Plain Jane (or James) Guitars?

While I love a nice flame or quilt, there’s something dead sexy about opaque black. IMO anyway…
So much so that I ordered my PS MEV in satin black. Pretty sure the dealer thought I was crazy.
oWGtkTT.jpg

Last edited:
I don't dislike a solid color guitar. The top on my 594 is blue. It is a one off. The rest of the guitar is natural. I think it is sexy as can be. The look of it is what made me buy it. I do have a few other guitars that are solid colors. However, my preference is to see the wood through the finish. I love flame and quilt but I also like seeing the wood grain on my ash body guitars as well as others I have.

I'm sucker for the fancier wood curl, but when I'm looking, I tell myself it'd be great to forget all that and get a white, black or gold top model. I love the way they look!

Then I always say WTF, and get the curly maple with a translucent finish.

I'm a slattern for the dang translucent finishes, but I really would love to have an opaque finish model.

Anyone else prefer plain, or opaque guitars? I’m finding myself to be that way. I mean I love looking at the beautiful flame and quilted tops and such. They just don’t fit my mental image of what I should play. I have a flamey McCarty burst Santana III, not 10 top flamey, maybe 7 or 8 top flamey. It has scratched the “pretty wood” itch (pauses, turns head to look straight into the camera and raises one eyebrow). My S2 studio is all black. Honestly on looks alone, I way prefer it over the Santana. I’d like something maybe translucent with a nice grain under it, but more like an onion peel swamp ash or something.

Anyway, just checking if I’m alone in this fine community of quilts and flames?
I don't know if it's just you. I really like plain wood grain with a transparent-ish satin finish. I'm not a fan of the really fancy quilts in any case.

My favorite finishes in the current PRS lineup are the black, white, and McCarty Tobacco Burst S2 satin nitro finishes. I also miss the old metallic finishes like Platinum and Copper, and I’ll always love gloss black or a gold top. I can appreciate a nice burst with a tasteful, not over-the-top flame top, but the crazy tops just aren’t my thing. I’m also not a fan of bird inlays, I’d much rather have simple dots. So yeah, I agree with the OP. I’ll take subtle and tasteful over ultra-fancy every time.

Anyone else prefer plain, or opaque guitars? I’m finding myself to be that way. I mean I love looking at the beautiful flame and quilted tops and such. They just don’t fit my mental image of what I should play.

Anyway, just checking if I’m alone in this fine community of quilts and flames?

You're not alone. I find myself gravitating towards solids and some sort of wood finish more and more..I like the flames and quilts, but the others are more my style. The PRS violin carve is extra sexy in solid colors and pull me in..

Back