Detailed video time: That PS SC245 with One piece quilt and cocobolo goodness

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
You may have seen the NGD a few weeks ago.
This guitar is of course no stranger to this forum, having been owned previously by MAPete.
And so it was a likely candidate for a proper video.

Some thoughts
- I really wish there were more cocobolo necks around. I think I prefer it to Braz rosewood of the MEs and 513s and somehow I feel like they make the SC245 necks bigger which is lovely (though technically it is just a pattern).
- I am also realizing I prefer clean sounds from rosewood (and rosewood family) necks for humbucker guitars. But for distortion, nothing beats the thump and mid bump of mahogany.
- I am half convinced this exact guitar and finish is the ancestor of the Raven's Blood Graveyard II finish. It is so similar including the slight tinges of magenta and almost purple around the red, particularly on the headstock. The Graveyard II is packed away temporarily so I will do a comparison shoot shortly.
-Finally I wish it had a trem. Really wish it had a trem. That is the entire source of the dilemma as I look to consolidate my collection

Last edited:
Another great video, that yet again brings back many memories for me in my journey. (I now pretty much watch all of your new videos as soon as they come out!)

I totally agree with you that that is one of the most beautiful PRS Private Stocks ever. I have owned maybe 30 or so Private Stocks over the years, and I hold that one in the top 5 of the most mind-blowing as far as the looks and the specialness when you play it. What a work of of art! Glad to see it again here. That top is unreal, and that finish is amazing and a great match for the top and the guitar.

I am planning to spec a Private Stock later this year, and I actually am thinking of using this one's color scheme as the inspiration of what I want to do with the spec for my new one. ;) (Except I plan to do a Black Doghair Back and Neck.)

Also, I agree with the notion that a 24 Fret Singlecut 245 being a very rare and unique build. I remember that I came to the same conclusion, that it makes the Neck Pickup less Bassy and more usuable.

I wish I had more time with this guitar. If I recall correctly, I didn't keep it that long, only because of unique circumstances - I did really adore it. I think I bought it in January of 2016, and in February of 2016 the DC 594 came out, and I became smitten with that. I was at the factory in February 2016 to spec a Private Stock, and I played Paul's Charcoal Burst DC 594 Prototype (before it was even announced), and I was blown away. I ordered a DC 594 Private Stock that week (maybe two?) and then got one of the Feb 2016 Private Stock Guitar of the Month DC 594's a week or two later, and that started my whole 594 Phase. So I think I sold this one (or traded it back to Willcutt Guitars) to fund the 594 madness that followed that February 2016 trip...

From the PSF thread!

I came across these in my PRS Pics folder today. (Which has a LOT of photos in it, LOL!)

h4EJdz5.jpg

RZMvmkv.jpg

For RW necks, my own experience is that it really comes down to the specific neck blank. I’ve tried Madagascar, Indian and Brazilian. Braz is by far my favorite, but I did briefly own one that was a bit of a clunker. Madagascar was awesome, reminded me of in-between Braz and classic Hog. Indian was ok, but lacked some of that sweetness on the highs compared to the others.

I tend toward Rock tones (vs metal) and I love 59/09s with Braz, but my Madagascar RW neck had 57/08s and they were fabulous with it. I did try 57/08s with a Braz neck and I was really disappointed with it.

I‘ve heard good things from those with Honduran RW but I haven’t been able to try one yet.

A 24 fret SCT would be great :)

Another great video, that yet again brings back many memories for me in my journey. (I now pretty much watch all of your new videos as soon as they come out!)

I totally agree with you that that is one of the most beautiful PRS Private Stocks ever. I have owned maybe 30 or so Private Stocks over the years, and I hold that one in the top 5 of the most mind-blowing as far as the looks and the specialness when you play it. What a work of of art! Glad to see it again here. That top is unreal, and that finish is amazing and a great match for the top and the guitar.

I am planning to spec a Private Stock later this year, and I actually am thinking of using this one's color scheme as the inspiration of what I want to do with the spec for my new one. ;) (Except I plan to do a Black Doghair Back and Neck.)

Also, I agree with the notion that a 24 Fret Singlecut 245 being a very rare and unique build. I remember that I came to the same conclusion, that it makes the Neck Pickup less Bassy and more usuable.

I wish I had more time with this guitar. If I recall correctly, I didn't keep it that long, only because of unique circumstances - I did really adore it. I think I bought it in January of 2016, and in February of 2016 the DC 594 came out, and I became smitten with that. I was at the factory in February 2016 to spec a Private Stock, and I played Paul's Charcoal Burst DC 594 Prototype (before it was even announced), and I was blown away. I ordered a DC 594 Private Stock that week (maybe two?) and then got one of the Feb 2016 Private Stock Guitar of the Month DC 594's a week or two later, and that started my whole 594 Phase. So I think I sold this one (or traded it back to Willcutt Guitars) to fund the 594 madness that followed that February 2016 trip...
I always appreciate the insights and history. And those photos. Thank you so much for digging it up. I really feel I will kick myself for selling this one, since that Cocobolo neck is perhaps my favourite neck on any guitar. Ah maybe I should just shift countries so I can keep all my guitars

For RW necks, my own experience is that it really comes down to the specific neck blank. I’ve tried Madagascar, Indian and Brazilian. Braz is by far my favorite, but I did briefly own one that was a bit of a clunker. Madagascar was awesome, reminded me of in-between Braz and classic Hog. Indian was ok, but lacked some of that sweetness on the highs compared to the others.

I tend toward Rock tones (vs metal) and I love 59/09s with Braz, but my Madagascar RW neck had 57/08s and they were fabulous with it. I did try 57/08s with a Braz neck and I was really disappointed with it.

I‘ve heard good things from those with Honduran RW but I haven’t been able to try one yet.

A 24 fret SCT would be great :)
A 24 fret SCT core model . I have a solution for PRS. Just make a singlecut version of the Santana (it already exists in Private Stock). And we are done

Back