513s

Hey Mart
i shielded my IRW backplate with adhesive tin foil and the level
of noise still the same as before and mine as you know came with
the new wiring, but I'm working on grounding the house electrical system properly
to eliminate the noise as much as possible.

Buzz noise is to eliminated by copper shield foil. Coatings impact is low. As you see in my pictures they grounded my guitar in the bridge pickup compartment.

jkLXmPwt5GU8kwQpPH40emyVTWJJ-5TP0iS2zFFCXUE=w1723-h969-no

Taking the oppurtnity I breast-fed my curiosity in lifting the shilding foil in my bridge cavity.
The MODCAT sticker and a few tags by the involved PRS craftsmen have been discovered.

The bridge pair of 513s have been mounted reversed which means that the inner coil is active in single coil mode.
To get more snap and bite PTC told me it´s no problem in flipping it 180°.
But I´m not really sure which coil is active.
Actually I was convinced that in single coil mode only the outer coils were active. I wasn´t able to figure it out by knocking on the PUs with a small screwdriver.

Being Sherlock 513 while Dancing Frog is Lord 513 (May the force be with you!) I did some research by interviewing PRS employees.

I was wondering if my reversed mounted treble pickups are a consequence of the modification. No, PRS ships their 513s in general with reversed treble pickups to the customer (trader). Turning it around 180° the single coil sound would be slightly tighter.
My source - Technical Manager at PRS Europe - likes the sound in standard position better. Like it do. Therefore my own approach in playing my 513 with flipped treble pickups lasted not very long. Back to basics.
That said the single coil sound at treble position (standard mounted treble pickups) is delivered by furthest from the bridge coil.
Focusing on the bass pickups in singlecoil mode it´s the nearest to the neck coil which is active.

Makes sense. I wouldn't call myself Lord 513. I am more of a collector of information, an intelligence analyst, if you will.

But - speaking for all of us 513 afinados - you're the most experienced owner by the fact possesing the largest number of DIFFERENT 513s outside the Factory.
We all do Intel in different ways, merging Information, everybody will join benefits from a clear Image.
Is Master Afinado 513 a more applicable description? Anyways.
I still have to re-adjust my pickups to status quo (before unscrewing them). I took the heights, reinstalled the pickups to their certain heights but in detail I need little more effort to get MY 513 back. I didn't expect that.

You ventured bravely into 513's labyrinthine territory
forte benefit of all of us aficionados so allow me to bestow
on you the title: "513 Explorer" :top:

As far as you all know I did a crazy thing by dismounting my 513 pups for two reasons: (A) What signs of PRS employees will I find in the cavities? (B) How do the 513 pups look under the surface?
Before I took a screwdriver I used a caliper and measured the heights for reinstall the pickups.
I explored the things I wanted to know. And I reintalled and adjusted the pickups.
But my 513 didn´t sound like the way I was used to.
I was slightly irritated.
I checked the recommedations of an expert in a guitar magazine, I called my Austrian for good advice, I looked at PRS Customers Support Center and called them by e-mail, I had correspondence with the PRS Technical Manager of PRS Europe.
In the end I selected Nick´s (PRS Tech Mngr) figures.
I remained the guitar with that setting for a few weeks, but wasn´t overall satisfied.
My daughter cracked her headphones´ cable. Therefore I called a friend who makes his living as a guitar and amp doc (By the way: His workshop is wall to wall to the lucky guy, who won Billy Gibbons as a new customer. Touring Germany they met Billy at one of the gigs, presented one of the Helliver guitars to him, Billy played and purchased it. And in the end he ordered the same type of guitar with custom order specs (Pinestripes and so on). Work in progress...)).
Dave fixed the cable. And I asked him if he would check the pups heights of my 513.
I played it linked to his Orange. He switched through all modes and positions and statet, that the volume of bass the treble side and bass, middle and treble pups is erratic.
By the blink of an eye the adjusted the heights to an overall balanced volume.
Yeah, MY guitar´s sound came back home.

I swear: I´ll never ever touch my 513 pups with a screwdriver playing Sherlock 513 or 513 Explorer! A few things must remain in professional or skilled hands. (My thirst to explore miracles is satisfied! :biggrin:).

Here's what is written in the bridge pickup cavity of my BRW 513.
P7081461_zpsa305900c.jpg

It never sold to GC, it was sold as new in Europe. No idea what the special order was...

It might be the colour. Maybe Dancing Frog has any clue about this certain detail.
513 Rosewood have been the first production models. 10 Top was standard.
But see those cable tree :)
And the foam rubber bars for reducing possible vibrations. My guitar came without.

The MODCAT purrs:

FTM2FTRFIBT_OR_NCCCF

Model: 513
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Original Solid Birds (pre-2008)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Orange
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 513 Humbucker or 305 Single
Middle Pickup: 513 or 305 Single Coil
Bass Pickup: 513 Humbucker or 305 Single
Electronics: 513

Did you post a total picture of your 513 already?
Maybe it´s because of the birds, instead of - expected 513 inlays (index F) - the MODCAT decoder says your fretboard carries original solid birds (pre 2008) (Index B).

I swear: I´ll never ever touch my 513 pups with a screwdriver playing Sherlock 513 or 513 Explorer! A few things must remain in professional or skilled hands. (My thirst to explore miracles is satisfied! :biggrin:).

Amen, amen, & amen. Every time I get the itch to do some tweaking to any of my guitars pickups, I have to remind myself what can happen, given my limited technical abilities.

@CVS

@Jazzedout: I found THE thread (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...-513-Rosewood-)).
The MODCAT might be wrong with that birds. In my eyes these are "ordinary" 513 birds.
But - and I ask Dancing Frog for advice and comparison to his 513 Rosewoods´ MODCAT-Code - if the decoder says truth in all other cases, maybe the neck material is different to his models.
Guess Cites compliance. US residents are allowed to buy Brazzy, outside the USA these type of rosewood requires a bunch of papers to pass customs.
So maybe your neck is "only" East IRW...

Nice riddle...

Last edited:
I mentioned that, before seeing more pictures of his guitar.
You confirmed my suggestion.
But the riddle goes on, what is the special order.

@CVS

@Jazzedout: I found THE thread (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...-513-Rosewood-)).
The MODCAT might be wrong with that birds. In my eyes these are "ordinary" 513 birds.
But - and I ask Dancing Frog for advice and comparison to his 513 Rosewoods´ MODCAT-Code - if the decoder says truth in all other cases, maybe the neck material is different to his models.
Guess Cites compliance. US residents are allowed to buy Brazzy, outside the USA these type of rosewood requires a bunch of papers to pass customs.
So maybe your neck is "only" East IRW...

Nice riddle...

The MODCAT shows that guitar as:

Model: 513
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Original Solid Birds (pre-2008)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Orange
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 513 Humbucker or 305 Single
Middle Pickup: 513 or 305 Single Coil
Bass Pickup: 513 Humbucker or 305 Single
Electronics: 513

There is an error in the MODCAT on the guitar itself. It is shown as:
FTM2FTRFI8T_OR_NCCCF
but it should be:
FTM2FTRFIFT_OR_NCCCF

The inlay code should be "F", not "8".

The decoder is working properly, the code on the guitar is wrong.

All I can think of is that they may have special ordered regular birds and that is shown on the MODCAT in the treble cavity, but for some reason they got 513 birds in the build...

And I hate to be a killjoy, but it is doubtful that that guitar is Brazilian....

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back