Build Your Dream Pedalboard!

I'd call that some seriously heroic gear-shopping.

Why be like everyone else, with a mere smattering of pedals when you can have them all, a cornucopia of delight!

Just a wild guess, but I'm gonna assume you're not married...
I used common core math on the pedal count so I could be off. ;) I do like having all the cool stuff though, no doubt about that. If I could just put all the "unique" algos together in a pedal that "made me" buy all the other pedals then we would be onto something because 85% of all the other parts of those pedals are basically the same...lol. My other excuse is option paralysis. Can't decide on one, heck with it, get them all. ;)

Your wild guess would be wrong but I did recently get my daughter off my payroll for her education and all so that was a huge help. The misses fully supports what I do and likewise. I have been at this a long time so it isn't as bad as it appears until you really look at it. :cool:

I used common core math on the pedal count so I could be off. ;) I do like having all the cool stuff though, no doubt about that. If I could just put all the "unique" algos together in a pedal that "made me" buy all the other pedals then we would be onto something because 85% of all the other parts of those pedals are basically the same...lol. My other excuse is option paralysis. Can't decide on one, heck with it, get them all. ;)

Your wild guess would be wrong but I did recently get my daughter off my payroll for her education and all so that was a huge help. The misses fully supports what I do and likewise. I have been at this a long time so it isn't as bad as it appears until you really look at it. :cool:
I remember when the last of my kids finished college. What a relief!

You are a lucky to be married to an understanding woman. ;)

i think they do, but my favorite pedals when i had any were the old boss chorus, deluxe memory man, and the electric mistress. thought about adding a wah once but never did. never put them on a board of any kind. this was before the new millennial pedal revival.
All great pedals. Do you still have them?

My "pedal board" is a Pod Go that I use at church. Became a matter of necessity. With a glitchy back and knees my days of hauling an amp, cab and pedal board back and forth was getting old. Now it all fits in a suitcase!
Aint nothing wrong with that! Roadies R Us is still on strike...gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

I don't know that it's my dream, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup
On the front end: Polytune 3 -->Klon KTR-->Prince of Tone-->Mesa V-twin
In the effects loop: Moog MF chorus-->Vapor Trail delay-->Mesa EQ pedal
Board is just wood I put together, nothing fancy.

I think the next pedal I want to try is a Blessed Mother OD.
Sounds like a nice little set up. Nice touch with the KTR and Moog!

I am a big fan of tweak a knob, change the sound. I don’t enjoy scrolling through endless menus, having to hook my computer up to program a pedal to get it just to my liking.
So i built such a board, and I enjoy its capabilities, albeit a bit limited compared to what some boards can do. But it works just fine for me.

ABF3-F73-B-3-B05-41-E2-B5-A2-095-D0-B65410-A.jpg

Keeley Compressor+>Polytune tuner>Subnup mini octave>Morning Glory stage 1 drive with added switch for more gain>OCD stage 2 drive>VPJR volume pedal>Simplifier amp-in-a-pedal (front of preamp).
In the effects loop send of the Simplifier, as follows: Julianna stereo chorus>El Capistan tape delay (added favorite footswitch)>Flint reverb/tremolo (added favorite footswitch)> Simplifier effects loop return>FOH stereo and a mono powered monitor. No amp needed, but with the Simplifier, I could plug into just an amp with it (has a Thru output if I want to run it that way too).

I am a big fan of tweak a knob, change the sound. I don’t enjoy scrolling through endless menus, having to hook my computer up to program a pedal to get it just to my liking.
So i built such a board, and I enjoy its capabilities, albeit a bit limited compared to what some boards can do. But it works just fine for me.

Keeley Compressor+>Polytune tuner>Subnup mini octave>Morning Glory stage 1 drive with added switch for more gain>OCD stage 2 drive>VPJR volume pedal>Simplifier amp-in-a-pedal (front of preamp).
In the effects loop send of the Simplifier, as follows: Julianna stereo chorus>El Capistan tape delay (added favorite footswitch)>Flint reverb/tremolo (added favorite footswitch)> Simplifier effects loop return>FOH stereo and a mono powered monitor. No amp needed, but with the Simplifier, I could plug into just an amp with it (has a Thru output if I want to run it that way too).
Nice rig brother!

