Plain Jane (or James) Guitars?

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
Anyone else prefer plain, or opaque guitars? I’m finding myself to be that way. I mean I love looking at the beautiful flame and quilted tops and such. They just don’t fit my mental image of what I should play. I have a flamey McCarty burst Santana III, not 10 top flamey, maybe 7 or 8 top flamey. It has scratched the “pretty wood” itch (pauses, turns head to look straight into the camera and raises one eyebrow). My S2 studio is all black. Honestly on looks alone, I way prefer it over the Santana. I’d like something maybe translucent with a nice grain under it, but more like an onion peel swamp ash or something.

Anyway, just checking if I’m alone in this fine community of quilts and flames?

I’m… actually a fan. Flames and quilts are a thing, and fer sure, I have/had some but they’re kinda boring now some 35 years later.

The majority of my PRS are opaque. Goldtops, sparkles, solid colors, luxury fashion prints, and single genus wood guitars thrill me more than than flame tops.

@sergiodeblanc , thanks for the slide show, you have some great looking guitars! The black, white and natural Santana shaped ones, the double cut black SSH, and the sparkly semi hollow with the Bigsby are my faves. And oddly the two fashion skinned ones. Cool stuff, and just more to my sensibilities than beautiful flames and quilts. I’ll always look at the beautiful wood (breaks 4th wall, stares mischievously at the camera). I’ll probably just choose to own other finishes.

MK
W9tNA48.jpeg

I have a mix. If I am going to have a figured maple top, I want it to look good. I have a Fire Red Smokeburst 10 top that still gets me when I look at it. A while back a friend was playing it and I realized that I don’t really enjoy how it looks when I am playing it. I have a Cobalt Smokeburst on the way. Hopefully it looks as good in person as the picture.
But I really like my Frost Blue Metallic. I want a Gold Top. I would love a Candy Apple Red top with everything else natural. My non PRS are also a mix. In general, I think it is easier to find solid color guitars I like. It is really easy to have an ugly stain job or wood that shouldn’t have been stained in the first place.

I would love a Candy Apple Red top with everything else natural. My non PRS are also a mix. In general, I think it is easier to find solid color guitars I like. It is really easy to have an ugly stain job or wood that shouldn’t have been stained in the first place.
Yes, yes and yes!

I love quilted, flamey, special tops, but when you have those, it is difficult for the eyes to see the contours of the body. When you put the solid finishes on them (especially gloss), those sexy curves jump out at you and I appreciate the shape of the guitar at that point. My EBMM Stingray bass, my strat, my Eko, I guess all of my guitars (13) except my PRSi are plane Janes, but none of them look as good as a solid color PRS ;~))

And when it comes to book matching on the fancy tops, if it is not =>90% match, I don't want it. Makes me uncomfortable looking at those beautiful tops when they don't match quite a bit at the center join point!

Last edited:
Back