513s

A friend of mine has a 2005 513 RW aswell. I know for sure the review of one in the German "Gitarre & Bass". Indeed, they only translated a text of Mr. Burrluck (known as the author of the PRS book). But Burrluck stated that the necks were made of BRW blanks.

Maertl513 - I'd be really interested to know what the string to pickup distances are, now that your 513 has been reset.

He took no caliper but only his ears. I will measure the heights likewise typical recommendations (E and/or e string depressed at last fret). Within Friday you will get my numbers.

The MODCATS for the 513 Rosewoods were always wrong when comes to neck wood, neck carve, and inlays. It is always FTM2FTRFIBT. Every one that I have is like that from 2005-2007. They also have no 10 top indicators on the back of the neck, but rest assured they are the genuine article.

BTW, I never touch my pick up heights. Messed with that one when I had the first one. It took forever to get it back into line. The pick ups are very sensitive to height. I had measurements before, but I wound up adjusting it by ear.

Last edited:
ko4wHJoOuvbuuw3tG1gtTSCUV0KUy7UB4URMUT_AbThg1jpovrc4uYro4lGBn2YLgKJ8kS45VvJrDK3N-vuAFMatoRbTxtYq6HbKhA6ewX-1WPt74Pc3R1on6ZD5uIYClIKObAdl7HI6nXv2yA_EC15AO4Z75EeiGJty35YY825M2ZfJcbRydPSuHXvHmNXeo64KYd0RH65X9BGH_HP45Yj3JH0Jo3dRSFbwysWbcZ1OLzmyRZMUzUKNbRNnBRW6X_0qHfpDAbDngXGfW8lTq9G0mnByX9Kt9fLgjTCPxUFFW-BkErnMdc4D4yuQfRDFI5FR2LNic2ngpgqH-pseqz7Krg3Nre_S507sYFKDqHLm8hml1O-bv1JQq0qKgYXbH0Vc0gWqohIqJHBKb7wM7tNJTnWSwxk7Rdby2pQ2kPSGc7qEZAKiT5e7q-Dg1VAIZJ-pU2stYLHOG1yy4gEgu9f_4_PqVlQeasSq3Iik2Ut_N0FdEmlt3Loqkat3dFTgSIOzQYUfuViQF5JY0zNpjYj9IViSM_-O1eZkcOZe4oE=w1140-h773-no

[mm]
E01, Bass: 2,70
e01, Treble: 2,08

E02, Bass: 2,47
e02, Treble: 1,43

E03, Bass: 3,16
e03, Treble: 1,55

At E-string in put the caliper at the bass side of the string, at e-string at the treble site.

Badass!
What a riddle ;-)
Comparing to my guitar with those extra shielding layer in the cavities, I´m kinda impressed about the grounding and shielding of your 513 PS!
Have you a sort of tremol-no installed into your spring compartment?

ko4wHJoOuvbuuw3tG1gtTSCUV0KUy7UB4URMUT_AbThg1jpovrc4uYro4lGBn2YLgKJ8kS45VvJrDK3N-vuAFMatoRbTxtYq6HbKhA6ewX-1WPt74Pc3R1on6ZD5uIYClIKObAdl7HI6nXv2yA_EC15AO4Z75EeiGJty35YY825M2ZfJcbRydPSuHXvHmNXeo64KYd0RH65X9BGH_HP45Yj3JH0Jo3dRSFbwysWbcZ1OLzmyRZMUzUKNbRNnBRW6X_0qHfpDAbDngXGfW8lTq9G0mnByX9Kt9fLgjTCPxUFFW-BkErnMdc4D4yuQfRDFI5FR2LNic2ngpgqH-pseqz7Krg3Nre_S507sYFKDqHLm8hml1O-bv1JQq0qKgYXbH0Vc0gWqohIqJHBKb7wM7tNJTnWSwxk7Rdby2pQ2kPSGc7qEZAKiT5e7q-Dg1VAIZJ-pU2stYLHOG1yy4gEgu9f_4_PqVlQeasSq3Iik2Ut_N0FdEmlt3Loqkat3dFTgSIOzQYUfuViQF5JY0zNpjYj9IViSM_-O1eZkcOZe4oE=w1140-h773-no

[mm]
E01, Bass: 2,70
e01, Treble: 2,08

E02, Bass: 2,47
e02, Treble: 1,43

E03, Bass: 3,16
e03, Treble: 1,55

At E-string in put the caliper at the bass side of the string, at e-string at the treble site.

Cheers, buddy - you're a star! Now to check mine, just out of interest...

Badass!
What a riddle ;-)
Comparing to my guitar with those extra shielding layer in the cavities, I´m kinda impressed about the grounding and shielding of your 513 PS!
Have you a sort of tremol-no installed into your spring compartment?
I did, but it's mostly gone now. Rattled no matter what I did unlocked and slipped when locked. I have been trying to have it replaced with a trem stopper by the PTC, but somehow it has never happened.

