When You DON'T Reach For Your PRS, What Do You Reach For?

Hedonismbot

I apologize for nothing!
Wandering through the desert on a horse with no na
As a resident noob here, I am curious. When you want to jam, and you don't grab your PRS, what do you reach for and why? Personally, I reach for my Gibson Traditional Pro Explorer or my Custom-made guitar (made by a local luthier). In the case of the Gibson, it's one of the few guitars I picked up off the wall and felt it played and sounded pretty much perfect right then and there. The custom-job is fairly obvious. Other than that, when I want to work on writing I grab my '95 MIM Strat. Why? I've been writing music on it since I was 14 years old. Best not to disrupt the mojo! :wink:

How about you guys?

Electric or acoustic, I only have one of each :wink:. And that certainly won't change when my Paul's Guitar arrives :D. But seriously, I would grab my SE if there was anything to worry about. At the same time, I want the one that makes me feel the best. So........

I have a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat that I've modded with all new hardware and electronics: locking Kluson-style Gotoh tuners, a MIM deluxe trem, all new pots/cap/switch, and noiseless pickups (Dimarzio Area 67, Area 58, and Virtual Vintage Blues). Fenders are great for tinkering with, and the Squier Classic Vibe series is an incredible bang for the buck.

I almost never touch it, though. I only reach for it if I'm really trying to recreate Eric Johnson's tone, or if I want a really pure Strat neck pickup tone (the Area 67 is phenomenal at the neck).

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass, one of the original run that has Duncan Designed pickups in it. Another amazing bang for the buck. I use it for all my bass stuff.

I also have a Seagull S12 acoustic, because PRS doesn't make an affordable 12-string acoustic. Sounds fantastic, better even than most high-end 12-strings I've heard.

Oh, and a Weber Hyalite A-style mandolin, which I don't really know how to play but use for accent stuff.

But when it comes to electric and acoustic 6-strings, PRS dominates my collection.

I will grab my schecter C1+ and hand it to the guy that's going to buy it from me then I will grab an orange shady.

I've mainly been playing one of two Telecasters since 2007. I got really hooked on their sound and tinkering with them. But my PRS fever is making a comeback, so one of the Teles is about to be sold to make room.

For an acoustic, a Collings OM1. (I highly recommend playing one if you ever get the chance. Well, unless you want to avoid the ensuing internal justification of the price, even if used).
For electric, a Hamer Artist Studio and a Fender Strat are about tied for the most common.

Either my Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider-S or P.A. HB Custom Sunbursts. Both great working man guitars for the money.

If you mean electric, I only have and play the PRSi, a Heritage LP or a MIM strat. Covers all the bases.

My favorite guitar is my Alvarez Yairi DY74C made in 1990. Incredible sound. I only own two electrics, the PRS S2 Semi-Hollow Mira I just bought and a Jimmie Vaughn Tex Mex Strat. I find the PRS much more comfortable to play and may sell the Strat soon. Especially since the Mira switches between humbuckers and single coil. Really two guitars in one.

Last edited:
Acoustic: who doesn't like a Brazilian with a Florentine cutaway
CK_655ArtDecoBack.JPG

Electric: a little something Ron Thorn whipped up
CK_583ElsaPickups.JPG

One of my Thorns. Ron has simply nailed the perfect tone of a P90 guitar with his version of a P90 and with a korina/limba body and neck.

Last edited:
Usually my two JET's get the majority of "nonPRS playtime", but my custom build Suhr and Fender MB Clapton have been getting more love lately....

Back