Finally a proper video on the Private Stock Sig Ltd run. Guess I had to do it myself

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So folks, I've had this guitar for years and I consider it a fairly pioneering model (given it is the ancestor in a way of the Pauls , 408, 2408, MEV, 509 (switching layout only) as well as great lineage (the Sorcerer's apprentice in lineage).

I always wished someone had made a proper video explaining this model, but I guess it had to be me, ironically when I am planning to part ways (in the great guitar cull of 2024 or 'I bought a bunch of Singlecut trems and ran out of space and I like my wife very much, much more than the guiatrs').

A track with the guitar in the mix. Some tone samples. Lots of history. even more visuals. As always, would love to hear more from the folks here who know way more than me

I do really love the Quilt and Finish on this one. But got to stay focussed :)

Great video, thanks for yet another video that brings back a lot memories for me! ;)

I didn't own any of the original Sig Limited Private Stocks, but I did own two of the production 408's. I really liked them. I played my Eriza Verde 408 out at a special gig in 2012 (which BrianC and yankeebulldog attended with their spouses to show me their support - which was awesome!).

GDY0ai9.jpg

lYwZ0x5.jpg

I didn't keep those very long, as I was very much in my DC 245 Ted phase at that time - see Sergio's favorite blue guitar in the background, that was also one of my favorite guitars at the time, for playing out. At that time I was also amassing a huge collection of the Willcutt Guitars DC and SC 245 Teds, but the 408 pickups and switching made enough of an impression on me that I built a Private Stock DC 245 with the 408 pickups and switches. With my other DC and SC 245 Private Stocks that I built I did the Santana Headstock like the Ted's. For this one, I did the regular PRS headstock for a more modern look, which was a better for the Aquamarine finish and the one piece quilt top.

This one also had an Obeche/Basswood body and weighed about 6 pounds even, which was great for my bad back. With the 408 pickups, I thought it sounded great, especially in the band context.

gomLmiX.jpg

WkPaVsa.jpg

I gigged that guitar as my primary gigging guitar for a couple of years, in more gigs than any other guitar I have owned. I used virtually all of the 8 sounds the guitar has in the pickup configurations. It was great for the 3 Hendrix songs we played, and I used the Singlecoil tones for various songs, a John Mayer Song, a Foo Fighters song, etc. I did feel the Bridge Pickup in Humbucker mode was a little more modern than a DC 245 Ted with 5909's, the Teds were better for the Classic Rock "Classic Singlecut" tones. But that compromise was to me worth it for the flexibility, and not having a volume drop in the split tones. (The biggest challenge was remembering at the end of a song what to change on the switching for the new song! ;))

jtjMIhd.jpg

During one trip back from San Francisco (which the pic above was from), Paul and I were on the same flight, and he thought it was awesome that I was traveling for a gig with my Private Stock.

Private Stock Sig 408 traveling buddies!

eht4g9z.jpg

This was in June of 2013 - you can see by then Paul had gone to the narrower Bridge Humbucker. If my memory is correct, the PS Sig Limited Run was launched at NAMM in 2011, the Core version of the Sig Limiteds at NAMM of 2012, and then the Paul's Guitar with the narrower bridge Humbucker in 2013.

This DC 245 Sig Private Stock took some wear over its gigging duty. I had to check it one time on a flight on a regional jet, and someone stepped on the case and the bridge pickup ring cracked. There was a giant boot print on the case, LOL. I sent it to the PRS PTC to get repaired. I think I also had some dings and scratches in the guitar fixed at that time.

UaMWRYM.jpg

Because I never kept it in a case, the Aquamarine finish did fade a lot. I had PRS refinish it in Ultraviolet, and that turned out great.

6evrbYX.jpg

R72fpOU.jpg

But by the time I received it back from the Refin, I had built 2 Private Stock stocks that I was pretty enamored with, a DC 245 Ted and a 2014 Private Stock Singlecut McCarty 245, both in Citrus Glow, so I sold the DC 245 Sig. And I wasn't playing out as much at that point.

pRGF2f9.jpg

qsIFlzm.jpg

But I do remember the 408 DC 245 very fondly as my favorite and most tonally flexible gigging guitar. (I did gig that Citrus Glow DC 245 Ted once in 2015, and I found I missed the 408 tonal flexibility.) I guess there is no perfect answer though, other than gigging multiple guitars. I did like the classic tones of the DC 245 Teds with a PAF Bridge Pickup. In my band most gigs were traveling gigs, so I usually only had one guitar.

As I posted on the Ted thread - I also prefer the Stoptail over the two piece bridge, on a Doublecut PRS. But I think the two piece is great on the Singlecuts. (Per your comments on that in the video.)

