in the acoustic.

No warping of necks, no cracking, no fret sprout, no seasonal adjustments needed. Seems a lot easier than dealing with plastic sheets and all that. Keeps the guitars in better shape in general, too.

It gets very, very dry in cold Michigan winters, worse than NY. I have no problems like that, because I keep them cased, and throw in a D' Addario humidipak in all my electrics, and the recommended 3 packs in the acoustic.

No warping of necks, no cracking, no fret sprout, no seasonal adjustments needed. Seems a lot easier than dealing with plastic sheets and all that. Keeps the guitars in better shape in general, too.
Where do you put your humidipack in the case? Is it a bad idea to put them in the compartment under leather straps next to the neck?

Wow! When did he pass away? Doc Bennet was a regular on Birds and Moons.

With that said, it is difficult to believe that Birds and Moons went down ten years ago. That was a cool forum. Luckily, Hans and Jamie talked PRS into hosting this forum.

If I buy it, I'm playing it. I don't abuse them, but I play 'em all.

Rumor is all of those guitars are counterfeit copies of the real things so that he didn't have to worry about the clientele damaging the real goods.

It‘s true. They were counterfeit copies. They called the counterfeiters’ program, “private stock.”

Last edited:
Where do you put your humidipack in the case? Is it a bad idea to put them in the compartment under leather straps next to the neck?
I put it in the pocket next to the neck if the case has one, or in the pocket near the headstock if it's a French Fit case, like the ones that come on the WL or Artist models.

I don't store leather straps in my cases, I take them off the guitar. Not saying leaving them on is a bad thing, but if you've got a nitro finish, some leather tanning chemicals aren't good for nitro. All but one of my guitars has a nitro finish (4 PS models and a 2021 Artist are nitro), but I'm not into keeping straps on guitars, anyway.

Wow! When did he pass away? Doc Bennet was a regular on Birds and Moons.

With that said, it is difficult to believe that Birds and Moons went down ten years ago. That was a cool forum. Luckily, Hans and Jamie talked PRS into hosting this forum.
Doc passed away shortly after I obtained the '91 Bonni from him... He was a great guy and it was sad to know he was seriously ill. I was on that BAM forum for many moons (and birds) and met so many great people there. So glad this forum exists now!

Back