513s

Actually, it's the way it always been. Some improvements follow lessons learned from other models, and some follow supply. For example, when the DGT came out, 513's started to show up with the coatings removed from the string contact points on the bridges and the machines like the DGT. Tuners have been pretty much following the rest of fleet.

I think the uncoated tuners were introduced first in the ME I and then gradually moved to the rest of the line up...

According to the 513s I checked the tuners are not the "problem".
Meanwhile I was able to compare 15 513s of the production year 2011.) Between S/N 11 17 34 51 and 11 17 52 44 PRS implemented Phase III to 513.
My guitar has been assembled at the end of August (11 17 89 25).

The nut is the interesting part. I found a very early 2011 513 with the new PRS nut, but two 513s have bern assembled with the 513 nut (a compensated nut) later, and not subsequent.

Well, PRS isn't always very linear when phasing things out. After they decided to stop manufacturing the nut, there were still stocks remaining to go through. There were also stashes different places like the store, someone's desk, or storage somewhere as a result of the move from the old factory building to the new during the first decade of the 21st century. Stuff got lost, so you really don't know when its going to pop up. But when it does, they use it. Things like that happen at PRS all the time. A couple of years ago, there were NOS 513 Rosewoods which came from a batch of Brazilian whose legality became suspect after they were made. They were all made at the same time as the orginal 513 Rosewoods, but stashed away until proper documentation could be found. I often wonder what else they have stashed somewhere.

I think the uncoated tuners were introduced first in the ME I and then gradually moved to the rest of the line up...
I heard it was DGT to the rest of the line from my regular woodpusher who has a very close relationship with PRS, and I have 2005 Modern Beagle that says different, but it's possible. The DGT was in development by the time of last "official" year of the MEI production, so it could be a chicken or egg thing. New ideas were always being tested by incorporating them into few guitars through the one-off program or prototyping around that time. The ME1, like the DGT, is just a souped up McCarty anyway, so it makes sense.

BTW, "Beagle" is not a misspelling, but that appellation only applies to that particular guitar and not the whole line.

Last edited:
I remember when the ME I and the 513 were introduced, I wondered why the same tuner design (with the offset screw design in the back) had plated tuners on the 513 and uncoated ones on the ME.
A few years later when I managed to get my 513, I wanted to change to the mixed hardware look, so I ordered a set of ME I tuners for it. They were unplated as well...

Here's my second Core PRS and first 513. New 14' in Royal Blue (colour was apparently a special order, not offered in 14 according to PRS). Beautiful colour in person.

Purchased online as PRS guitars are "rare birds" indeed in guitar shops where I live. Definately no 513's on offer. Just a few Custom 24, 22, McCartys & HB II's..

L
image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
image_1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
@BALIstic: Nice choice! Welcome to our group of exquisite guitar taste. I´m looking forward to your pictures after the guitar has moved into your home.

@Dancing Frog: "Senior 513 whore" is an absolutely appropriate description.

Oops, I did it again. My third Core PRS in eight months (wifey has put her foot down, no more till / unless, I unload a few....not happening !). 1x Pauls Guitar and 2x 513's. In fairness of though I have given the 14' Royal Blue 513 to my 16 yo son who recently got accepted into a large church youth worship band. He has some pretty awsome hand me downs already but the 513 is by far his favourite.
IMG_1727.jpeg

Incoming is a 15', 513 in Azul with a natural back and binding which looks white but I'm hoping is natural ? Should be with me early next week.
image_3.png

image_2.png

image_3.png

My 14' Pauls Guitar to complete the PRS picture.
image.jpg2.jpg

ENJOY !

image.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
Balistic - Congrats on your new guitar. Both 513's look great. I hope your son understands how good a guitar his dad has just given him. I never thought about owning a 2nd one myself, but why not (just have to ask the wife ;))

Thanks CVS. My son is a bit "Obsessive Compulsive" like me so he generally looks after things very well. He has plenty of other friends who play and he knows he's done exceedingly well in the guitar department for a kid of his age.

I have told told him that is his lucky last from me now. Well at least until they box me up, then my boys will get all my guitars. I've tried to put together a nice little collection that I'm hoping my boys will keep in the family. The guitars in my sig only make up about half of my personal guitar collection but that's all I could fit in the 5 lines.

I have a few few quirky guitars, I like variety.

So so many guitars and so little time.

Last edited:

PRS recently produced and published a feature video of the 513!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man - I gotta get me one of them left thumbs like Bryan has, one that can reach over the top of the neck and do that fretting thing.

Damn these Billy Barty hands!

Back