Winners and losers....

Max Headroom

Your Mom rang, can she have her panties back!
I guess the recent De-Acquistion thread really did get me thinking deeply on this and exactly what I NEED!
Or even want I suppose, and to this end some hard decisions were made over the weekend with some extended playing sessions.
I seem to be gravitating back to my metal roots where I want and expect instant gratification, I don't do subtle...lol.
Even though musically as listening I have expanded my horizons to blues, fusion and jazz that's not where my playing lies (full disclosure...not good enough..lol)
Imagine the scene in Back to the Future where Marty cranks up the Docs rig and gets blown through the wall when he hits a power chord...yep that's me!
So my recent purchases of superstrat guitars have fueled that need and very nicely too.
So to the winners as far as the PRS stable goes are....
1985 Standard 24...the grandaddy, this one will likely be buried with me!
2001 McCarty 10 top rosewood neck...it just feels right in every way.
2002 CE22, for whatever reason I just love the Maple neck on this and the Dragon II just rip!
2002 PS CE24...what more do I need to say?

And that's it unfortunately.
The losers that just don't make me want to keep on playing are.
1997 Custom 22 10 top...it should ring my bell but just doesn't, can't explain why right now.
2001 CE22...I prefer the 2002 CE22 and they are too similar to need two of.
2008 SE Soapbar II.
2009 SE Paul Allender.
2013 SE Bernie Marsden.

Tough calls but that's my plan...now see if I can see it through to the end!

Last edited:
Unfortunately is is not a great time to be a seller. It is a good time to buy, and getting better.
Probably but I bought all of these "right" so I can certainly sell at a great price I feel.
And I will not be in any rush.
When one sells I will list the next one etc.
Gives me time to change my mind :cool:

Prices aren’t where they once were but they’re still high compared to pre-pandemic prices. If you bought them before the madness started, you can likely price them competitively and still make a profit after it’s all said and done.

I’m not as concerned about making a windfall as I am converting something unused into something useful. You’re halfway home if you’ve already separated the herd.

Prices aren’t where they once were but they’re still high compared to pre-pandemic prices. If you bought them before the madness started, you can likely price them competitively and still make a profit after it’s all said and done.

I’m not as concerned about making a windfall as I am converting something unused into something useful. You’re halfway home if you’ve already separated the herd.
Figuring out which ones I could probably live without didn't do anything for me. In fact, I just added to the number in the collection.

Figuring out which ones I could probably live without didn't do anything for me. In fact, I just added to the number in the collection.
Don’t feel bad, I’m “halfway home” on many of my own. I’ve moved to just selling off a few smaller unused things like pedals and mics to fund buying other small things like a compact 5.8 wireless and patch cables/adapters for my newest band effort. I really should sell a few guitars, and I know which ones, but haven’t gotten off high center yet.

Don’t feel bad, I’m “halfway home” on many of my own. I’ve moved to just selling off a few smaller unused things like pedals and mics to fund buying other small things like a compact 5.8 wireless and patch cables/adapters for my newest band effort. I really should sell a few guitars, and I know which ones, but haven’t gotten off high center yet.
I have 2 guitars that I prepped to sell and haven't. I know of one more that I am good with selling. I know of 2 more that I think I could talk myself into selling. The issue I have is that I will keep them before I sell them on the cheap. Every one of them is a nice high end instrument. If I can't get what I think is a fair value for them, I will keep them. Low ballers are responsible for me holding on to these. I do my research to find out what the value is that similar items are actually selling for and price mine in those ranges. Without fail, I get flooded with people offering me half of my price for them.

Just to be clear, they are just the PRS side I decided to let go, some non PRS got the axe(sic) as well.
In fact on Saturday I did sell my 50th Anniversary Aztec Gold Fender Strat.
Although when I went to put it in the case there were some doubts…..:confused:

Here's my thinking about selling things:

If you're not playing a guitar, and are thinking about selling, at that point it becomes a fungible item. It can easily be replaced if you decide you want another guitar, and the worst that happens is that its replacement isn't a keeper.

If so, what have you lost? Nothing to speak of!

On the other hand, maybe you decide you want another guitar after a while. and you get lucky and find one that you love and IS a keeper.

Win/win.

If you're not playing a guitar, and are thinking about selling, at that point it becomes a fungible item. It can easily be replaced if you decide you want another guitar, and the worst that happens is that its replacement isn't a keeper.

On the other hand, maybe you decide you want another guitar after a while. and you get lucky and find one that you love and IS a keeper.

Win/win.
Most wise and down to Earth as always.

They are all just possessions at the end of the day.

Just some are more purity than others…lol.

They don’t have to earn their keep with me, and you are right there are always more to buy in the market.

Now if I ever saw a Haloflake for sale…well that might be another story….

Win/win.
I partially agree with this. As time has gone on, a good number of my PRS guitars have gone out of production or have changed quite a bit. I also have a number of them that are custom colors. Those are very hard to replace. I looked around quite a bit when I bought my SC-58 and my 594. Both are custom colors and the only one they did in that color. I would never be able to replace that if I sold them. You then get into trying to find another one similar in as good or better condition as the one you had then you have to hope you bond with it.

Most wise and down to Earth as always.

They are all just possessions at the end of the day.

Just some are more purity than others…lol.

They don’t have to earn their keep with me, and you are right there are always more to buy in the market.

Now if I ever saw a Haloflake for sale…well that might be another story….
I am in a similar situation. I don't need to sell them for the money. The only benefit of me selling them is to have more space, which isn't really a problem right now either. I start feeling like I need to thin them down because I am out of places to put them and I am not getting any younger. I have been starting to get to the place in life where I feel like it is time to purge the excess items I have and settle in for the remaining years with the things that matter most to me. If ignore that feeling it goes away but comes back now and then.

There is always a possibility that I would get back into a playing situation at any time and want to pull a guitar out that I haven't had out for years because it fits the band and the music we play. I may be a little upset with myself if that guitar wasn't there anymore. Two guitars that I feel could be something like that are my 335 and 339. I rarely get them out but they play and sound great and I could easily gig both of them if they fit the band and music. The last band I was in I was doing acoustic tones as well as clean and driven tones. I had my HBII and SCHBII for that band. However, I liked the solid body guitars more for a lot of the music. That led me to buying a P22 and a P22 Trem over time. I have always felt that these two guitars would be two of the last guitars I would ever let go of because of how utilitarian they are in a band. My only PRS that I would consider selling at this point is my 06 Whale Blue Custom 24 10 top. It is a beautiful guitar but I am not that into 24 fret guitars. I am also more fond of thicker necks.

Never Get Rid Of A Lifer Guitar...A Real True Player, As They Are Difficult To Find. There Are A Lot Of Nice Guitars Out There But Truly Great Guitars Are Few And Far Between IMO. My Problem Is I Only Buy What I Consider For Me To Be Lifer Or Truly Great Guitars Which Makes Me Never Want To Sell Anything...Plus Selling Stuff Sucks Now A Days.

I'm at a happy place after having doubled my collection this year with only PRSi. There's enough space, barely and although I haven't totally bonded with all of them, especially the S2 594 SC, it was great deal (like all the rest) and there are enough good things about it that, especially with the right pickups that it could be a keeper since the acoustic tone is so good. So rather than let go of something the natural inclination is to tweak it to its best.

And switching to a fantastic guitar would make less difference than practicing and playing more.

Back