SE 594 tuners can't stay in tune

Most of the time I leave SE tuners right where they are, as they're fine. It's these vintage style ones on this particular guitar that have been a problem.

At any rate, the Klusons arrived and all my problems went away. Since there's no tremolo, I didn't even bother with locking ones, just drop-in replacement vintage 3-per-side style for $70 direct from the manufacturer. I really love this guitar and I can live with putting different tuners on it; even at the total cost of nearly $1000 it's still half the price (or less) of an S2 but as far as I can tell every bit as good (compared to my S2 Thinline 594, which I really do love as well). :)
Looks like the Kluson site has a lot of choices. Which one did you select for the 594 SE model (nickel coating)? I have the McCarty 594 SE.

Thanks.

Hi!

I just got an SE 594. It's a right nice rock 'n roll machine and sounds great. Unfortunately, it stays in tune about as well as a Les Paul. :D

The tuning pegs on the SE 594 tuners are SO LOOSE that I think it's just being unwound by the tension on the string. It's frequently going out of tune with brand new strings and several (as in 3-4 complete) winds around the post. I'm confident that it's not slipping.

On other SE guitars, the tuning keys can be tightened down and they're much more stiff to move. I'd like to do teh same thing on the 594 SE tuners, but I can't figure out how. I think they're the same tuners as the Zack Myers / Bernie Marsden and very similar to the SE Silver Sky aside from the plastic tips. So this applies to a bunch of tuners - how do I tighten these things down?

Thanks!

It looks your guitar has the same crappy tuners than my Zach Myers. I still can’t be why PRS use such a bad piece of hardware.

I replaced them with Graph Tech Ratio PRN-4424-N0 vintage tuners that are great, however I had to do a bit of drilling as the holes are like 1-2mm more separated. After that, all good.

hey man,i was just wondering if these were direct drop in and with the push in bushings,not the threaded ones,(Did you just use the original PRS se bushings?) i just need to know if it all lines up perfectly with no mods before i order thanks!

hey man,i was just wondering if these were direct drop in and with the push in bushings,not the threaded ones,(Did you just use the original PRS se bushings?) i just need to know if it all lines up perfectly with no mods before i order thanks!
Here's the model you need.
https://www.kluson.com/kluson-3-per...unt-non-collared-tuning-machines-details.html

Yes, use the existing bushing. You risk damaging the finish removing the stock bushing and the O.D. of the Kluson bushing is too small anyway.

Back