I am enjoying my new Custom 2408 with the Paul's guitar pickups!

YUHxsKP.jpg

I do wonder though how it would be with the bigger 408 pickup in the bridge. ryder1260 here does have a 408 - we will definitely have to get together and do an A/B on those two...

Last edited:
Also of note with regard to the Signature 408 guitars and Artists - Simon McBride has been playing his with Deep Purple on tour.

It is a Semi-Hollow Singlecut Trem 408.

He is fantastic player, and I have been enjoying watching videos of him shredding on those classic Deep Purple songs with PRS guitars. He does justice to those songs, that's for sure!

He also says here that his 408 guitar was his primary guitar for his solo album from 2022, and that is has been his primary PRS guitar.

https://www.prsguitarseurope.com/2022/06/artist-feature-simon-mcbride/

I will have to check that out!

Great video, thanks for yet another video that brings back a lot memories for me! ;)

I didn't own any of the original Sig Limited Private Stocks, but I did own two of the production 408's. I really liked them. I played my Eriza Verde 408 out at a special gig in 2012 (which BrianC and yankeebulldog attended with their spouses to show me their support - which was awesome!).

GDY0ai9.jpg

lYwZ0x5.jpg

I didn't keep those very long, as I was very much in my DC 245 Ted phase at that time - see Sergio's favorite blue guitar in the background, that was also one of my favorite guitars at the time, for playing out. At that time I was also amassing a huge collection of the Willcutt Guitars DC and SC 245 Teds, but the 408 pickups and switching made enough of an impression on me that I built a Private Stock DC 245 with the 408 pickups and switches. With my other DC and SC 245 Private Stocks that I built I did the Santana Headstock like the Ted's. For this one, I did the regular PRS headstock for a more modern look, which was a better for the Aquamarine finish and the one piece quilt top.

This one also had an Obeche/Basswood body and weighed about 6 pounds even, which was great for my bad back. With the 408 pickups, I thought it sounded great, especially in the band context.

gomLmiX.jpg

WkPaVsa.jpg

I gigged that guitar as my primary gigging guitar for a couple of years, in more gigs than any other guitar I have owned. I used virtually all of the 8 sounds the guitar has in the pickup configurations. It was great for the 3 Hendrix songs we played, and I used the Singlecoil tones for various songs, a John Mayer Song, a Foo Fighters song, etc. I did feel the Bridge Pickup in Humbucker mode was a little more modern than a DC 245 Ted with 5909's, the Teds were better for the Classic Rock "Classic Singlecut" tones. But that compromise was to me worth it for the flexibility, and not having a volume drop in the split tones. (The biggest challenge was remembering at the end of a song what to change on the switching for the new song! ;))

jtjMIhd.jpg

During one trip back from San Francisco (which the pic above was from), Paul and I were on the same flight, and he thought it was awesome that I was traveling for a gig with my Private Stock.

eht4g9z.jpg

This was in June of 2013 - you can see by then Paul had gone to the narrower Bridge Humbucker. If my memory is correct, the PS Sig Limited Run was launched at NAMM in 2011, the Core version of the Sig Limiteds at NAMM of 2012, and then the Paul's Guitar with the narrower bridge Humbucker in 2013.

This DC 245 Sig Private Stock took some wear over its gigging duty. I had to check it one time on a flight on a regional jet, and someone stepped on the case and the bridge pickup ring cracked. There was a giant boot print on the case, LOL. I sent it to the PRS PTC to get repaired. I think I also had some dings and scratches in the guitar fixed at that time.

UaMWRYM.jpg

Because I never kept it in a case, the Aquamarine finish did fade a lot. I has PRS refinish it in Ultraviolet, and that turned out great.

6evrbYX.jpg

R72fpOU.jpg

But by the time I received it back from the Refin, I had built 2 Private Stock stocks that I was pretty enamored with, a DC 245 Ted and a 2014 Private Stock Singlecut McCarty 245, both in Citrus Glow, so I sold the DC 245 Sig. And I wasn't playing out as much at that point.

pRGF2f9.jpg

qsIFlzm.jpg

But I do remember the 408 DC 245 very fondly as my favorite and most tonally flexible gigging guitar. (I did gig that Citrus Glow DC 245 Ted once in 2015, and I found I missed the 408 tonal flexibility.) I guess there is no perfect answer though, other than gigging multiple guitars. I did like the classic tones of the DC 245 Teds with a PAF Bridge Pickup. In my band most gigs were traveling gigs, so I usually only had one guitar.

