SE 594 tuners can't stay in tune

derFunk

Taller than he sounds
Hi!

I just got an SE 594. It's a right nice rock 'n roll machine and sounds great. Unfortunately, it stays in tune about as well as a Les Paul. :D

The tuning pegs on the SE 594 tuners are SO LOOSE that I think it's just being unwound by the tension on the string. It's frequently going out of tune with brand new strings and several (as in 3-4 complete) winds around the post. I'm confident that it's not slipping.

On other SE guitars, the tuning keys can be tightened down and they're much more stiff to move. I'd like to do teh same thing on the 594 SE tuners, but I can't figure out how. I think they're the same tuners as the Zack Myers / Bernie Marsden and very similar to the SE Silver Sky aside from the plastic tips. So this applies to a bunch of tuners - how do I tighten these things down?

Thanks!

I would contact PRS customer support. There is no way to tighten that type of tuner without disassembling the tuner itself. That is a bit of a drastic thing to have to do on a new guitar. They may send you a new set of tuners or have you return the guitar for a different one.

OK I'm definitely going to have to do that. The A string pulls out of tune really badly.

I do have the original non-locking tuners from my S2 594 Thinline that I'm going to try installing. Assuming they fit, I can send PRS back the loose tuners and they can send me back others without having to be out of a guitar.

OK I'm definitely going to have to do that. The A string pulls out of tune really badly.

I do have the original non-locking tuners from my S2 594 Thinline that I'm going to try installing. Assuming they fit, I can send PRS back the loose tuners and they can send me back others without having to be out of a guitar.

Doesn't work that way - you need to send the 'entire' guitar back so that they can check, have all the 'information' they may need (like who checked these in Indonesia and then at PRS, serial numbers in case its a 'batch' issue etc and can install them themselves to ensure its all working as expected before sending it out. That information could be very useful to identify issues and address them - whether its considering your supplier, maybe requires some staff to be 'trained' better and/or see if it is a 'trend' or an isolated occurence.

A 'warranty' protects you from any Manufacturing 'mistakes' and/or parts failing under normal/expected use. It does not protect you from damaging parts you have removed/replaced yourself and if its 'failed, they expect you to send the whole guitar back so they can 'repair' it, recheck it, document it and make sure the 'whole' instrument is working 'properly'.

As you bought from a 'retailer', not PRS, you should contact them to sort out any 'warranty' issues. PRS would reimburse them for any parts/labour under warranty and whilst I know its more cost/hassle returning a 'whole' guitar, you have a warranty on the 'instrument' as a whole so the 'whole' needs to be returned IF you want to fix it under warranty! It maybe quicker, easier for you to just swap tuners but you can also impact on the Warranty by doing so.

Well if Zzounds wants me to send it back I'm hosed because this one is now out of stock. Hmm...

Yeah, Zzounds wants me to send the whole thing back to exchange. They'll get more of this one in March sometime, and I got no indication that they could get the right tuners and just repair it from the phone rep.

So I went on Reverb and bought some Kluson locking tuners with 6mm posts. I'm concerned that a replacement would have loose tuners too, so I just went for something different. I love how it sounds, how it feels, and how it looks. If I can keep it in tune, I'll be thrilled, even if it costs a little more.

That is sweet looking. I've dealt with Zzounds sounds before, they are legit but don't deal with repairs only exchanges.

For finish issues they'll offer to kick back money sometimes. They got me on the PRS needle and I've been an addict since.

On another note (Damn that axe looks sweet) I always replace with locking tuners. That could be a path for you as then the stock tuners would not matter and you will for sure get some killer tuners. Phase III or Vintage Locking will drop right in.

(non-locking) SE tuners are pretty horrible in general. Probably the worst thing about SEs. I too would replace them with another brand rather than have the guitar ”repaired”.

Back