Boutique pick Roundup II-confessions of a pick nerd.

I wholeheartedly recommend these picks. Tom is a great guy to deal with and the picks he makes are great. They last forever too. The tone is a little warmer than a Jazz 2.0, for example, which is a little bit more mid heavy (great picks, though), and the grip is awesome.

These are the ones I use:

https://www.winspearpicks.com/collections/products/products/stealth-shiv?variant=29014098375

Here's a solo I recorded with one of his pics (an older version of the shiv from back when he was starting out) so you have an idea of how they sound like (very gear dependent, of course, but being that this is a PRS forum and I only record with PRSi, well, yeah):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28793505/Ubiquitous Vox Solo.wav

Nice! I just ordered a sample pack last week. Have to wait until the end of March for it though.

Have you tried blue chip? I forgot if you did.
Yes, three different "loners", they play really nice and supposedly last for eternity but I expected more from their tone. It's close to turtle shell just a little brighter and I'm always going for darker. I also seem to gravitate towards the bevels of the V picks and Dragonheart rather than the left hand and right hand speed bevels of blue-chip and red bear, they seem to be a little more articulate to me.

So far I've been able to test out all these boutique picks without spending more than 10 bucks per pick,I didn't even spend the $20 for a Wegen and only tested them out at a guitar shop. Even before I went on this overpriced plectrum escapade I was playing thick picks (2-3 mm) and the blue-chip price for anything close to that thickness is 75 bucks, just not ready to go there.:oops:

I wholeheartedly recommend these picks. Tom is a great guy to deal with and the picks he makes are great. They last forever too. The tone is a little warmer than a Jazz 2.0, for example, which is a little bit more mid heavy (great picks, though), and the grip is awesome.

These are the ones I use:

https://www.winspearpicks.com/collections/products/products/stealth-shiv?variant=29014098375

Here's a solo I recorded with one of his pics (an older version of the shiv from back when he was starting out) so you have an idea of how they sound like (very gear dependent, of course, but being that this is a PRS forum and I only record with PRSi, well, yeah):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28793505/Ubiquitous Vox Solo.wav
Wow, shred O-Matic!! That's one of the things that I was very happy with on this endeavor, these better picks I've been trying, really help to play faster and more articulate. I'm eagerly awaiting my winspear picks, ordered them on the 7th and they haven't landed yet:(.

Wow, shred O-Matic!! That's one of the things that I was very happy with on this endeavor, these better picks I've been trying, really help to play faster and more articulate. I'm eagerly awaiting my winspear picks, ordered them on the 7th and they haven't landed yet:(.

He makes them in small batches to keep the quality up, so it might take a while. I think it took like a month to get mine. Totally worth it.

I love trying different picks, but in the end, I always end up staying with the same Dunlop copper picks I've been using for 20 years!

Yes, three different "loners", they play really nice and supposedly last for eternity but I expected more from their tone. It's close to turtle shell just a little brighter and I'm always going for darker. I also seem to gravitate towards the bevels of the V picks and Dragonheart rather than the left hand and right hand speed bevels of blue-chip and red bear, they seem to be a little more articulate to me.

So far I've been able to test out all these boutique picks without spending more than 10 bucks per pick,I didn't even spend the $20 for a Wegen and only tested them out at a guitar shop. Even before I went on this overpriced plectrum escapade I was playing thick picks (2-3 mm) and the blue-chip price for anything close to that thickness is 75 bucks, just not ready to go there.:oops:
I'm thinking of trying Gravity gold series to see how those are.

I don't mind spending the money on picks. Sometimes they come with a story. My Wegens are from the time he was selling them direct on Flatpick-L had to be close to 20 years ago. Same with Red Bear. The owner came up with the idea and I was an early user. One of my friends is still an official endorser of them.

Found out about Blue Chip when a late friend had one at a jam. He was extremely picky about tone and this was the first non-turtle pick he could use. He ended up giving me one. Still have it.

Years ago, everyone in the bluegrass community was using Clayton Ultex. Tried them. Good tone, but I could destroy one in a 3 hour jam session. That's what got me going on my pick quest all those years ago.

At least you're consistent and sticking with 2 companies. My choices are more mile wide and inch deep.

I might have a little bit of an obsession/problem...

I'm pretty sure I can buy a guitar with the amount of money spent on these picks....

Nice.
Which is your darkest sounding pick? (most pronounced mids & bottom)

I swear, this forum is going to leave me broke in the end! I am currently using a tortex jazz III xl .73. Just ordered a Blue Chip Jazz LG 35. Can't wait to try it.

(Would love to try one of the thin red bear big jazzers, but doubt it will happen in my lifetime.)
(Would also love to try Winspear, but the shiv may be a bit too small for me, and they are very thick!)

Yes. I am a depraved pick fanatic. I have one of those multicompartment jewelry organizers at home, nearly filled with different picks. I will snap a picture when I get a chance!

Kevin

Glad to see you're trying Winspear picks. As others have said, it's a one man operation so it takes some time. Only thing is that all his picks are all pointy, so I've asked about rounding them off, and he said he will do it. They are a bit thick, but they're geared towards fast rock/metal styles so they're great for that.

Winspear, Blue Chip and Gravity Gold are definitely my favorite. I almost have the gravity pick case filled :eek:.

If you want a darker sounding pick, try one made from Brazilian Agate. Picksandstones.com sells them they are very very nice picks.

Glad to see you're trying Winspear picks. As others have said, it's a one man operation so it takes some time. Only thing is that all his picks are all pointy, so I've asked about rounding them off, and he said he will do it. They are a bit thick, but they're geared towards fast rock/metal styles so they're great for that.

Winspear, Blue Chip and Gravity Gold are definitely my favorite. I almost have the gravity pick case filled :eek:.

If you want a darker sounding pick, try one made from Brazilian Agate. Picksandstones.com sells them they are very very nice picks.

Yea, it does take a long time, I placed my order Feb 7th and just got a shipment notice the other day, now I have to wait a couple more weeks.:mad:
I'm with you on pointy picks and prefer rounded, but this is more for my fusion shred stuff so I wanted more articulation, plus I'm good at modifying tips and I ordered the triangle so I can have a variety in one pick.;)

As for Agate?...............I'm not putting anything made of stone anywhere near my 10-top!!!!:eek:

I did get the picks I had ordered but sadly I haven't had ANY spare time to practice so no report yet.

I still don't have the 8515s in my Mccarty yet. I got those in December.

I've had a work situation arise that is keeping me very busy. No time for much of anything.

These are hardly boutique, but I have fun making them.

20170302_195801_zpshbw0y5pp.jpg

20170302_195746_zpseleyhdxj.jpg

Once I tried a bluechip I've never used another pick. Over the course of a year I moved up from .35 to .8. The theory's the thicker pick lets you get more tone (vibrates the string more) and also aids picking speed because the pick doesn't bend.

The downside of heavier/thicker picks is your more likely to drop them as the string energy is transferred back to the pick. That's why for me .8 is about the right thickness/weight.

To use a double negative I'm never sure I'm not been taken for a ride by bluechip. Still I keep going back and pulling out a new one every few months is a thrill. They are so tactile when new.

Back