You never know what's going to walk in the door...

JMintzer

Bobble Head Moderator
So, I often talk to my patients about hobbies, their lives, etc...

I have one patient who told me about some old guns and a guitar she had from her late husband... The guns were all sold to a relative (never found out exactly what they were), and the guitar had been in a closet for ever. I mentioned that if she wanted, she could bring in the guitar and I'd check it out for her. She had no idea of the make/model...

So today, she walks in with a 1953 Martin D-28 in very good condition. Typical play wear (some buckle rash, pick wear around the sound hole), non-original case and 2 of the bridge pins are much smaller and a different color. Either 4 have been replace, or two have, not sure which. No cracks seen in the body, top or bridge, and just a hint of pick guard curling by the E-string along with the requisite tiny pick guard induced crack in the top...

The action is perfect, all the tuners work just fine, no neck reset needed. The frets are smaller (not sure if they've been leveled or not), but there is no buzzing or fret-out noted...

All in all a gorgeous example of a post war Brazilian D-28...

I told her I'd take it to a local vintage dealer to get an appraisal... I just may wind up buying it myself!

Oh, and here's the best part... She said there is also an electric guitar at home... Bought around the same time... She's bringing that in at next appointment...

Holy crap! Cant wait to hear what the electric is.

So, I often talk to my patients about hobbies, their lives, etc...

I have one patient who told me about some old guns and a guitar she had from her late husband... The guns were all sold to a relative (never found out exactly what they were), and the guitar had been in a closet for ever. I mentioned that if she wanted, she could bring in the guitar and I'd check it out for her. She had no idea of the make/model...

So today, she walks in with a 1953 Martin D-28 in very good condition. Typical play wear (some buckle rash, pick wear around the sound hole), non-original case and 2 of the bridge pins are much smaller and a different color. Either 4 have been replace, or two have, not sure which. No cracks seen in the body, top or bridge, and just a hint of pick guard curling by the E-string along with the requisite tiny pick guard induced crack in the top...

The action is perfect, all the tuners work just fine, no neck reset needed. The frets are smaller (not sure if they've been leveled or not), but there is no buzzing or fret-out noted...

All in all a gorgeous example of a post war Brazilian D-28...

I told her I'd take it to a local vintage dealer to get an appraisal... I just may wind up buying it myself!

Oh, and here's the best part... She said there is also an electric guitar at home... Bought around the same time... She's bringing that in at next appointment...

That's an awesome find! Please post pics of whatever she brings in! This kind of thing reminds me of what is known as a "barn find", to car and motorcyle enthusiasts. Good stuff!

Electric bought around the same time? If she brings in a REAL "Nocaster" I'm going to fall over.

I played a '55 Telecaster in Seattle not too long ago. I was like, "This is a really cool guitar. How much?" The shop answered, "$30,000". I handed it back to them. It was nice, but not THAT nice.

3:35 a.m. and I just gut laughed so loud it apparently woke Princess Cheesy Poof all the way outta bed...and she ain't happy about it...it couldnt be helped!:D Good one man!
Please, please PLEASE tell me that you didn't call her that again! If you did, just type in whatever jibberish you can with your casts, and we'll send help.

Electric bought around the same time? If she brings in a REAL "Nocaster" I'm going to fall over.

I played a '55 Telecaster in Seattle not too long ago. I was like, "This is a really cool guitar. How much?" The shop answered, "$30,000". I handed it back to them. It was nice, but not THAT nice.

Not positive when he bought it, or if he even bought it new...

She said he bought it several years before they got married in 1960...

Please, please PLEASE tell me that you didn't call her that again! If you did, just type in whatever jibberish you can with your casts, and we'll send help.

I call her that all the time...all the time that she is at a safe diatance away from me... As in she is no where within ear shot or at least a few miles away from home. Hey I'm crazy....but I'm not stupid nor do I have a death wish...she scare the sh!t outta me...but good lookin out bro:p

I call her that all the time...all the time that she is at a safe diatance away from me... As in she is no where within ear shot or at least a few miles away from home. Hey I'm crazy....but I'm not stupid nor do I have a death wish...she scare the sh!t outta me...but good lookin out bro:p
Just remember to text the secret emergency code to me if you are tied up or if you're on the floor and can't feel your legs. I'm working on one of those "Lifeline" necklaces for you that will send the text to me and the local police at the same time, but I'm afraid she'll get suspicious, so I'm having one made that's shaped like a guitar pick. You can tell her it's just a gift from the guys at the forum. I need to get the "ok" from someone at PRS to put a PRS logo on it to make it more believable.

Back