Why don't guitar's without pickguards get scratched?

Guithartic

All my guitars are Gibsons and Fenders (and one D'Angelico) with pickguards, and the pickguards have scratches on them. When I see PRS or a signature Slash Les Paul, I always wonder how people play those without scratching them up. Do some players just not let the pick touch the body? Is the lacquer more protective? Do the guitars get scratched, and people just don't care? What gives? Serious question from a (soon-to-be-PRS-owner)

Pick scratches are there.. move the guitar different angles and light. Some show more than others and some buff out better than others. The guitar, finish, grain, pick, player, and whatever else are all factors too. Guitars are meant to be played. Don't sweat the inevitable.

Last edited:
I'm not hitting that area with a pick while playing. I am hitting it with my fingernails; I hold a pick with my fingers semi-splayed. Might be hitting it with a pick and fingernails when I go to adjust the controls.

Me play like caveman. Cherry Bomb got scratches. Me don't love scratches. But, me love playing Cherry Bomb.

Years ago, I joined the only other forum I've ever been on. It was devoted to a certain brand of rifle. I small number of new ops there started complaining about "brass kisses" (discoloration of the brass deflector) caused by ejected brass cases hitting the brass deflector. Which is the job of the brass deflector. A wise old sage on that forum, in answer to the new ops question on how best to avoid this discoloration, advised them to never fire their rifle.

Unless I win a lottery or somehow inherit a sh*t-ton of money, I'll never own a PS, Artist Top, or even a Core with a 10-top. If I did own one of those, I guess I'd be concerned about pick scratches, and maybe even just hang the guitars in a display case. Or play them very gingerly.

PRS guitars are among the most beautiful guitars made. Once we own one, we continue to be enamored by their beauty, and want to protect that beauty from harm. But, I bought my Thinline to play. The pick scratches on Cherry Bomb are only an indication that I play her often and with emotion.

Me play like caveman. Cherry Bomb got scratches. Me don't love scratches. But, me love playing Cherry Bomb.

Years ago, I joined the only other forum I've ever been on. It was devoted to a certain brand of rifle. I small number of new ops there started complaining about "brass kisses" (discoloration of the brass deflector) caused by ejected brass cases hitting the brass deflector. Which is the job of the brass deflector. A wise old sage on that forum, in answer to the new ops question on how best to avoid this discoloration, advised them to never fire their rifle.

Unless I win a lottery or somehow inherit a sh*t-ton of money, I'll never own a PS, Artist Top, or even a Core with a 10-top. If I did own one of those, I guess I'd be concerned about pick scratches, and maybe even just hang the guitars in a display case. Or play them very gingerly.

PRS guitars are among the most beautiful guitars made. Once we own one, we continue to be enamored by their beauty, and want to protect that beauty from harm. But, I bought my Thinline to play. The pick scratches on Cherry Bomb are only an indication that I play her often and with emotion.

Never say never. ;)

Lol... I have a pretty good idea I know which rifle forum.
No love for electrical tape on the brass deflector?

Back