Books You Can't Shut Up About

^this^

My old training Inspector (ex-traffic cop) told us many years ago, it’s not the dead ones you have to worry about!

He was not wrong!

Well, this goes into different periods of my life. As an elementary school student, I was the 6th grader that re-read WWII books non-stop. Iwo Jima, Midway, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Salerno, Anzio, Guadalcanal, and Tarawa are the books that I can recall reading many times between 5th and 6th grade. I was into history from a young age, and something about that generation spoke to me. Plus, my dad served in North Africa and Italy during WWII

Beyond that, the Hobbit and L.O.T.R. were huge, for me. Then I read Terry Brooks' "Sword of Shannara." I didn't think I'd ever read anything like the L.O.T.R. again, but Brooks hit that mark, for me. I have all of his Shanarra books, many of which I have not read yet. I have them all lined up in reading order for "some day". I'll even re-read the ones I have already read.

Coming up to current, I would say the book(s) that have left the biggest mark on me was Ambrose's "Band of Brothers". I read that two years before the HBO mini-series. That book touched something inside of me. After seeing the mini-series, even more so. I believe I have read every book that has come since then from the veterans of the B.o.B. I can't recommend anything to do with Dick Winters enough.

Currently, I am still reading lots of history books (WWII and Civil War, mostly), and I really enjoy memoirs, auto-biographies, and biographies. I'll go a little over board on some of them. For example, I recently finished Ian Gilan's auto-biography and had to make sure that I downloaded any Deep Purple I didn't have, as well as his solo albums. Others don't touch me that way.

Well, this goes into different periods of my life. As an elementary school student, I was the 6th grader that re-read WWII books non-stop. Iwo Jima, Midway, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Salerno, Anzio, Guadalcanal, and Tarawa are the books that I can recall reading many times between 5th and 6th grade. I was into history from a young age, and something about that generation spoke to me. Plus, my dad served in North Africa and Italy during WWII

Beyond that, the Hobbit and L.O.T.R. were huge, for me. Then I read Terry Brooks' "Sword of Shannara." I didn't think I'd ever read anything like the L.O.T.R. again, but Brooks hit that mark, for me. I have all of his Shanarra books, many of which I have not read yet. I have them all lined up in reading order for "some day". I'll even re-read the ones I have already read.

Coming up to current, I would say the book(s) that have left the biggest mark on me was Ambrose's "Band of Brothers". I read that two years before the HBO mini-series. That book touched something inside of me. After seeing the mini-series, even more so. I believe I have read every book that has come since then from the veterans of the B.o.B. I can't recommend anything to do with Dick Winters enough.

Currently, I am still reading lots of history books (WWII and Civil War, mostly), and I really enjoy memoirs, auto-biographies, and biographies. I'll go a little over board on some of them. For example, I recently finished Ian Gilan's auto-biography and had to make sure that I downloaded any Deep Purple I didn't have, as well as his solo albums. Others don't touch me that way.
Are you sure were not cousins. I read the same WW2 stuff growing up. 30 seconds over Tokyo was my absolute favorite. Used it as source material for a history report in elementary school.

I wasn't going to post because I generally don't read fiction (although that might change in retirement).

Nobody said it had to be fiction. I read, and have read, a ton of non-fiction, and Carl Sagan’s books have been very influential for me.

moorcock was mentioned and leiber was strictly for d&d goons — how about jk o’toole and ‘zen of motorcycle maintenance’?

(moorcock rules; see ‘an alien heat’.)

I hear all your posts in a Stewie from family guy accent & I love it ;)

I read a lot in general, but when I was a kid (pre 20) favorites would have been HHGTTG, the I Robot series (Asimov), Hobbit/LOTR, stuff like that.

Just as I was about to turn 20, I discovered A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole). That's a keeper!

It was a few years until Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy and Hunter S. Thompson and Jim Harrison grabbed hold of me. Those are favorites.

@bodia have you read the Long Road to the Deep North (Richard Flanagan)? Not really a WWII book but a story set around a POW involved in building the Burma Railroad. It's a beautiful book.

I wasn't going to post because I generally don't read fiction (although that might change in retirement). One book that made a tremendous impact on the family life of this cop was "Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement" by Kevin Gilmartin. I read it as part of an FBI program and the information helped identify patterns that were unhealthy for me, and my family. My wife read it, and I gave a copy to my son when he graduated the LE academy. I've given away many, many copies to officers who worked for me since, and it may be the best $20 I invested in their future. If you know someone who is in law enforcement, this book is a gift they will not forget receiving.

Another was a study called "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. It's a treatise on the psychology of killing, and the consequences of the act on those who may be required to do so in the commission of their duties. The impacts are more wide-ranging than you might think, and as a Chief I had to deal with the crippling repercussions to officers, their families, the department, and the families and friends of the deceased. It's nothing like the media paints it, and no one walks away the same as they were the day before. I was thankful to have some of the insights in this book to understand how things that occurred in the tragedies of life losses might impact all, even those completely "uninvolved." Combined with Gilmartin's book above, it was a big help in dealing with the hardest parts of my position.

Sorry if all that was a downer for anyone. I'm reminded, at times, of how far outside the norm my life has been. Retirement has been peaceful. :)

Not a downer at all. Rather, a fascinating insight. Thanks for sharing.

Back