509 vs Semi-Hollow special

The voicings of the two are quite different. The good news, however, is that you can’t possibly screw this up. Both guitars are worth owning, and either would make most players pretty darn happy.

In any case, there’s no perfect choice, there are just alternate excellent choices. You really can’t miss either way.

I have a 509 and a SSH...although neither has a maple fretboard. My SSH has rosewood, and my 509 is cocobolo. I’d definitely agree with what others have said here. They are completely different instruments that can each cover a lot of sonic ground. If you’ve already got a strat, that might give the SSH an edge. To my ears, they definitely have different single coil tones (although both very beautiful) but the 509 will probably get you more in the strat ballpark.

As for the rosewood/maple dilemma, I suppose that’s up to your ears. I would imagine maple would brighten the SSH up a bit more.

Whichever one you decide on, you’re going to be a VERY happy camper. They are both incredible instruments!

@althea Welcome to the 'Special' club and hope you have a lot of fun and enjoyment from it...

I saw the Specials a few weeks ago. Great looking guitars. Lovely tones too. I'm on the fence about a purchase :(

Back