As I posted on the Ted thread - I also prefer the Stoptail over the two piece bridge, on a Doublecut PRS. But I think the two piece is great on the Singlecuts. (Per your comments on that in the video.)

YUHxsKP.jpg

I do wonder though how it would be with the bigger 408 pickup in the bridge. ryder1260 here does have a 408 - we will definitely have to get together and do an A/B on those two...
Wow there is such some incredibleness on that post that I don't know where to begin.
The original 408s. The Private Stock building. Gigging the Private Stock (which I also do btw. I may have the only Graveyard II that has been gigged) Running into Paul with two Private Stock 408s together.
I really think there is book material here in all of your posts.
Plenty of books have been written about the Bursts. I think PRS guitars deserves a shout sooner rather than later

So folks, I've had this guitar for years and I consider it a fairly pioneering model (given it is the ancestor in a way of the Pauls , 408, 2408, MEV, 509 (switching layout only) as well as great lineage (the Sorcerer's apprentice in lineage).

I always wished someone had made a proper video explaining this model, but I guess it had to be me, ironically when I am planning to part ways (in the great guitar cull of 2024 or 'I bought a bunch of Singlecut trems and ran out of space and I like my wife very much, much more than the guiatrs').

A track with the guitar in the mix. Some tone samples. Lots of history. even more visuals. As always, would love to hear more from the folks here who know way more than me

Thanks for such a fantastic comprehensive video!! Well done once again :)

GDY0ai9.jpg

lYwZ0x5.jpg

gomLmiX.jpg

WkPaVsa.jpg

jtjMIhd.jpg

eht4g9z.jpg

UaMWRYM.jpg

Because I never kept it in a case, the Aquamarine finish did fade a lot. I had PRS refinish it in Ultraviolet, and that turned out great.

6evrbYX.jpg

R72fpOU.jpg

pRGF2f9.jpg

qsIFlzm.jpg

YUHxsKP.jpg

Thanks for sharing that reply! Best of luck with the Paul’s 24-08 it’s so on my radar since I love the TCI pups. Enjoy

There was also a limited non-PS, Sig Limited run, before the 408 was introduced. It had the same sinker neck but a V12 finish instead of the nitro. I had one and loved it.

I 100% agree that the neck wood mattered to the tone, and made for a wonderful sounding guitar. I also find that the Peruvian mahogany on two of my PS guitars sounds different from the mahogany used on the others. I think people underestimate the importance of the neck.

Currently I have one of the 2016 '20th Anniversary of Private Stock; limited run of 60, bought from dealer stock so I had a good idea of how it sounded before pulling the trigger.

It also has the narrow Paul's pickups, but also has a Narrowfield middle pickup. It's a gorgeous sounding guitar, with a Pervian mahogany neck combined with a warm sounding Madagascar rosewood fretboard. Though I have other PRS' that I love dearly, I reach for that one when I want the most beautiful sounding track, as opposed to something more raw, or more traditional sounding.

The wood matters for sure.

I'll disagree a little regarding PS v Core quality. Yes, they're both very high quality. But I feel the additional hand work and time spent with the PS guitars in terms of how playable they are, and how absolutely sweet they feel in the hand.

I also agree that in general you get very resonant woods; my PS models sound even better than my Core models have - to me - and I absolutely LOVE the Core models, but there is a perceptible difference. It's also true that some PS models might not be as resonant as others. After all, most people are more interested in how the wood looks than how it sounds tapped when they select wood for PS. That's a lot less important to me, but nothing wrong with being into the beauty of the thing either.

Finally, the nitro has a positive effect on tone. I find it more vintage sounding for whatever reason. I had vintage Gibsons and still have one (a 1965), and there's a certain tone you find with nitro guitars that is hard to describe, but it's there. It's not just the feel or the subtly different look, both of which I agree with you about. I remember hearing the first DGT when it came out, and even unplugged I remarked that there was something about the tone that gave me a serious vintage Gibson vibe.

Anyway, once again I enjoyed your video Utkarsh! Keep 'em coming, these are always interesting and fun to watch!

Last edited:
There was also a limited non-PS, Sig Limited run, before the 408 was introduced. It had the same sinker neck but a V12 finish instead of the nitro. I had one and loved it.

I 100% agree that the neck wood mattered to the tone, and made for a wonderful sounding guitar. I also find that the Peruvian mahogany on two of my PS guitars sounds different from the mahogany used on the others. I think people underestimate the importance of the neck.

Currently I have one of the 2016 '20th Anniversary of Private Stock; limited run of 60, bought from dealer stock so I had a good idea of how it sounded before pulling the trigger.

