All PRS Bass Guitars DISCONTINUED?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
You know how this goes, I heard something, I'm not sure if it is true, but never the less, I find myself reacting to it as though it were true. Considering the idea that it may be true that all PRS Bass Guitars (core and SE alike) are being discontinued, not only am I in a state of shock over this but I also find myself scrambling to buy a second Gary Grainger 5 string bass. (I like to have backups of everything I own and I found one that I like. The bad part is that I have no idea how I would pay for it.)

Maybe it is something as simple as PRS only discontinuing all of their present bass guitar models but will instead be coming out with all new bass guitar models? Totally speculating here. I only say that because I cannot imagine a guitar maker not building bass guitars. But I also remember that PRSh has always said, that if people don't buy them, they will stop building them.

Anyway, here's the Grainer 5 string I have now. Do I NEED another one? No. Do I WANT another one... you know in case something happens to the first one? YES.

PRS-2019grainger5-a.jpg

I dunno why PRS would stop building basses unless, as you noted, they simply aren't selling like they used to.

We have (my wife has) 5 PRS basses in the house, one of each generation including both Kestrel and Kingfisher (non-maple capped). My wife usually plays a different (non-PRS) brand bass out live because I got it for her on a lark for Christmas a couple of years ago and she finds it has a good "live" tone. But the PRSi get used for practice or if there is a certain tone we want in the studio.

Maybe PRS just needs to shake up their line-up - a short-scale semi-hollow, or something in the S2 line?

As much as I like the GG-4 we have, it is "a lot of stuff" (at a premium price) for many players who are used to the simplicity (and lower cost) of a Fender Precision or Jazz. The Kestrel and Kingfisher sort-of addressed those niches, but maybe there is room for a US-made bass for less coin than the GG line demands.

Or maybe the agreement with GG himself has expired and at least one party is not looking to renew it.

I really wanted to get a Kestrel when I was bass shopping, but decided I needed a 5 string for working in different (lower) tunings. It’s mostly for demos and recreational studio work, so a GG 5 wasn’t on the menu. Still a bummer though, Kestrel played great.

Wow. All their bass guitars have the disclaimer below listed on the website:

“Note: This model is no longer available for order. Due to our backlog, it will still be shipping through 2023 and may be available from our Authorized Dealer base.”

Sounds like it is true... at least for every single model they currently offer anyway.

Perhaps their bass guitar line will return one day as limited runs? Many PRS guitar models have been discontinued over the years only to return again later as the market shifts back and forth. Like the Studio model which is currently in production. That one definitely came back from the dead after having been discontinued a number of years ago.

Wow. All their bass guitars have the disclaimer below listed on the website:

“Note: This model is no longer available for order. Due to our backlog, it will still be shipping through 2023 and may be available from our Authorized Dealer base.”
Oooh, good catch. I just checked that they were still listed, didn't look any closer at the textual description.

Could also be they’re re-tooling some new versions?

The SE SAS and CE came outta nowhere, so ya never know.
That's sorta what I was thinking.

The Bass-4/5 and the EB-4/5 were discontinued a long tie ago (obviously) but are still out there on the used market, so mayhap I'll grab a GG-5 eventually just for my own amusement. The Bass-5 "we" have is nice, but I just want the GG-5 for all the stuff it does. And it will complement the GG-4 nicely.

I would think that they will temporarily discontinue production because of massive lead times in the USA factory and more dedicated production to the new SE guitars at the Asia factory. It only makes sense. They will sell far more SE SAS and CE than any bass they’ve ever made. In my narrow view, the SE basses aren’t that popular and the Grainger is priced out of most player’s budgets. Maybe they’ll bring something new out after production is more under control but they’ve added a pile of guitars that are popular to the SE line.

I would think that they will temporarily discontinue production because of massive lead times in the USA factory and more dedicated production to the new SE guitars at the Asia factory. It only makes sense. They will sell far more SE SAS and CE than any bass they’ve ever made. In my narrow view, the SE basses aren’t that popular and the Grainger is priced out of most player’s budgets. Maybe they’ll bring something new out after production is more under control but they’ve added a pile of guitars that are popular to the SE line.

That does make sense too.

Really hope they bring these back at some point.

I would like to see PRS focusing on bass guitars as well and getting the marketing department to work on this project as well.
I do find it interesting however that so many players still go for Fender J and P bass guitars today more than any other brand. Even the lovely and talented Tal Wilkenfeld seems to be playing Fenders and not the Sadowsky bass that she played with Jeff Beck back in the day.
With that being said, there are not too many bass guitar heros these days. Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten are two bass players that come to mind. John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, and Chris Squire used to be popular back in the day, but not anymore. Even Dave Ellefson is not talked about much. these days.

On Bass Magazine, currently they are talking about Sting, Jack Bruce and the Doobie Brothers bass guitar player. Rock music is dying out, and there is not a strong type of music that focuses on the bass these days besides jazz.

Last edited:
Back