When did you know you wanted to play guitar?

Hearing The Smashing Pumpkins when I was 12 was what inspired me to play guitar. Unfortunately, my parents thought guitars were a waste of money so I didn’t get one of my own until I was in my 20s. First song I learned to play? Disarm, of course. ^_^

Thanks Pennyroyal for reviving this thread, it took me on an interesting journey into my dim and distant past!

An album I hadn’t listened to for about 30 years!

Seals and Crofts - Unborn Child 1974.

The track - Dance by the Light of the Moon

Guitarist - Louis Shelton

It would have been circa ‘78-‘79, me listening to this track on my mum and dads turntable. Trusted to listen to vinyl, headphones on, playing “Air guitar” like a pro!

Go to 3:00 for my best “air guitar” solo -

Yesterday.

Then I sat down and couldn't consistently hit that tap harmonic I wanted so I put it back down.

Originally I wanted to sing but I didn't make Chorus in 5th grade so my parents got me an acoustic.
Brutal action dissuaded me from getting too far until 8th grade. 1980-1981 type influences were Sabbath, Priest, BOC, Triumph, ACDC, Clapton.
And I loved Iron Maiden. Unfortunately, nobody in my family or friends had any musical background. I thought, 2 guitarists, rhythm and lead, why don't my leads sound like that?
I really could've used an internet back then.

I've been playing since 1976 or so, when I learned to play in elementary school. My skill level has not progressed much beyond high school, but I enjoy it just the same. Always had this dream of being able to play like the pros, still do.

Got my first guitar when I was about 12 (my parents basically said I had no hobbies and forced me to take up one). They took me to a guitar shop and of course I picked the pointiest Dean in the store (what else is a 12 year old going to pick?). Anyways, I took lessons for a few months but started skipping them cause it wasn't my cup of tea. I would pick it up about 5 minutes a week just to say that I had practiced.

About a year later, my dad was taking me to soccer practice and he decided to bring some of his old CDs with him. I think Van Halen and Kiss were included in the ones he brought, but whenever he played Estranged by Guns N' Roses, the guitar was crying and I had to be able to do that. Became the biggest Slash fan in a second. I remember exactly where we were at, the time, what I was doing...nearly everything about that moment. Turned out to be one the biggest single life changes so far.

Absolutely one of the best things to ever happen to me, even including the countless dollars "wasted" (are they really though?...:D....) and the girls I've ignored over the years for it.

I've known for several decades, but only recently started. Me and my co-workers were listening to Pink Floyd in the car, and someone asked how he did something, and I explained it, and the person asked if I played guitar, and I said, "no", but I've wanted to ever since. I've always understood the theory behind playing guitar, and the appeal, just never took it up.

My first time was in grade school (5th grade) I was asked to play an autoharp for a Stephen Foster concert. I did and loved it. After the concert, my music teacher suggested I should try playing guitar. I did. Never looked back.

Last edited:
My folks told me I was asking for a guitar by age three, and for some reason never took it seriously. By the time I was 12 or so, a friend showed me how to play a few riffs, and I was hooked.

I remember my first case of GAS, too: an original Rockman X100.

Mom always blasted records when I was a kid. A couple of the cool sounds that got me wanting to play were courtesy of Rainbow, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles. But it was when she popped on Iron Maiden's 'Killers' that it became a done deal. I HAD to make those sounds!!!

My grandpa, brother and mum all played the guitar, but I didn't care much about it or wanted to play something different to kind of stand out. I started on drums, but when I saw a Sonic Youth concert back in '99, then I knew I wanted to play guitar as well.

1978 when 10. I saw Ace Frehly's guitar solo. When the smoke stated pouring from the pickups of his LP...I was DONE! When the hidden cable made it fly from his hands...I almost lost consciousness.....

1978 when 10. I saw Ace Frehly's guitar solo. When the smoke stated pouring from the pickups of his LP...I was DONE! When the hidden cable made it fly from his hands...I almost lost consciousness.....
I wanted to make a cheeky comment about you losing consciousness ever since, but I know you deal with a sh!tloaf of pain, so I’ll let that one go.

Heck no, you married a red head, you deserve everything you get:p;)

You’re still my “southern brother”:D

Last edited:
I wanted to make a cheeky comment about you losing consciousness ever since, but I know you deal with a sh!tloaf of pain, so I’ll let that one go.

Heck no, you married a red head, you deserve everything you get:p;)

You’re still my “southern brother”:D

Genuine gut laughed when I read this...OOWWWW! I've fallen and I can't get up! Translation: The Redhead just pushed me down the stairs...she's so MEAN!

Aye! Back at ya! Ya kilt wearin Scotsman!

1970...maybe ‘69...not sure...but I was 6 and my mom loved Chicago. Not only were they all over the radio, but that’s when I first heard Terry Kath and his powerful work on 25 or 6 to 4. All I could hear in my head was my soul screaming, “I wanna play like that!”. That was also my first deep appreciation for a wah-wah pedal. I still use his exiting riff from the solo today.

In college. My roommate asked me what instrument I played. I said "I don't." He looked at me like I was crazy! Then he said "go home this summer, buy a guitar, bring it back, and I'll teach you how to play!" A Yamaha FG150 acoustic. Honestly, I was studying too hard (Electrical Engineering) to learn more than a few chords. But I had fun.

After college it collected dust in my closet until years later I mentioned to my neighbor, who played in a band in college in Ireland (U2 opened for his band, it obviously was their early days, ha!), that I used to play some guitar. He says "go get it!" and within two months we had a band and were playing informal parties and gigs. The second time was the charm!

1976, when I first heard John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (Beano Album) and Led Zeppelin II. I was only 4 but listening to those two albums on my Dad's reel-to-reel tape machine that he brought back from the Army over in Germany was what got the ball rolling for me. I used to sit there mesmerized for hours. And later on as a teenager, I discovered Jimi Hendrix and that led to even more wonderful music to be enamored with. I got my first real guitar and amp in 1987 (Fender Stratocaster with a Fender Champ 12, later to be replaced by a Marshall Master Reverb 30 combo amp. Still have that Marshall today...) and from there, it started a lifelong pursuit of all things six-strings.

Back