It also has the narrow Paul's pickups, but also has a Narrowfield middle pickup. It's a gorgeous sounding guitar, with a Pervian mahogany neck combined with a warm sounding Madagascar rosewood fretboard. Though I have other PRS' that I love dearly, I reach for that one when I want the most beautiful sounding track, as opposed to something more raw, or more traditional sounding.

The wood matters for sure.

I'll disagree a little regarding PS v Core quality. Yes, they're both very high quality. But I feel the additional hand work and time spent with the PS guitars in terms of how playable they are, and how absolutely sweet they feel in the hand.

I also agree that in general you get very resonant woods; my PS models sound even better than my Core models have - to me - and I absolutely LOVE the Core models, but there is a perceptible difference. It's also true that some PS models might not be as resonant as others. After all, most people are more interested in how the wood looks than how it sounds tapped when they select wood for PS. That's a lot less important to me, but nothing wrong with being into the beauty of the thing either.

Finally, the nitro has a positive effect on tone. I find it more vintage sounding for whatever reason. I had vintage Gibsons and still have one (a 1965), and there's a certain tone you find with nitro guitars that is hard to describe, but it's there. It's not just the feel or the subtly different look, both of which I agree with you about. I remember hearing the first DGT when it came out, and even unplugged I remarked that there was something about the tone that gave me a serious vintage Gibson vibe.

Anyway, once again I enjoyed your video Utkarsh! Keep 'em coming, these are always interesting and fun to watch!
Appreciate all the wisdom. Again, I am fairly new to the PRS world (I guess 9 years is not too shabby) but I appreciate all the input and the feedback. On reflection, yes I would agree PRS Private Stock Quality is a smidge better, if mainly due to the beauty and quality of the woods. And nitro, I 100% agree.
The 20th Anniversary PS is one I kick myself for not buying, not once but twice. However I will definitely need to sell a few guitars before I think of shifting any into my house otherwise I will be shifting out

Appreciate all the wisdom. Again, I am fairly new to the PRS world (I guess 9 years is not too shabby) but I appreciate all the input and the feedback. On reflection, yes I would agree PRS Private Stock Quality is a smidge better, if mainly due to the beauty and quality of the woods. And nitro, I 100% agree.
The 20th Anniversary PS is one I kick myself for not buying, not once but twice. However I will definitely need to sell a few guitars before I think of shifting any into my house otherwise I will be shifting out
Your videos remind me that we're all on a voyage of discovery, so it's a lot of fun to see someone delighted to dig into and listen to the unique characteristics of an instrument; it's clear that you put a lot of thought into it. That's way more important to me than memorizing the PRS history book, because really it's about the individual guitar,

So I like the vids - they remind me of listening to one of my session players shoot the breeze about a guitar he or she brings into my studio. It's fun!

I've owned a lot of PRS guitars since being in the music production/composing biz over the past 33 years, but never more than a handful at a time - I guess you could call me a serial collector! I can only concentrate on a few instruments, plus the studio has other needs that scream for attention and resources.

I've found all of my guitars fungible, except my private stocks. For some reason, I can't seem to part with them. Since turnabout is fair play, I'll talk about mine for a bit; it'll be brief because I've only got five guitars.

I figured you might dig hearing about them:

The 20th PS Anniversary guitar that I mentioned in another post is gorgeous sounding. The tone is clear and open, and even played acoustically it's loud. Rings like a bell. I've recorded a lot of commercials with this guitar, in all styles. It seems to fit in any track.

My son, who's a producer in LA with gold record credits, and plays/tours with The Academy Is and 30 Seconds to Mars (plus his own band Partybaby) is into guitars, has a bunch of vintage models, and is a Fender endorser. When he played this guitar for the first time, he said, "OMG, this is a GREAT guitar." Coming from him, that's remarkable, because he's a Strat and Tele guy.

As mentioned, it's got a unique sound, even for a PRS, because the top is slightly thinner and the mahogany back is slightly thicker, and then there are the Paul's 408s and a Narrowfield 57/08.

The back is African ribbon mahogany, the neck is Peruvian, and the fretboard is Madagascar rosewood, that gives it a more buttery sound than Brazilian and different from Indian rosewood. In fact, my 3 PS electrics all have this type of fretboard. The saddles are Gen. III but the saddles lock.

I bought this from dealer stock. I wanted to hear it first and not take a chance with a special order. PRS made 60 of them. They were only produced in two finishes, this Northern Lights and an orange one I forgot the name of.

Here's a shot of it:

DR3O7Yg.jpg

Next up is the guitar I've called my #1 for a long time. It's a PS Artist Relations McCarty Singlecut from the PS run from 2014. I have no idea how many were made. I'd guess not that many?