Two of my guitars came with a Rockinger Blackbox, my Duesenberg Rockinger and my custom made Hollowbody.
I didn´t like the resistance and knocking (although wearing sleaze stickers on the vibrato block) while using the vibrato systems.
At my Rudvog my vibrato system has been screwed down to the top (at least diving is possible), at my Hollowbody I let a guitar tech rip off the blackbox. And it is adjusted as a floating system.

dscn0506-jpg.449819

Monday. No! I haven´t the blues.
Depicted are my beverage items (with some turn arounds) in good company.
I consume alcoholics very rarely and only in small dose. But over the years I collected a few Whiskys being presented by good friends or being purchased by myself (The Osbourne Sherry and Veterano (Brandy de Jerez) are only for completing the sujet...).
Latest member of my collection is the 15 y old Glenfiddich. I spend a day at an Army Reserve Officer information venue at my multinational staff department. Being allowed for duty free shopping, I selected this Whisky for a really good offer.
The Glen Grant Single Malt (Scotland) was a present by one of my officer comrads regarding my 30th birthday. The Slyrs Single Malt is a 2004 size. Slyrs is a German distillery located at Lake Schliersee in Bavaria (south of Munich). It was a present by a friend in 2009.
The three bootles in front of the Whiskys mentioned before carry Whisky (Single Malt and two Grains) made by a German vintner from the Schweinfurt area. It´s in the northern part of Bavaria, near the river Main.
The thin bootle (a Grain) is a 2004 size. It´s their first edition! In 2004 or 2005 the vine dresser´s approach to German Whisky has been promoted via TV. I was curious about the taste and bought six bottles. In contrast to them, I still have one of this first edition untouched!
The other two bottles are sizes from 2014. I like the taste of this German Whisky.

One of the Whisky experts - Jim Murray - rated their products with 91 and 91,5 points in his Whisky-Bible.

Ugh, someone was interested in buying my 513 last night so I pulled it out of the case for the first time in a while and man, these really are killer guitars and eye candy with the right top.

It was love at first sight, thats for sure. Heres the first photo I ever got of her:

rED2DZB.jpg

Monday. No! I haven´t the blues.
Depicted are my beverage items (with some turn arounds) in good company.

Dude, I love your guitar, REALLY I love your photos of it and I love your drink choice! haha

Last edited:
Ugh, someone was interested in buying my 513 last night so I pulled it out of the case for the first time in a while and man, these really are killer guitars and eye candy with the right top.

It was love at first sight, thats for sure. Heres the first photo I ever got of her:

rED2DZB.jpg

Dude, I love your guitar, REALLY I love your photos of it and I love your drink choice! haha

Amazing! Pulling out that pic you identify yourself the guy who bought his Black Gold one piece top 513 MT at Wildwood Guitars in 2011, too.
That said I would like to ask you sharing more pictures of your guitar, because in 2011 PRS did some little changes to the 513 over the year. Nice knowledge would be the date of final assembly aswell.

And I kindly ask you to keep your 513 :)

Amazing! Pulling out that pic you identify yourself the guy who bought his Black Gold one piece top 513 MT at Wildwood Guitars in 2011, too.
That said I would like to ask you sharing more pictures of your guitar, because in 2011 PRS did some little changes to the 513 over the year. Nice knowledge would be the date of final assembly aswell.

And I kindly ask you to keep your 513 :)

Haha, wow you have quite an eye for detail. Yes, that would be me. I'll try and pull out the case candy and get that information for you :)

I´m little bit sad to hear, that themike will sell his unique 513.

But nice that he showed off with his picture because it stresses again the special year 2011 of PRS 513s.
Once in a while I noticed this picture in the net. The data name carried the supposed S/N (11 17 27 64).

In 2011 13.270 core line PRS have been assembled, his guitar is the 172.764th (core line) PRS produced since starting the business.

As a repetition: PRS changed without big announcement a few specs at the 513. Official advertised specs: Phase II tuners, 513 (compensated) nut.
That´s not a big deal, indeed. But it lead to slightly different variations over the production circle in 2011. And - this is my conclusion - PRS wasn´t as stringent as expected.

Summary:
To give the extreme positions in 2011: 2011 advertised specs (Phase II tuners, 513 nut) vs. 2012 advertised specs (Phase III tuners, new PRS nut)
First PRS changed the nut, then they changed the tuners.

I´ll give real examples of my market research to that time I felt the decision buying a 513 MT. I still have the S/N of these guitars (and pictures).
Of course MY specs have been descripted as a 10-top quilted top 513 MT in Black Gold, but I put other guitars at my favourites list aswell.

A) 11 17 10 68: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners
B) 11 17 18 35: 513 nut, Phase II tuners
C) 11 17 20 72: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners
D) 11 17 21 05: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners
E) 11 17 2x xx: 513 nut, Phase II tuners (This guitar is property of one of my German collegues, procurred at Wildwood Guitars, too. He wasn´t as kind giving me his full S/N.)
F) 11 17 27 64: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners (supposed) (It´s the guitar of our dear member themike.)
G) 11 17 34 51: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners
H) 11 17 52 44: new PRS nut, Phase II tuners
I) 11 17 67 39: new PRS nut, Phase III tuners
J) 11 17 84 76: new PRS nut, Phase III tuners
K) 11 17 86 24: new PRS nut, Phase III tuners (This guitar was the alternative 513 MT Wildwood Guitars had had in stock in 2011, too.)
L) 11 17 89 25: new PRS nut, Phase III tuners (This is my 513 MT of course.)
M) 11 18 04 24: new PRS nut, Phase IIi tuners

The exception proofs the rule. According to the S/N guitars A), B), and E) are outside the rule.
I expected, I guess you aswell, the earlier guitars have been assembled with 513 nut (and Phase II tuners), then they changed to new PRS, and after implementing this, changed the tuners to Phase III (Is there any stock model PRS 513 out with 513 nut and Phase III???).

Strange improvement process!

Last edited:
Actually, it's the way it always been. Some improvements follow lessons learned from other models, and some follow supply. For example, when the DGT came out, 513's started to show up with the coatings removed from the string contact points on the bridges and the machines like the DGT. Tuners have been pretty much following the rest of fleet.

But once an improvement has been installed into the production line for any reason (something is better), it's kind of strange to assemble a spare part which has been changed already.

Back