Books You Can't Shut Up About

Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan. Bought this after enjoying his short story Harrison Bergeron while in high school. Questions of free will, science fiction aspects, Vonnegut’s sense of humor - it’s a favorite of mine.

For non-fiction I enjoy Hunter S. Thompson’s Rolling Stone and SI pieces.

Pier Anthony's Zanth series was always a favorite simply because of all of his deliberate puns. Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series was an escape from modern life that i could get into again.

For me, it's The Grapes Of Wrath. This book deeply influenced my world view.
Another favorite book from my youth is A Clockwork Orange. I loved the book, but hated the movie. I felt the movie completely missed the point of the book.

I got "stuck" reading Grapes of Wrath for a Social Studies book report in junior high. Didn't expect to like it but I did. One of my favorite "non-geek" books.

There aren’t many books I specifically remember reading before my 20s. It was a pretty long time ago. Long enough ago that about once a week I would take three paperbacks and a dollar to the used book store on the way home from school and buy three more books. I read just about anything.

I don’t really talk much about what I read decades ago, but here are a few I remember having an impact:
The Hobbit - this will be the first book I re-read when I start doing that
Paradise Lost - it played a role in clarifying my own thoughts on life and the universe
Catch 22 - it was the beginning of my fascination with what I think of as sideways books. Robbins and Palachuk (or some approximation to that) became favourites in that later on.

I’m an avid reader and am never between books. Some of my favorite authors:
Nelson DeMille
William Lashner
Greg Iles
Stephen King
Preston and Child
Ken Follett

Two of my all-time favorite books are The Stand and Swan Song (McCarron). They are both really dark and graphic, so you need to be in the right frame of mind. Each deals with “the end of the world; one through pandemic and the other nuclear war. Very heavy stuff and the imagery is frightening.

Im reading “Travels with Charley” (Steinbeck) again right now. The last time was 47 years ago.

Last edited:
Hmm
The Creature from Jekyll Island by Edward Griffin
And the Wolf Finally Came - The Decline and Fall of American Steel Industry by John Hoerr
The Keys of This Blood - Malachi Martin
all long in depth reads, thought provoking

IRead my first Douglas Adams at 13, still remember laughing my head off. My kids disappointingly didn't click with it, don't think its aged well....even although the Guide is what but a smart phone.

My son is as much of a geek as I am. He's never read HHGTTG, even though I bought him a copy when he graduated. I need to reread it again soon. It's been too long.

Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan. Bought this after enjoying his short story Harrison Bergeron while in high school. Questions of free will, science fiction aspects, Vonnegut’s sense of humor - it’s a favorite of mine.

Vonnegut is one of those guys I read and go, "Damn - why haven't I read more of his stuff?" Then I don't pick up another one of his books for a couple years. I have no frigging clue why - it makes no sense to me.

Vonnegut is one of those guys I read and go, "Damn - why haven't I read more of his stuff?" Then I don't pick up another one of his books for a couple years. I have no frigging clue why - it makes no sense to me.

Not to worry - I’ve read every word he wrote enough for both of us! I even found and bought a first edition of God Bless You, Mrs. Rosewater at a used bookstore.

When I was young it was all hard sci-fi stuff, like Azimov and those anthologies of 'years best' short stories.

Were I to go on and on about something, it would be the Discworld series by Sir Terry Pratchett. Wonderful characters and insightful commentary on society.

If you like scifi, there is a good series by the uk author Ian M Banks (he also wrote non scifi without the M)

Unfortunately he died young....so wider world may not have heard of him

Consider Philbeas start for scifi

The Crow Road for non scifi. Opening sentence: " It was the day my grandmother exploded"

If you like scifi, there is a good series by the uk author Ian M Banks (he also wrote non scifi without the M)

The Crow Road for non scifi. Opening sentence: " It was the day my grandmother exploded"

The Crow Road was dramatised into a series in 1996 by the BBC, starring a lot of cool Scottish actors. (Stops waving the Saltyre:oops:)

He was about 60 so he wasn't that young. I met him a week or two before the announcement about his cancer. He was lovely, signed all my books that I had of his, not just his latest one and generally took the time to engage. A shame to have lost him

I wasn't going to post because I generally don't read fiction (although that might change in retirement). One book that made a tremendous impact on the family life of this cop was "Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement" by Kevin Gilmartin. I read it as part of an FBI program and the information helped identify patterns that were unhealthy for me, and my family. My wife read it, and I gave a copy to my son when he graduated the LE academy. I've given away many, many copies to officers who worked for me since, and it may be the best $20 I invested in their future. If you know someone who is in law enforcement, this book is a gift they will not forget receiving.

Another was a study called "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. It's a treatise on the psychology of killing, and the consequences of the act on those who may be required to do so in the commission of their duties. The impacts are more wide-ranging than you might think, and as a Chief I had to deal with the crippling repercussions to officers, their families, the department, and the families and friends of the deceased. It's nothing like the media paints it, and no one walks away the same as they were the day before. I was thankful to have some of the insights in this book to understand how things that occurred in the tragedies of life losses might impact all, even those completely "uninvolved." Combined with Gilmartin's book above, it was a big help in dealing with the hardest parts of my position.

Sorry if all that was a downer for anyone. I'm reminded, at times, of how far outside the norm my life has been. Retirement has been peaceful. :)

Back