Do you think PRS makes their best pickups now or in prior years?

Revelation

It seems to be that the team at PRS have learned so much about pickups ever since they studied John Mayer's pickups and others on their analytical machines. Getting old pickups, unwinding them, having them tested and really analyzing them. Paul seems to look at pickups that he can now EQ to get the sound the wants out of them. I had not been a big fan of their pickups in the 90's and I know many that swapped them out for something else back then. In a more recent video, he talked about not needing to go single coil to get a single coil sound. We can see this in the prototype Telecaster guitar we see some people using on stage. The DGT to me sounds like a humbucker Tele already. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

What do you think, do you prefer the older pickups they had in the 80's and 90's, or the ones today?

It seems to be that the team at PRS have learned so much about pickups ever since they studied John Mayer's pickups and others on their analytical machines. Getting old pickups, unwinding them, having them tested and really analyzing them. Paul seems to look at pickups that he can now EQ to get the sound the wants out of them. I had not been a big fan of their pickups in the 90's and I know many that swapped them out for something else back then. In a more recent video, he talked about not needing to go single coil to get a single coil sound. We can see this in the prototype Telecaster guitar we see some people using on stage. The DGT to me sounds like a humbucker Tele already. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

What do you think, do you prefer the older pickups they had in the 80's and 90's, or the ones today?
They started out in the zeroes for me if it comes to good PUs. The starla (ome of their finest works), 57/08 (although I am still on the fence regarding the neck).

The older stuff: not my cup of tea: all the older PUs in my PRSi ended up in a drawer. The 58/15s in my HBii SE eats them for breakfast too!

Best is always a term I shy away from, I'm quite fond of the 57/08's for warm tone and the 58/15LT 's for cleans . They compare with the best PAF's I've played and installed , I installed a dragon II neck in an artists instrument and loved it

Last edited:
I wrote a long post, then condensed it to “no preference for me.” As long as I start from scratch setting up the amp, all PRS pickups I have sound good. I could gig or record with any of them.

The worst test for a pickup or guitar is to plug it into a rig tweaked for another pickup or guitar, and adjust from there. Your first impression is always going to be “it doesn’t sound as good,” and that impression can stay with you. There are differences, for sure, but when I’ve taken the time to tweak the rig for them, they’ve all had great tones to offer. I like both old and new ones.

I wrote a long post, then condensed it to “no preference for me.” As long as I start from scratch setting up the amp, all PRS pickups I have sound good. I could gig or record with any of them.

The worst test for a pickup or guitar is to plug it into a rig tweaked for another pickup or guitar, and adjust from there. Your first impression is always going to be “it doesn’t sound as good,” and that impression can stay with you. There are differences, for sure, but when I’ve taken the time to tweak the rig for them, they’ve all had great tones to offer. I like both old and new ones.
I, too, was going to write a lengthy post until I read this. I’m lazy. Count me in the same camp as Rick.

I like the 5708 and 5815LT more than the original McCarty pups.
I like the JM pups more than the 305 pups.
So it appears I like the new ones more.
That said I'd love to try some original Dragons.
PRS has a less than perfect history with pickups. But it's all in the past! (Get it?)

The 57-08, Dragon I and Core Silver Sky pickups are my favorites.

Big mistake discontinuing the Dragon I set in favor of the Dragon II set. What were they thinking?

I do remember when the McCartys were first released and the guitar shop near me in Denver had one and put it right one sale.

I was so excited to try it. But once I plugged it in the sound didn't so it for me. Sounded weak and flat.

I was all ready to buy it if i loved it but I didn't.

Wish it had 57/08's in it rather than whatever was in it then.

I probably would have bought it.

Last edited:
For me, the best years have been 2008-present. I was always tempted to change the pickups in my earlier PRS'.

That's probably been informed by my playing style. I like a vintage-voiced guitar, and set my amps up for a more vintage tone as well.

I'm not alone; plenty of well-known players have always chosen to play vintage guitars. I just prefer new ones that sound like old ones.

For me, the best years have been 2008-present. I was always tempted to change the pickups in my earlier PRS'.

That's probably been informed by my playing style. I like a vintage-voiced guitar, and set my amps up for a more vintage tone as well.

I'm not alone; plenty of well-known players have always chosen to play vintage guitars. I just prefer new ones that sound like old ones.
Me too.

New ones that sound old ones.

The only PRS pickups I have had in my older guitars that I didn't really like were the Dragon II pickups in my CU22. It has been so long that I am not sure if I would still feel the same way about those today. I had the PTC put 57/08s in it in 2009.

I guess I didn't like the 58/15 LT pickups in my 594. The only thing I had an issue with was the lower output level of them. The tone was fine.

I also swapped the pickups out of my SAS but that was just to experiment with the in between tones that a Strat gets. I put some Unbuckers in it to see if I could achieve something with it. I would say that it worked but I moved on from that to 57/08s in there now. I recently acquired a set of DGT pickups that I am considering putting in there now. The way those split might sound really good on that guitar. I remember the 57/08s that are in it now came out of some special run guitar PRS did. They are shiny with gold screws, not brushed. So both of these sets of pickups are ones you can only get by buying a guitar with them in it stock.

I am not sure if I would say I like the newer pickups better. The ones I like came out at least 15 years ago. If that is more recent, then yes, I like the more recent pickups better. I liked the ones they were making for the older single cuts as well as the HFS/VB set. I remember the Dragon II pickups causing my OD tones to sound grainy. I would like to try them again to see how I feel about them today but I am not going to put them back in the guitar to find out. I just remember that when I got the guitar back from the PTC, I liked it a ton more.

Seems they've improved over the years, but the Dragon I was terrific. I did not care for the Dragon II in my CE22 or early McCarty, but when we installed it in my cousin's Les Paul Standard it sounded really nice. Go figure.

If A Pickup Sounds Good (To My Liking) In That Specific Guitar I Am Happy. If Not, I Am Not Happy. Just Because Somebody Likes Or Dislikes A Certain Pickup Doesn't Mean It Can't Work For Them In The Right Guitar.

I Do Feel As Time Has Gone On, PRS Pickups As A Whole Have Improved Overall.

BUT

Can I Get A Covered Tremonti Bridge Pickup For The Win Alex?

I have too little experience with PRS, trying only HFS/VB, 59/09, 85/15TCI and Tremonti for more than just a moment, but the 85/15s are a massive part of a reason why my Custom is my best guitar yet. It's such a perfectly balanced set to play anything. This set has no weak points and may as well be my all-time favourite set I ever had in any guitar.

Yep. Once the 57/08 came on the scene I could get the sound and feel out of PRS guitars. Prior to that, I just moved the guitars along because I don't want to buy a $2500+ guitar and HAVE to make changes for it sound "right" for my playing style.

I have too little experience with PRS, trying only HFS/VB, 59/09, 85/15TCI and Tremonti for more than just a moment, but the 85/15s are a massive part of a reason why my Custom is my best guitar yet. It's such a perfectly balanced set to play anything. This set has no weak points and may as well be my all-time favourite set I ever had in any guitar.
The 85/15s in my CU24 sound great, too. They work really well with the instrument's other qualities. They're also vintage-y enough for my taste, but not so vintage that the thinner body on the CU24 works against it.

They strike a perfect balance in that guitar.

Terrific pickups, if you ask me.

Back