PRS 594 vs. Special 22 Semi-Hollow

sillypilot

Hi all - So a few days ago I asked about opinions on the Special 22 Semi-Hollow vs. a DGT. It was clear the preference was the DGT. Both guitars are great, and the general conclusion was similar to what I thought as well.

So the next question is the Special 22 Semi-Hollow vs. a 594? This again comes mostly from the rock guitar perspective. I personally prefer the 594, it is just a simple guitar that I think can do it all easily for me. For those of you who have experience with both, what do you think?

Jorge

Hi all - So a few days ago I asked about opinions on the Special 22 Semi-Hollow vs. a DGT. It was clear the preference was the DGT. Both guitars are great, and the general conclusion was similar to what I thought as well.

So the next question is the Special 22 Semi-Hollow vs. a 594? This again comes mostly from the rock guitar perspective. I personally prefer the 594, it is just a simple guitar that I think can do it all easily for me. For those of you who have experience with both, what do you think?

Jorge
What you might want to ask first is whether people prefer a solid body, or a hollow or semi-hollow body. PRS' semi-hollows are more of a specialty instrument for most players. They augment the more popular solid body models.

People who prefer a solid body guitar are almost always going to prefer a solid body model, and recommend that in any comparison like this, and since solids are more popular, they'll always win.

Remember, also, that the DGT has been in the lineup a long time, the 594 for a good number of years, and the Special a short time. Many more people have played/owned a DGT and a 594 than a Special.

To add more uncertainty, look at the numbers - you have a small sample size here. I wouldn't consider a vote here to mean much.

I have had a Special, and have a DGT coming. I have a 594. They're so different. It's comparing apples to oranges. Totally different flavors.

It's the same with 594 vs Special. The 594 is solid body, though they did make a limited run semi hollow, and they still make a full hollow body model.

So the first question is, do you prefer a solid body or a semi-hollow body? That's the real question that must be answered before you go on to the next step, such as whether the favorite is the 594 or the DGT. Moreover, the DGT has a Tremolo, the 594 has a two piece stop tail bridge. So they're fundamentally different, too. And all three guitars have different necks and a different feel.

The questions of course can only be answered if you play all three and decide for yourself. Picking an instrument that's right for you isn't (and probably shouldn't be) a popularity contest, it's a personal, intimate choice. How do you want to sound? What feels right in your hands?

We all play different styles, for which different guitars work or don't work as well - for us, and maybe not for you - and that has to also be factored in. You might play metal, I might play country, or blues. Chances are, we're going to be drawn to different instruments.

Last edited:
One other thing I'd like to add: Buying instruments on the internet without playing them first is a recipe for wasted money. You spend for a guitar, and discover it isn't right for you, you post it on Reverb or wherever, take a loss and say it's great, but you didn't bond with it. I've done it myself.

It's like a dice game. It's just so much better to be familiar personally with each model's sound and feel and not waste time and money.

Popularity contests don't cut it. How is anyone else able to predict what you'll like about what you hear, or how an instrument will feel in your unique hands? Doesn't make sense.

These are interesting questions. I confess to learning that I didn’t like a pattern thin neck the hard way. So Les Laszlo’s advice to try before you buy is well taken. And if the top is important, buying the top you see rather than the top that is yet to be delivered is the devil in the details.

I really enjoy my SSH with the stock pickups that many here do not prefer. That’s me. But I respect those who disagree and encourage the discussion to drill down on the “why.” It’s the intellectual curiosity that keeps me thinking what else might work.

It’s also that thinking that might yet make me a victim of husband-cide,

The current debate is whether to trade in my other PRS (MEV) for a two pickup, like a DGT. I doubt I will do anything, buts it’s fun to think about.

Jorge

I saw your other thread, and now this one - any reason you're not considering a ME V? Very similar pickup configuration to the Special, but solid body. Seems to be the thing you're kind of circling around, but not mentioning.

When it comes to the SSH vs 594, to me the 594 is the ballsy bridge pickup, chunky sound, and neck pickup with the warm sustain. The Special is surgical, very precise note definition on the bridge pickup, and can do a lot of the funky stuff thanks to the middle pickup as well as the overall less thick tone. I think they're both great, it really does depend on what you need to do.

It’s always good to research a purchase before committing to a long term investment. That being said, a guitar is an extremely personal instrument/tool. I would break down the components of the different guitars and decide the “ingredients” you’re looking for and then play test. For example:

Fixed vs Floating Bridge - you can do things on a floating bridge that are impossible on a fixed one without a pitch shifting pedal of some kind but bends (especially with open ringing strings) will be affected along with feel

Scale Length - 25” vs 24.594” which affects the feel greatly and will impact ability to down tune your guitar if that’s something you’re looking at

Pickup Combination - HSH vs HH not only the difference in tones but playing area. If you don’t like your pick scraping plastic pickup rings or the pickups themselves then you’ll have a narrower field of space to play on with a multi pickup guitar

Neck Carve - Are you the type of player that can adapt to most anything or do you specifically prefer one kind of neck carve whether it be thin or thick? I used to think I was thin only but I’ve found I adapt to the instrument and love my silver sky.

There’s a lot more that goes into tone like pickup type, body thickness, etc. Breaking down an instrument into its core components helps me decide what I’m looking for.

I cannot play on a pattern vintage neck at all so that would be the deciding factor for me.

I'm lucky to have the Special with a flame maple neck and a 594 HBII with an ebony fb. The Special is the jack of all trades , tons of tonal variations and plays like a dream. If you want a trem , the choice is easy. If you like the neck on a DGT ... try a Westie ...KL33, or Santana their 24 fret 24.5" is my favorite of all and dimensionally not far off the DGT.

A TremEndus tremolo stabilizer installed with the backspring set correctly for a little stronger tremolo bridge spring tension will squash those string bend induced sags! I get a hair more sustain with the bridge at rest as well without losing my tremolo shimmer techniques.

Back