When You DON'T Reach For Your PRS, What Do You Reach For?

I've got a Fender '62 Hot Rod Strat, a Heritage H-157, BC Rich Mockingbird, and a R&R Relics Thunder (DC LP Jr). More often than not, they don't make a PRS that get's me the tone or the shape/vibe of one of these guitars.

My old trusty late 70's set three piece maple neck MIJ Les Paul. Was just supposed to just hold me over between selling my Deluxe and buying a Standard, and for modding. Dang thing ended up staying for the last 34 years or so.

I was all in for a while.

Now I have a killer Gibson R9. It is the best of the three R9's I've had - a really exceptional guitar...

...and I still prefer my PTC-modified SE One. When I'm not playing a thoroughbred PRS guitar, I reach for something made by World Musical Instruments, Inc.

attachment.php

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;168860 said:

Now I have a killer Gibson R9. It is the best of the three R9's I've had - a really exceptional guitar...

...and I still prefer my PTC-modified SE One. When I'm not playing a thoroughbred PRS guitar, I reach for something made by World Musical Instruments, Inc.

attachment.php

I love this one. I've said it before, we need more PRSi with opaque colors!

I've been playing a Les Paul that was built for special run for Guitar Center as my main gigging guitar lately. It's basically the Jimmy Page guitar without Page's signature. I don't know why I've bonded with it like I have, even though I have 3 amazing Private Stocks, and a crazy SCT IRW.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;168860 said:

attachment.php
Wow...love it!! :adore:

I use an Ibanez S2120x. For anyone not familiar with the S series, they are thin mahogany bodied guitars with a really full natural tone and sustain... (I've had four of them over the years). The model I have also has a piezo floyd... I must take some pics...

Hand made Heritage Guitars, made in the original Gibson factory building in Kalamazoo Michigan whenever I want to play a brand new vintage guitar. But I have more PRS guitars in my collection.

Either my Cunetto Nocaster, or my Martin D-35...

I remember picking up that D-35 once and whacking out a tune on it. Nice guitar! I think I remember that Nocaster too? Love those. :)

As for me, well, I have a lot of guitars downstairs. I do grab PRSi fairly regularly, in fact I just played my PS KingsleyDGT on a gig last night, on a somewhat goofy but fun mashup (Shaky Ground > Whole Lotta Love > Gimme Some Lovin), but you're more likely to find me with an Artinger in my hands. I own a dozen of Matt's instruments -- electric & acoustic guitars, steels, and a mandolin.

A handful of non-PRS and non-Artinger faves:

• Scott Walker Phoenix
  • Amber, a '52 Les Paul that Johan Gustavsson restored & turned into a '59 (with PAFs and all vintage parts)
  • Ruokangas "Babs" (Unicorn model, LP-type), VSOP (S-type) and Mojo Grande (T-type) -- Juha is from Finland and builds excellent guitars in these traditional styles
  • Ken Parker Archtop -- pretty much the Best Guitar Ever IMO
  • Teuffel Niwa -- google it if you've never heard of it
  • Sadowsky NYC-J bass in candy apple orange

Back