‘97 McCarty wiring

Stewart Ross

That’s an option. They also sell PRS prewired ones if you like. With wiring it really is up to the owner.

If you are going to buy a custom harness, I would recommend either Lil Huddys out of Newport News Virginia, or Jackson Electronic Luthiers out of Houston Texas. Their prices are probably double what you are looking at, but you get what you pay for. I have used both on seperate rebuilds and they do excellent work. They have also been very helpful with troubleshooting over the phone as well.

If you are going to buy a custom harness, I would recommend either Lil Huddys out of Newport News Virginia, or Jackson Electronic Luthiers out of Houston Texas. Their prices are probably double what you are looking at, but you get what you pay for. I have used both on seperate rebuilds and they do excellent work. They have also been very helpful with troubleshooting over the phone as well.
I bought a JEL harness but got refunded because I asked how long it would take. Sensitive cry baby behavior so I just had a custom one made from Reverb.

Making your own is really not that difficult

upload phot

Is the one currently in the guitar faulty?
Oh, I know I could do it. I do all my own wiring in my Warwick basses as I was primarily a bassist for a long time until recently. I’m in between a move so my soldering iron and tools are packed away. I also got refunded from Guitar Center for an amp they shipped me that arrived partially broken so I have the cash to spend on a nice handmade harness.

I bought a JEL harness but got refunded because I asked how long it would take. Sensitive cry baby behavior so I just had a custom one made from Reverb.
Hmm, the last time i tried buying from him i got the same thing. Rand was a real professional the first harness I bought. Then Covid hit and he really changed for the worse.

Bought my first McCarty from Reverb. I was told it was stock. While the pickups might be stock/original, this wiring sure isn’t :confused: any recommendations for a quality made replacement harness? Was thinking of having this person build me one: https://reverb.com/item/11280864-ma...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=11280864. Here are some pictures of the mess that’s currently in it: https://imgur.com/a/NFZ2klj
It is likely your pickups and wiring were all replaced by the previous owner. PRS would never leave the pickup conductors that long, or at least un-tied.

If you end up doing the work yourself, refer to Lindy Fralin's website for ample, sound advice for proper wiring. I just rewired a Private Stock Santana. I was surprised how little room there is in that tone triangle, but I was able to fit what I wanted.

AVvXsEhPqVALtVQZN_rOnWWMbfioMx7rR9ZcjzF53jRuWa9R5XpJeVEi5G39xkISxcggGofaRzAxpvWnbyS-HWtKEeR1XPO7HYv1-lT2V4pj_JDaCkdM8Zdh__z9dvGlXIxJdvXZugki_cayr4VjBd0Z1Q2Fj7G_t4YfLhFc_3d68a7_bLcFMSJ09sPE6Lou=s4032

It looks like a mess but it sounds great and is super quiet. I used that solid blue cloth wire to relocate the ground buss. I also zip-tied the tone cap to an underlying wire to protect the leads before buttoning it all up.

PRS would never leave the pickup conductors that long, or at least un-tied.

I wouldn't bet on it. Here's cavity shot of my Custom. Notice the wire folded under the tone cap. I actually reworked the cavity with copper at some point but it trashed the tone of the guitar so I ripped it off.

...and stock Standard's wiring before I changed thing or two. My standard is from same era than OP's guitar

I personally think the wiring is stock

I wouldn't bet on it. Here's cavity shot of my Custom. Notice the wire folded under the tone cap. I actually reworked the cavity with copper at some point but it trashed the tone of the guitar so I ripped it off.

...and stock Standard's wiring before I changed thing or two. My standard is from same era than OP's guitar

I personally think the wiring is stock
Fair enough. I've never seen that myself. I think the first picture in the OP post takes the cake for dirty mess, though. WOW.

Fair enough. I've never seen that myself. I think the first picture in the OP post takes the cake for dirty mess, though. WOW.

Agree, especially the ground point on the Volume pot. Yuck

Same time if it works... you not gonna date it, it doesn't have to look nice

It is likely your pickups and wiring were all replaced by the previous owner. PRS would never leave the pickup conductors that long, or at least un-tied.

If you end up doing the work yourself, refer to Lindy Fralin's website for ample, sound advice for proper wiring. I just rewired a Private Stock Santana. I was surprised how little room there is in that tone triangle, but I was able to fit what I wanted.

AVvXsEhPqVALtVQZN_rOnWWMbfioMx7rR9ZcjzF53jRuWa9R5XpJeVEi5G39xkISxcggGofaRzAxpvWnbyS-HWtKEeR1XPO7HYv1-lT2V4pj_JDaCkdM8Zdh__z9dvGlXIxJdvXZugki_cayr4VjBd0Z1Q2Fj7G_t4YfLhFc_3d68a7_bLcFMSJ09sPE6Lou=s4032

It looks like a mess but it sounds great and is super quiet. I used that solid blue cloth wire to relocate the ground buss. I also zip-tied the tone cap to an underlying wire to protect the leads before buttoning it all up.

I think that’s very neat.

Well, I got the harness dropped in. It’s nice and clean and it sounds great. It could very well be placebo, but it sounds more resonant and present now. It’s original spec it would’ve shipped with in ‘97 down to the cap and resistors on the tone pot. Loving it! Everyone’s guitars are looking very nice. Glad the wiring that was in there is gone. I know it doesn’t have to look pretty but it gives me peace of mind knowing it’s clean and has solid connections.
bpY2ZXd

Last edited:
Back