Bernie Marsden Issues

AZGiant

Great guitar and sounds amazing, but man keeping it in tune is a bear. I am about to install SE locking tuners on it, and was curious if anyone else experiences the same issue with standard SE tuners? I have a few SEs and none are quite as bad as this, and the issue seems to stay on the G and B string. Maybe a neck issue?

Any inputs would be great.

Thanks
Axe

I wouldn’t even consider the neck ( if you mean relief). Tuning issues can be tough to chase. Nut would be first thing I would look at. Are the slots cut correctly including relief towards the headstock. Next would be saddles or if it’s a wrap around (sorry just can’t remember what bridge they use) see if the strings have dug a slot in the bridge/ saddle. A nail file can clean a bridge up. Nut slot files (Stew Mac) can dress the nut. Next up would be the actual tuner and how you string them. Different peeps do it different ways. Are the strings new? I guess I would look at the action like you stated neck relief but that would be last for me as I use low low action so I’ve always had good luck with intonation and tuning.

I changed the tuners on my Bernie to locking before I really played it much, so I know that doesn't help. I would do the switch, and get the nut checked/changed.

Great guitar and sounds amazing, but man keeping it in tune is a bear. I am about to install SE locking tuners on it, and was curious if anyone else experiences the same issue with standard SE tuners? I have a few SEs and none are quite as bad as this, and the issue seems to stay on the G and B string. Maybe a neck issue?

Thanks
Axe
I'd bet money on the nut...

I wouldn’t even consider the neck ( if you mean relief). Tuning issues can be tough to chase. Nut would be first thing I would look at. Are the slots cut correctly including relief towards the headstock. Next would be saddles or if it’s a wrap around (sorry just can’t remember what bridge they use) see if the strings have dug a slot in the bridge/ saddle. A nail file can clean a bridge up. Nut slot files (Stew Mac) can dress the nut. Next up would be the actual tuner and how you string them. Different peeps do it different ways. Are the strings new? I guess I would look at the action like you stated neck relief but that would be last for me as I use low low action so I’ve always had good luck with intonation and tuning.
Thanks man good advice

I changed the tuners on my Bernie to locking before I really played it much, so I know that doesn't help. I would do the switch, and get the nut checked/changed.
Thanks man I am going to look at the nut today and work through it.

Thanks
Axe
Took Bernie to my guy. He mentioned probably the nut, and thinks a bone nut would be a lot better. He has seen a lot of issues with PRS SE nuts, and I think he is on the right track.

Fisrst off congrats on the Bernie, they very are fantastic guitars. I'm glad you got the nut sorted out, that is probably the weakest point of any of the SE range past and present. If my SE has a black nut then I go with the core version however like you I went with bone on my Bernie's (usually aged). Hope you play it in good health for many years to come.

my little Bernie family (2x original 1000 piece run & a re-topped with gold vinyl 2014
52704881295_2909412c3d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Fisrst off congrats on the Bernie, they very are fantastic guitars. I'm glad you got the nut sorted out, that is probably the weakest point of any of the SE range past and present. If my SE has a black nut then I go with the core version however like you I went with bone on my Bernie's (usually aged). Hope you play it in good health for many years to come.

my little Bernie family (2x original 1000 piece run & a re-topped with gold vinyl 2014
Very nice man!!!!!

Full is the gold a guitar skin? Looks great like that!

Full is the gold a guitar skin? Looks great like that!

Yeah it's from a place called designdivil.
https://designdivil.com though I got mine through their eBay store https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175578240636?var=474922973731.
They have some fantastic designs and are fairly easy to apply as long as you go slow and steady.

If you get the larger sized solid colours like the Gold or Silver then the supplied roll is actually big enough to apply to 3 standard body guitars- giving you at least one spare should you mess up.

Also check out this site

These good really good but I've not got round to using one yet

Last edited:
Back