Aint nothing wrong with that! Roadies R Us is still on strike...gotta do what ya gotta do. :)
Exactly! I played bass at church today using my Pod Go. After the 2nd service one of our keyboard players who was in the congregation came up to me and said "what are you doing different from the other bass players here? I could hear every single note you played and the tone was amazing!" Told him the other guys (who are great players) just plug their basses directly into a direct box where I'm using my Pod Go. He said "they have got to start using something like that."

The end justifies the means!

Not a train of physical pedals, but they're virtual in my Headrush Gigboard. I am more than happy for what it offers and sound.

I have a Mission Engineering Expression Pedal that can be assigned as a volume or expression controller. I also have a pair of lighter Headrush FRFR cabs instead of heavy cabs and amps. I don't gig anymore, so I might sell the second cab because playing through my monitors are good enough at home. The Gigboard has lots of amp and cab simulations, but I already have settled on a few that I actually need. I don't need a pedal board either because of it being compact enough.

Not a train of physical pedals, but they're virtual in my Headrush Gigboard. I am more than happy for what it offers and sound.

I have a Mission Engineering Expression Pedal that can be assigned as a volume or expression controller. I also have a pair of lighter Headrush FRFR cabs instead of heavy cabs and amps. I don't gig anymore, so I might sell the second cab because playing through my monitors are good enough at home. The Gigboard has lots of amp and cab simulations, but I already have settled on a few that I actually need. I don't need a pedal board either because of it being compact enough.
Many good memories with the old HeadRush! Happy to see yours is fulfilling your needs.

I love pedalboard threads. Sure, I enjoy talking about mine, but seems to me that pedalboards are the most individualistic parts of rigs we guitar players seem to put together!

I mean, you have an amp, and unless it's modded, it's THAT amp. Same with the guitar. Oh maybe you changed the pickups of something. But pedalboards? Seems very few are alike!

Jesus' pedalboard, below, is another really lovely one. I've had a few of these pedals, but there are others I know not too much about.

I'm interested in finding out the reasoning behind the choices, what you like about them, and what you'd change, what might go, what might stay, etc.

So i built such a board, and I enjoy its capabilities, albeit a bit limited compared to what some boards can do. But it works just fine for me. I find other folks' pedalboards endlessly fascinating.

Hfie6FQ.jpg

My current board is actually pretty close to my dream board. The most important thing is my custom switcher. When I change channels (amp is an Archon), I also change between pedal loops. The Tumnus is only in front of the lead channel. The Page and Slo are only in front of the clean channel.

The switcher has a tuner out. The Boost button is really a volume knob at the start of the effects loop. I can use it to turn down a little for rhythm, and then bypass the volume knob for a lead boost. The Switcher has jacks on the side to connect to the amp input, effects loop, and footswitch. normally the effects loop is a giant ground loop; I've lifted one of the ground connections to eliminate that. Additionally, if I only plug into the Return jack and not the Output jack, then it automatically puts the effects loop right after the other pedals and outputs the whole signal chain out the Return jack.

My dream board just swaps some of these pedals for different ones:
Unit67 instead of the Xotic SP
Tremonti wah instead of Bad Horsie 2.
Maybe a different phaser or different modulation altogether? I'd run the racks just to see if the grass is greener, even though I really like the Phase 24.
Maybe a boss looper with a drum track to make playing alone even less lonely? I do like the LED ring on the RC-1.

My pedal order does not follow pedal placement very well.
Guitar -> Sp Compressor -> Wah -> Phase 24 -> Switcher, which goes out to either clean loop or lead loop
Clean loop: Page -> Slo -> Switcher -> amp
Lead loop: Tumnus -> Switcher -> amp
Switcher then goes out to amp
The amp effects loop also plugs into the switcher. The effects loop is Flashback -> Looper

I have all the parts to make new squareplug cables for this board. Haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll tidy things up a bunch when I do.

