Help with string choices for my PRSs!

Carl_the_Cuttlefish

I have 3 PRS guitars, a S2 Vela solidbody, a SE P90 in both, and a SE Hollowbody II Piezo. Playing through PRS Sonzera amp. I'm really scratching my head on how I should string these up.

Currently I have Daddario flatwounds on my Vela, NYXLs on the P90, and some roundwounds on the Hollowbody - just bought it.

I like the feel of flatwounds better, but I like the sparkle that roundwounds can give. For the P90, I'm wondering if I should switch to half rounds, so I can get the best of both worlds? For the hollowbody, I put one of the flatwounds on and the jazz sound is amazing, much better than the roundwounds, but full piezo seems to have lost some of the acoustic sparkle. Should I go for the jazz sound and not worry about playing full piezo? For the Vela, I think I want to go to NYXLs to get some sparkle back on the humbucker and chime with the neck single coil.

Halp me!

Hard to argue with the NYXLs I think. My HBII piezo I'm in a bit of a pickle too, the stock ones are getting just a tad flat and it's time, and was thinking flats. P90 it's hard to beat the EB Slinky's. Unlike guitars and amps, you can't take one set off the rack and try it then put the thing back if you don't like it. Sure strings aren't a big buy-in, but there is time involved. And possible disappointment.
But it's kind of like the tire and oil discussions on my motorcycle pages...1001 different people and 1001 different answers.

Elixir Optiweb .10-46 on all my guitars. The most consistent, best-sounding, and longest-lasting strings available to mere mortals.And ,after years of working in music stores, I have tried them all.
I almost bought these to try last week but got Ernie Ball Cobalt instead (really good price). Any thoughts on the EB Cobalts? I haven't strung 'em up yet so still don't know. Hoping I like them. I've heard positive things about them but even more good things on the Elixirs.

Elixir Optiweb .10-46 on all my guitars. The most consistent, best-sounding, and longest-lasting strings available to mere mortals.And ,after years of working in music stores, I have tried them all.
Agreed, except I prefer the 9's. Having multiple guitars, the coated strings are an absolute must. Otherwise, I'd be changing a dozen sets of strings every couple months.

I'm on record here as being a fan of flatwounds, but they have to be the right ones. I've tried a bunch on my guitars.

Abandon the D'Addarios; they're the sound that gives flatwounds a bad name for being dull and clunky.

T-I Jazz Swing flats (Thomastik-Infeld) are the ones you want. They are surprisingly lively and juicy sounding, while definitely being flatwounds.

They are knee-bucklingly expensive, but they last forever. (Buy once, cry once.) Try a set and see. Your PRS guitars deserve no less!

=K

Last edited:
I almost bought these to try last week but got Ernie Ball Cobalt instead (really good price). Any thoughts on the EB Cobalts? I haven't strung 'em up yet so still don't know. Hoping I like them. I've heard positive things about them but even more good things on the Elixirs.
I can remember using these a long time ago. I seem to remember liking them.

Back