Tim Pierce has one of them, and plays it often on his channel. My dealer spotted it at the factory, and Paul said he could buy it, so he grabbed it. He cut a video of it for me so I could hear it before buying and I was hooked on the tone.

I'd say it sounds a lot like a great Les Paul, but with a wider top to bottom frequency response, and I seem to be able to do more with it than I can with an LP. I'd say it's very warm and clear, but has a good bite. The pickups are 57/08, and like the others I have, the back is African ribbon mahogany, Peruvian neck, Madagascar rosewood fretboard.

On this one, the inlays are mammoth ivory, which, I dunno, looks like Corian to me, so probably not a big deal, but inlays aren't something I care much about. Pic:

9jbLbz1.jpg

This is quite simply the sweetest sounding, most resonant Custom 24 I've ever played, and I've had several long termers; it's part of the 2015 30th Anniversary PS run. I think they made 60 or 80 of these. It sustains forever and a day. I wasn't looking to buy a PS; I wanted to buy a Core CU24. I asked my dealer to record a clip of the guitar vs a Core model I was looking at, and that was it. The tone of this PS was clearly in a league of its own. I couldn't get the tone out of my head. I slept on my decision for a day and realized I'd kick myself if I didn't buy it. So I bought it.

Interesting features are the 3 way toggle, the tone control pulls up as a Sweet Switch. The body carve, neck heel and headstock shape are supposed to be like the original 'pre-factory' handmade ones that Paul made back in the day, but honestly, I simply cannot tell the difference in either the carve or the headstock comparing it to my other PRS models. The neck carve is Pattern Regular, which I prefer to the thinner one that's now all you can get on a CU24.

So I can't tell you why the carve is a thing, but...it's a thing. I don't really care for quilt guitars that much; I like traditional fiddleback flame more, but the guitar was just so good sounding I couldn't say no.

The pickups are 85/15s. They sound great to me, and perfect for this guitar. As with the others, the back is African ribbon mahogany, Peruvian neck, Madagascar rosewood fretboard:

81aB0Cr.jpg

Next up is a PS acoustic I special ordered back in 2013. I had a cocobolo Tonare Grand artist model - sounded wonderful - but got it into my head that I needed a maple one because I like the sound of a good J200.

It's a cannon. The guitar is super-resonant, not as thin or bright as you might expect with a maple back, neck and sides/ebony fretboard. It's far more balanced than a J200, and much louder.

I wasn't there to pick out the woods, I trusted my dealer, who's a luthier himself. He was at Experience, and somehow grabbed Paul Smith himself, and they tapped the woods for tone. It's pretty unusual for Paul to do that, and from the sound of the thing, his input clearly shows.

The Adirondack Spruce top was being held for Tony McManus - it had his name written in pencil - but Paul OK'd it for this build. The birds and inlays are what was stock for the Core model. I didn't really want fancy stuff, I wanted to be able to pull it out for a session with other players and not attract attention. So I initially ordered it without a stain to look more like a J185 or J200, but the PS folks felt like that was too ordinary, so I relented. This finish is called Smokey Blonde.

The idea that it wouldn't be flashy was a failed concept, because it attracts attention anyway. Oh well! I've compared it to my friend's Olson that's worth a fortune, and I think it's every bit as wonderful. Different, but just as good an instrument.

I haven't looked at another acoustic guitar since I got it in 2013. I haven't even played one in a store when just looking around. It's that good. I don't need anything else in an acoustic.

3mVz6f7.jpg

Finally, I got this DGT just this past fall. It's a Wood Library version that was part of Jack Gretz' run. I didn't realize how good these DGTs are, even though I'd played them in stores. I'm sure you'd agree that living with a guitar is what truly gives you the opportunity to get to know what a guitar can or can't do. This one does a lot, and there isn't much it doesn't do well!

The back is African mahogany, the fretboard is Brazilian rosewood. The tone is as you'd expect: it has a lot of snap, notes fly off the fretboard, and it sustains very well. It's brighter and more articulate than a lot of McCarty models I've had.

I heard this one in Jack's unboxing video when it hit his store, and thought it sounded the business. I had been ready to buy an Anderson Strat, but when I heard this I realized I didn't need to. I'm not really a Strat guy, this does what I'd use a Strat for, though of course a Strat is still different (but I don't much care). It does other things I do more often, can even get close to a Tele twang (though again, still a bit different). Most importantly, it does PRS! Beyond that, I love the pickups, the neck, the fretwork and even the .011 strings.

KDPJPqq.jpg

Last edited:
Back