Last edited:
Jesus' pedalboard, below, is another really lovely one. I've had a few of these pedals, but there are others I know not too much about.
I'm interested in finding out the reasoning behind the choices, what you like about them, and what you'd change, what might go, what might stay, etc.
Well, as for reasoning, first let’s talk about pedal order.
Compressor is first. I use compression as an always on pedal. I use it mainly for sustain, and very subtle squish, so it is barely noticeable. If you put a compressor after drive pedals, they tend to change the character of the overdrive section. Using it before seems to me like the best option. Then the octave pedal needs to be before drive pedals as well to maintain proper tracking. When I use it, I keep the low and high octaves very light in the mix, and the Dry signal at 100%. I just use it when I want to thicken up a solo a bit, or clean arpeggiation. The key here is to not have the octaves too strong in the mix. Next up are the drive pedals. The JHS Morning Glory is a Bluesbreaker style OD pedal. Very transparent, but with the added footswitch, there are 2 gain levels. I use the Fulltone OCD is a heavier overdrive, bordering distortion. More of a hard clipping OD. I really enjoy stacking the overdrives. With this combo, I can go from clean, mild OD, heavier gain, and full out rock ‘n roll goodness.
Next up is the volume pedal. I use it for clean, delayed swells. I can get some really cool pad-like synth tones if I get the delay and reverb mix levels high enough when doing swells. Next is the Walrus Audio Julianna chorus. What can I say, I am a child of the 80’s, so chorus is my choice for modulation. I run it stereo out. Then comes the El Capistan. Man, let me tell you, you can get just about any type of delay you want out of this little box. Top notch for sure. Then comes the Flint. I really love the plate reverb, but also use the 80’s hall setting when I want more of a thicker modulated reverb. And the tremolo section is amazing. 3 distinctively different trem settings. Great for tone shaping.
Last up is the Simplifier. I use it as my amp direct out. It has an onboard effects loop with XLR and 1/4” stereo outputs. Very realistic analog pedal that works well. Not programming of IR’s, just turn a knob or flick a switch to shape your tone.
Really enjoying this combination, so for now it all stays.
Well, there you have it.

Well, as for reasoning, first let’s talk about pedal order.
Compressor is first. I use compression as an always on pedal. I use it mainly for sustain, and very subtle squish, so it is barely noticeable. If you put a compressor after drive pedals, they tend to change the character of the overdrive section. Using it before seems to me like the best option. Then the octave pedal needs to be before drive pedals as well to maintain proper tracking. When I use it, I keep the low and high octaves very light in the mix, and the Dry signal at 100%. I just use it when I want to thicken up a solo a bit, or clean arpeggiation. The key here is to not have the octaves too strong in the mix. Next up are the drive pedals. The JHS Morning Glory is a Bluesbreaker style OD pedal. Very transparent, but with the added footswitch, there are 2 gain levels. I use the Fulltone OCD is a heavier overdrive, bordering distortion. More of a hard clipping OD. I really enjoy stacking the overdrives. With this combo, I can go from clean, mild OD, heavier gain, and full out rock ‘n roll goodness.
Next up is the volume pedal. I use it for clean, delayed swells. I can get some really cool pad-like synth tones if I get the delay and reverb mix levels high enough when doing swells. Next is the Walrus Audio Julianna chorus. What can I say, I am a child of the 80’s, so chorus is my choice for modulation. I run it stereo out. Then comes the El Capistan. Man, let me tell you, you can get just about any type of delay you want out of this little box. Top notch for sure. Then comes the Flint. I really love the plate reverb, but also use the 80’s hall setting when I want more of a thicker modulated reverb. And the tremolo section is amazing. 3 distinctively different trem settings. Great for tone shaping.
Last up is the Simplifier. I use it as my amp direct out. It has an onboard effects loop with XLR and 1/4” stereo outputs. Very realistic analog pedal that works well. Not programming of IR’s, just turn a knob or flick a switch to shape your tone.
Really enjoying this combination, so for now it all stays.
Well, there you have it.
Interesting! I like your reasoning, even though I do it a little differently (that's what the fun's all about, we're all different!).

I use the compressor after my boosts and overdrives, because when I use them in tandem, it's to control the amplitude of the signal the way I would using outboard compression on a console. The drawback is that you're also raising the noise floor a little, but that also happens with outboard gear and a console, and I know how to deal with it.

However, I use a compressor mainly with a squeaky clean amp simply to chop off the highest ear-splitter peaks, and even out the signal, not for sustain, or even squoosh. I get oodles of sustain from the amps (HXDA, DG30, Fillmore 50, Lone Star 100). So I set the compressor's threshold only to kick in only at the loudest peaks. Interestingly, we use the same tool in quite different ways!

I've had the Morning Glory and the OCD on my older pedalboards at the same time. They sounded great with the amps I was using then. Excellent pedals.

I love the Alexa chorus on my board. I set it for a very light, almost imperceptible swirl.

I use my volume pedal (an Xotic) outboard of my board, usually in front, but sometimes between the two H9s using the loop I/O on my board's patch bay, so I can keep, say, the delays going while shutting out the other parts of the signal.

As I said, there's an endlessly fascinating thing about pedals. It's great to talk about!

Back